In a Fury I went back to AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Krogtheclown, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    200 series happened, and 200 reference, LOL, those reference cards man.. worst thing ever lol, TDP too high.. XD :D

7950 was one of the best cards I ever purchased, did the 290 live up to the hype? Dunno. I think the reference card thing and heat really killed it.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I actually had a 7870, loved it, but never wanted to go CF again after the 5xxx and 6xxx CF disasters

Then a fan failed, and I got a full refund, so decided to try my luck with a GTX760, which lasted about 2 weeks before selling that and going for an R9 290, and I didn't need CF with that thing

Then my luck with the 295X2 gift, which was a terrible CF experience again

So got rid of AMD and went with the 980

So yea, sods law, I skipped the only experience that might have been ok with CF

But I don't regret it, loving this card, best gaming experience to date

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Nvidia's 900 series is spot on tbh.

Regarding AMD/ATI though, the 7950/7970 are the best cards they've released since the old school 9700/9800's way back when. Absolutely outstanding pieces of kit, but I'd not recommend AMD at the moment in any shape or form. At least not to any UK user, prices may vary of course -- and the newer drivers are decent.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I wanted a 79xx series card, but just never managed to get the funds at the time, wasn't there a BIOS mod for your 7950 that turned it into the 7970 or something?, genuinely did unlock the card too

I can remember a massive thread on a forum went viral because of it

EDIT - something like this
    [​IMG]
    http://***************/32782/amd-radeon-hd-7950-modified-to-7970

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Talking about past experiences, I've had some with both manufacturers. I can't take either the latency or the hunt for profiles, so it's out for me, unless most game designers go for SFR this time around. SFR should be the Holy Grail for people with multiple GPUs.

I had never truly noticed much of a difference between them before, in regards to support. The problems for AMD are during the last year mostly. They are far behind in essential features (like VSYNC, Triple Buffering), and their CFX profile response to new games is more or less from a week to a couple of months slower than NVIDIA's. The greatest driver gap difference opened with NVIDIA's DX11 driver some time ago (a bit after Mantle), when NVIDIA's driver really made a huge leap in efficiency that AMD is yet to cover.

6. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Good upgrade from the 780s, enjoy your new cards.

7. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    Enjoy the upgrades :)

8. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    So finally got my 2 Fury cards, I updated to windows 10 at the same time and suddenly I had crashing problems with all my games! At 1st I thought it was win 10 but after a few days I began to blame the fury cards or AMD.....but yet my son's PC has 2 x 7970 in crossfire and win 10 but he had no problems with the same games.
    So after trying everything I could think of for a week I finally lowed my CPU overclock that I have had for the past 2 years and bang all is good now!
    The cards run awesome in xfire and I can run every game I have maxed out even Crysis 3 at 3440x1440 res and with Vsync enabled my games run silky smooth.
    Very Happy!

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    What PSU do you have. Could be that your CPU OC pushes the PSU over it's limits.

EDIT: I see your PSU has ample power. Sorry.