So how is FreeSync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yeah, the price is HIGH but it looks so GOOD and should perform even better!

I wish i had the $$$ that Krogtheclown has to enjoy 2xFury X and an Acer predator:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=401168

Dreams are not expensive.

:D

2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I have the $$$, but spending so much on two GPU's and one monitor is a bit too much for me :p

Does he even need a low FreeSync range with two Fury's? :p

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Future proof and games without working CFX are a couple of reasons to 30-75Hz freesync.

:)

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Still everything under 45 is far to low for me. I don't know if FreeSync could change that, but i somehow doubt it. For me the 40 - 60hz range doesn't seem to be a problem at all, but that doesn't mean that lower wouldn't be better.

The Asus MG279Q seems to be an excellent monitor, but it's 1440P and i already have a 1440P monitor. It doesn't really feel like an upgrade to me (that's why i leaning towards a 4K monitor). The FreeSync range of that monitor is 35 - 90 hz and it's and 144hz IPS monitor.

5. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    You think everything under 45 is too low for you because of the shutterfest that becomes dipping below and either constant jumping 30/60 with vsync or never hitting monitor refresh otherwise. Freesync is just about that - to be comfortable even at that level, so don't rule it out of the question right away. It might as well turn out 40 or 60 fps on freesync to be absolutely not distinguishable, allowing you to up the quality to teh very best and love it.

6. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    There appears to be a perceptual threshold at around 43-45 fps, due to the way human eyes operate (roughly double of the 22-23 fps where eyes start perceiving static images as motion). Even with Freesync you can't change that.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering CF scaling on Fiji, even I (who doe snot like CF/SLI) may get 2nd one as end of production for Fury X gets near, but before that Zen has to be big upgrade & I'll need new case/PSU.

Till then I'll get HTC/Valve Vive and maybe that 160Hz AOC Freesync.
    (Lately even 120 fps @120Hz seems not fluent enough to me.)

In Killing Floor 2, Zeds run quite fast on Hell-On-Earth difficulty. No wonder that many people can't even hit them on 60Hz screens. It is definitely not classical casual fps like crysis.

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I think dx12 and windows 10 will make CF/SLI more relevant. It's easier to implement. I also think scaling will be better and there will be less microstutter.

9. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Yeah I remember reading about it. Well cool then, need to ensure never going below 45 and with freesync we can even forget when 60fps was mandatory :)
    Well on theory... someone with fsync/gsync can share what is 60fps vs 45+fps on a game, besides having a better image.

10. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    I think that having an occasional drop to 30 fps won't be so disastrous (with Freesync), but an average 50 to 60 fps should be the target (of course higher the better). Higher fps also reduces the reaction time to player inputs, so of course it's better.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Until reality proves the theory commercially profitable this is a simply a lot of promises from AMD and Nvidia(?) PR departments.

It's easy for them to sell us the future DX12 where AMD/Nvidia doesn't add multi-gpu support in drivers and all the workload will be on game devs hands.

Maybe game devs think it doesn't worth the effort and we get NOTHING.

After all games are a big bussiness and not a showcase.

When it's a showcase AMD or Nvidia put the money to develop it.

:)

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You know my opinion on this, but I honestly believe that proper AAA will have multiGPU support. Even Intel is counting on it, that's why they are flooding top-level i7's dies with useless GPUs.

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
  14. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
  15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    My current monitor has even a higher input lag and a higher respons time and i don't really have a problem with it. :p I don't play alot of fast FPS-games. I'm not into (competitive) multiplayer gaming either. It's mostly singleplayer games for me.

If you are into fast FPS gaming you are better off buying a TN panel and not a IPS panel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

16. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Clarification sammarbella. There is the Acer 34 inch freesync ready, ultra-widescreen (3440x1440) XR341CK bmijpphz, but it should not be called a 'Predator'.

The Acer Predator X34 ( UM.CX1SA.002 ) is a gsync monitor and will be around $1300 ? USD. (note, this model is not out as yet.)
    The Acer XR341CK bmijpphz ( UM.CX1SA.001 ) is the freesync version and is $1100 USD (ok, still expensive, but approx. $200 less expensive than the gsync equivalent).

So, this XR341CK bmijpphz is not called a 'Predator'. Predator is the gsync version. I know TFTCentral called the XR341CK a 'Predator' in their review, but they have since annotated to also explain that the 'Predator' refers to the gsync version of the same panel/monitor.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  17. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    I can confirm Freesync does not work with eyefinity with only one freesync monitor, can have other monitors as extended and it works but can not have multi-monitor gaming and Freesync:(
    I have an Acer 27" Freesync, I regret wasting my money on it as I game in eyefinity.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You are right and i'm wrong.

"bmijpphz" is the FreeSync monitor version name.

Who was the genius to name a device like that?

At lest is less expensive than "Predator" version.

:D

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    What's the point of FreeSync in Eyefinity if you only have one monitor that supports it? Even if it would work, you would have a smooth image on one screen and tearing and stuttering on the other.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Having middle screen freesynced and others v/no-synced would be fine. Because while watching middle one, sides are only for space expansion/immersion and you'll not notice tearing/stutter there much.