Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    To remove the search from the taskbar right click the task bar, go to search and hit "hidden" that should do it.....

On another note... None of my apps will update. They get downloaded and then it gets an error. Anyone else getting this(or had it and fixed it?) Thanks

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What a strange way of doing that. I mean really, they still have "Taskbar and Navigation" in the control panel, but it's essentially a ghost town now compared to previous windows versions. Every time there's a new Windows, there's fewer and fewer options in there. Not sure why they even kept it at this point if they're going to move all the options all around to random places.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Easy access there :D

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I assume at some point in the years to come, there will be no Win32 left in Windows, Win 8 start screen was the first move to XAML, now parts of Control Panel are moving over, resolution settings etc is now available in two places....

It's still a hacked up mess IMO, wish they'd have left us with Win32 until XAML was ready to take over 100%, pointless having to use both, especially when XAML is so limited and weak

Right click an open window on the taskbar, jump lists are XAML, move your mouse to an empty part of the taskbar, right click, Win32 ...

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'd rather both than just XAML. As just Legacy is no longer going to be an option. Can't handle XAML, it's a big step backwards.
    Sort of like going from a fully functional website to a basic mobile application.

6. SlickR

SlickR Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    So far not very good. privacy nightmare!

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What do you mean?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So would I, but there's no changing their mind now, we will likely end up with pure XAML eventually, I can't stand the frankenmess with them both

At least with 8.1, installing SiB removed XAML from sight 100%, no Win32 was harmed other than the start menu which was easily replaced

XAML should have stayed with mobile apps, it should never have become part of the OS

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I know. If XAML didn't get simplified, even the simplest of things requires legacy. It's just half baked and nowhere near release, it's frustrating. I guess this time as a positive we're not stuck with fullscreen XAML.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, that's a plus, but it's pretty pathetic that we don't even have a right click context menu for things like libraries on the XAML start menu, the best they could give us is PIN, UNPIN, RESIZE?

Actually, just checking, for libraries on that menu, there is only Pin to start

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    As soon as I needed to change a startup parameters for a start menu shortcut and realized I had to open file location to do it, ClassicShell was installed.
    I mean I get the unified idea behind Windows 10 but as you said it's a frankenstein monster of XAML and legacy. If only DX12 was backported to 8.1 :D

It's like the fundamental design principles that made Windows so great to me is vanishing with XAML.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wasn't going to install 10 until I found out SiB was being developed for it, then I decided I could cope with the rest of the XAML stuff as it would only be mainly for things like WU,

It wasn't until I installed it on my main machine that I realised what a PITA XAML was to control my machine the way I use it

Simple things like extending displays to my TV, I had to mess about 10x more to get back to the Win32 resolution panel, XAML was incapable of detecting connected, but not enabled displays, meaning I couldn't enable the TV from XAML

Ive since added Win32 right click entries for rez and other display settings, so it's back to 8.1 functionality for that side of things, mainly I think now I'm left with the same as everyone else, just WU that's a pain

But I agree, Windows is Win32, always has been, always should be, I don't want OneOS on all my Windows devices, I don't want all my devices sync'd and identical, if I did, I'd only own one device

I want a real Win32 Windows on my PC, and for touch, fine, give me XAML, I don't use my tablet for important power users type of things, I want it to be easy to use

I do use my PC for power user type things, and XAML has about as much power as a potato

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I remember I had a text file for Windows XP for small changes to make things how I like them. Now I have directories full of text files and registry files and batch files to change/re-add the simplest of things.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I know, same, unfortunately Microsoft see us tech-heads as the minority, and are catering for all the dumb "Click this for facebook, play farmville" only people

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    right click on the taskbar > Cortana > check "hidden"

EDIT: soooo late :p

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you know with windows 10 being the "last" release of windows and it all being threw WU from now on, I was hoping to see Windowed redone from the ground up,mean all the old code dumped. one day maybe? lmao GUI isnt horrible bad, but it 1 step foward 2 back, what was simple is no long simple ,etc etc

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, that would be far too much work for MS I think, I think there is still Windows 3.1 code in current versions of Windows, probably even 10

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Guys, by XAML you mean WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation - .Net based and DirectX dependant) user interface, right?

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF): this was the Windows Forms replacement which came with Windows Vista in 2006. Unlike Windows Forms, WPF is built on DirectX for rich, fast graphics, and comes with an XML-based layout language (XAML) that scales applications nicely.

It was advanced at the time, but Microsoft has been busy with other things and neglected to keep WPF up to date or to fix issues, though it improved when the Visual Studio 2010 IDE was built using the technology.

Development is harder than with Windows Forms, thanks to the complexities of XAML and WPF data binding.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/1...ools_for_desktop_development_are_in_disarray/

20. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Cortana has a nice singing voice and some of the jokes she tell are quiet good

Cortana sing a song
    Cortana tell me a joke