Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Sounds to me like you're psyching yourself out of even giving it a shot. The mind is a powerful thing ;)

It's a great game, but probably isn't for everyone. You either love D&D style CRPG's or you don't. I wouldn't recommend this for the cookie cutter RPG player who digs things like Kings Bounty: Armored Princess, Sacred 2 and Evolution. Not sure what your history involves regarding role playing games, but I'm guessing you haven't played much in the way of Dungeons and Dragon types. This isn't D&D per se, but its modeled after such. Also, in their next upcoming patch they are adding party AI in Pillars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvsA6exuY. You can basically put them on auto-pilot if you want (might be more your cup of tea).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    Combat is not smaller part of the game, personally i enjoyed combat in PoE more than in DoS. I stopped playing DoS after 70hours because story was going nowhere and combat got tedious as hell with fights on every corner with monsters with billion hp. Even though PoE is more linear game, its more rounded rpg experience imho.

3. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    That's great to see they are adding AI to the patch. When does it come out? Personally I haven't gotten bored of DOS yet. There isn't a fight around every corner,but I get your meaning tho,if your comparing it to POE..
    I haven't really played a D&D style game like Baldur's gate. I have played some Kings bounty and it was pretty fun. Kept getting my ass beat and lost interest. I have Age of Wonders 3 also,but since I got DOS,I haven't played it much. Games like POE and DAO have combat that's really fast and I like to see what each guy is doing. I don't like pausing ,giving orders and then let them fly,its just hectic combat that's hard to follow. I'd rather see one mage throw off a spell and watch it then go to the next,otherwise you don't get to marvel at all the cool stuff your characters can do. But that's just me. I don't know if this makes sense to any of you guys..

4. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Bad news on the digital gaming front. I logged onto GOG.com to see if there were any updates or patches to Pillars, and the game is no longer on my shelf. It disappeared. I contacted GOG customer support to receive this response:

"I have checked this code (1EC36-837A7-3285E-25FA6), and it looks like it was canceled, because it was purchased *****ulently, with a stolen card. In such situations, our policy is to cancel the code, and give the money back to the owner of the stolen card.
    Also, please keep in mind that reselling codes purchased on GOG is forbidden according to our User Agreement (3.3).
    I would strongly advise that you contact the third-party reseller, whom you most likely bought this code from, and ask for your money back.
    We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and appreciate your understanding."

I purchased my code from G2A.com. Beware of this website, they are selling stolen keys!! Now I don't have access to any of my Pillars files if I need to redownload/reinstall them. No access to patching either. I am contacting G2A and trying to get my money back.

6. kapo

kapo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Really wish someone would just shut G2A down. How many stolen games have to be sold there for something to happen? Ridiculous.

7. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    OMG, I hope you'll get your money back. Tell us how it went.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Thanks for the concern guys. Luckily, I already got my money back from G2A. They quickly determined what happened and took care of it. I will definitely not be buying from them again though.

This is the email response I got from them:

"This gift code was purchased with a stolen card on GOG.com. The person who have placed the order on GOG.com was not the legitmate owner of this card, and therefore was not entitled to use it.
    From what I understand the code was later sold to you through us. We are very sorry for this inconvenience and have refunded your money in full. You will receive a further email confirmation of this.
    I apologize for any inconvenience caused."

The fact that this can even happen, makes that sites sellers unreliable. You don't know what you're getting! The savings isn't worth the hassle!

9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Pretty normal this can happen with 3rd party sellers on sites with a market!!!

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Patch 2.0 out on steam, 2.1gb, guess the expansion comes in a few hours.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-update-20-adds-party-ai-solo-stealth/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvsA6exuY

And the expansion is out

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373340/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I noticed a large 2.1 GB update but on loading the game, which is apparently v2.0 beta (which I do not recall opting into...) I only have a New Game option so it looks like I have lost 28 hours of progress which I am obviously not happy about! The Continue and Load options are both greyed out. :(

*EDIT*
    Just found my save game folder (under Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity and there are dozens of files there include a number under a sub-folder called 2.0 Saved Games Backups. I assume the game has created that folder as I do not recall doing it.

So why is the game not detecting them?

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I just checked my own one, says 2.0something but no beta, and I can load old saves fine.

Sure you didn't opt into the beta at some point? Check your game properties

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have not played the game for months so did not even know about the v2.0 beta let alone opt into it. I presume I must have v2.0 (release build) then as it just shows a number in the bottom left corner with '- steam' after it; there is no mention of beta except in the News to the top right. The Properties tab also confirms I am not opted into a beta and, in fact, I cannot even select it.

Save games are still not showing unfortunately despite disabling the Steam Cloud save. I have files in the save folder plus backups in the 2.0 Saved Games Backup folder but I cannot access Continue or Load from the main menu to check the game even detects them.

*EDIT*
    Moved the existing save files into another sub-folder called 'Backups' and Steam's cloud service reinstated them. Game, however, still does not see these saves, even after doing a revalidation (it found some 165 missing files but I think they were just the DirectX/VC++ ones as they were redownloaded).

Could this be a Windows 10 bug? I noticed the security permissions for the Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity folder has the owner as Darren (myemail@address.co.uk (where the email address is my Microsoft account) as opposed to Administrators (MYNAME/Administrators). Could that be the issue?

*EDIT 2*
    Got it working by setting the compatibility setting for the game executable to Run as Admin. Seems the game has to be run as administrator in order to see my save games, which is strange because it was working fine before in Windows 8.1. My guess is that this is yet another Windows 10 issue but, whatever, it now works and I have not lost 26 hours of progress, thankfully.

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I bought this game over the weekend. I decided to give it a try despite the not very good gameplay and the lackluster art design because people keep saying the story is so good. Well I'm about 10 hours in now, just after Raedrics castle, and I'm wondering, when does the story get good? So far it's been incredibly bland and devoid of anything interesting.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I found it dull story wise by the last part of the game. Didn't complete it

So much focus on old gods and stuff like that, not enough character interaction.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So basically much of what people are saying about the story has been overstated. Think I'm gonna go back to Divinity: Original Sin. At least the combat in that is super good.

Hopefully POE 2 is better. At the very least it sure looks much better graphically, which could be enough to make it more interesting.

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Uhh, i'm not saying I didn't enjoy the story at all. More I wasn't a fan of the quasi religious stuff, which was unfortunately the main focus. The deep dungeon thing was really good. Combat was a bit dull IMO but you can skip that with difficulty. The plot has some interesting points for me (mostly with memory recall stuff) .

But yeah, combat is nothing compared to DOS. Can't wait for DOS2.

18. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Given how old this game is (there was plenty of time to find workarounds and share them on forums) and how long it received updates after release, I am a bit surprised how hard it seems to set it up for G-Sync+V-sync.
    1/a: exclusive fullscreen mode (and thus the Win10 redirected flip queue mode, aka "optimized fullscreen") doesn't work at all with the default DX9 renderer (neither with the in-game checkbox, nor with the -window-mode exclusive launch parameter).
    1/b: Even though I have G-Sync (HDMI 2.1 VRR version) enabled for windowed applications globally and the visual indicator overlay does appear after I launch the game (if the indicator is temporarily enabled for the exe file with nV Ispector), the map (well, game world view) panning has a constant judder when an fps limiter is in place (which should not happen inside the VRR range while G-Sync is active).
    1/c: Low Latency Mode Ultra doesn't activate the auto fps cap (which could mean two things: the game is not compatible with LLM or it appears that G-Sync+V-Sync is not active after all).
    2/a: Using OpenGL (-force-opengl launch parameter) seems to allow fullscreen exclusive mode (there is tearing with V-Sync disabled and uncapped fps) but it has some downsides (fps drops with pretty much any UI interactions, like clicking on portrays to select a character to command, opening inventory or the settings, etc --- and significantly higher CPU load and lower fps [not an actual issue on my current hardware but it shows how unoptimized this mode is]).
    Now, the only practical problem with OpenGL is that, for some reason, my TV produces slight brightness fluctuations on frame-time spikes which is noticeable on quays-static dark scenes (so almost everywhere in this game so far, haha), so I have these small fluctuations on a lot of mouse clicks.
    2/b: By the way, LLM Ultra doesn't apply an auto fps cap and the game can't change display modes (resolution and refresh rate) in OpenGL mode either.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know this is not a fast-paced shooter or Starcraft-like competitive real-time multiplayer strategy game, so I shouldn't be worried about the V-Sync lag at all (I could simply disable G-Sync for the game, go back to the default DX9 mode and forget about it) but I like to tweak things and thought I should share these findings (and see if somebody managed to figure it out).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020