Updated to 15.7: Win7 280X hangs on game lauch, reset/hardreset only fix.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HyeVltg3, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    For my Gigabyte HD7970 OC, where voltage is hardware locked (and from what I've read; no bios changes will do anything to make the voltage go past 1175; even if it reports otherwise after flashing Ghz Bios);

The maximum stable frequencies I can ever reach are:

1050Mhz Core
    1400Mhz Memory

Anything past that will ultimately, one way or another, cause artifacts or crashes.

But if the OP continues to run into problems, I recommend 1000Mhz Core + 1350 Mhz Memory just to be safe, in case his GPU is hardware locked voltage wise.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Guest

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMIN
    Yup, further DDU > 15.x installs, same issue, weirdly the Black screen/freeze happens with just opening chrome ( I assume because I have it set to use "HW Acceleration") on the unmodded bios only times it would "crash" is if I started a 3D program.
    Have tried 15.5, 15.6, 15.x (both the ones I stated in the OP), same issue.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The "modded" bios is just yours with lower frequencies/higher voltages. You should RMA if it's possible then.

4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    He should flash his backup bios before RMA though correct?

Otherwise the company will think he messed it up. So yeah OP, based on my knowledge, you better flash your old BIOS back before you RMA.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeap, this is the correct advice. I didn't say it because I thought it was obvious.

6. motov8

motov8 Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    Did they fix GTA V problem on 280X or just give up ?

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is no GTA V problem with the 7970/280x. The game works fine here.

8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    yea... i hadn't heard of this either since they released the updated drivers:wanker:

9. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Guest

GPU:
    Yup did exactly this after posting above about my failures with the modded bios. reflashed the original bios, boxed it back up, already had RMA confirmations done before I started this thread. I just wanted to make sure I touched all bases before last resort option.
    Going to ship it out monday, hopefully it goes smoothly.

Thanks guys for the helpful tips in this thread, and thanks GR for modding the bios.
    Any reason NOT to reflash the card to the modded bios when I get it back and its working fine?
    asking because this card has been running on this "unstable" bios since about Jan.2014

10. motov8

motov8 Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    I still have artifact on right down corner when im playing with MSAA:
    [​IMG]

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You can either turn off MSAA or lower Post-FX. Can't believe they still haven't fixed this.

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    If you get it back and it's working 100% fine or they replace it with a new card (free upgrade), then no, don't install the modded bios. Because I think the modded BIOS was made with higher voltages and lower clock speeds to ensure stability (because you were having issues).

So if you get it back and it's stable with lower voltage (less heat), and higher clock speeds (faster). There's no reason to install a modded bios that will ultimately decrease performance and produce more heat (not to mention louder fan speeds).

PS: AS For the GTA PROBLEM

I believe that's an issue that people who haven't updated the game are still having? I'm not 100% sure but if you've purchased the game through steam and have the game updated to the latest version, it should be working without that issue... Don't take my word for it though, like I said, I'm not 100% sure.

13. motov8

motov8 Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    U cant play on older version, the SS is made on newest version and newest driver (i pick up single player, bcuz of 5 mins loading in online)

14. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
  15. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Guest

GPU:
    Hey guys sorry for the Late follow-up, didnt want to reply with "its working!" just after the first day.
    When I sent the old 280x off to RMA I took a picture of the P/N (Part Number), 'cause thats just how smart I am (hold the applause)
    Was hoping they'd do the rare fix and fix my exact Card, Instead the just shipped me another 280x; has new P/N.
    less than a week in on the Factory settings, getting artifacts; black squares, side of screen looks like shredded paper. So far before I came back here, I looked around and tried the basic fix of lowering clocks, surprisingly its been holding up for the past 3 days, I still see the random black squares but so far thats only been on Chrome or Explorer (opening folders), none so far in-game =D

Factory >> Lowered.
    Core: 1070 >> 1070 (currently testing with 1100, was told many cards are stable on it)
    Mem: 1600 >> 1450 (Currently testing 1500, that should be what the Hynix chips on the 280x are rated for, so far so good, was running very well on 1450)

Just hope these "fixes" hold up till next summer, going to be moving over to Z170, would like to update most of my hardware then, especially with the lower-than-launch-prices.
    Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future.
    Before jumping on changing the bios, its best to use MSI Afterburner or CCC Overdrive to lower your Mem. Clocks ( 1600 * 4 = 6400mhz, too OC, should be 6000mhz, so </=1500)
    Again thanks guys for all the help.