gta 5 crossfire does not work properrly!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Apr 14, 2015.

1. arsenic

arsenic Guest

GPU:
    asus r9 290
    You and me both

I think the advanced settings are set to off by default. I reinstalled the game last night and those settings are set to that value.

I think ill try the DDU and see if that yields anything.

2. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours trying to get this to work! I have to test it further but it seems for me I finally got Crossfire and eyefinty playable.
    4320 x 900 resolution, 40-50FPS with everything on high, particles very high.
    If you make any custom profile for GTA 5 in Catalyst it kills the game so I suggest deleting it.

I would suggest the following as a minimum. Only takes 15 minutes.
    -Uninstall all AMD graphics software using control panel/uninstall
    -Run DDU in safe mode and restart
    -Install 15.5 Beta from AMD's website but leave out Gaming Evolved App
    -After restart in Catalyst turn on Crossfire, Turn off both sliders in AMD overdrive, set up your eyefinity display and then leave everything else as default
    -Go to Task Manager and disable Catalyst in Startup
    -Restart PC and go to where your saves/settings etc are, I think its My Documents/my games/rockstar/gta 5 and delete the settings files(I am at work so I cant check what they are called, there will be a couple in the main folder then one in one of the subfolders, sorry I cant remember. Just don't delete your saves)
    -Go to GTA 5 install folder and delete GTA5 and GTAVLauncher applications. (back them up if you like)
    -Double click PlayGTAV and game should launch and verify files/reinstall missing files and set up default graphics for your set up
    -Do not have catalyst running at all while testing the game. If it works then try Catalyst again if you like being cautious

I hope this is clear enough, this worked for me, I did do some performance and fan tweaks in the GPU's bios's but this shouldn't be the reason it suddenly improved for me.
    Good luck:)

3. arsenic

arsenic Guest

GPU:
    asus r9 290
    Possible solution

You're are damn genius. OK so I did exactly what you said and I was able to get exactly what you said... a some what consistent 40-50 fps (keep in mind ... I'm running a 5760x1080 resolution). The stutters are gone for me, now I was just left with some drops to 30fps, but way less frequent then before. So I played with the config for a couple hours and managed to figured out how to get a solid 50-60 fps with some drops to 40fps and very little to 30fps... which the massive drop to 30 seems to be a need for better optimization in the driver, because the environment doesn't change much when it occurs.

So what I came up with was the following settings:
    The settings were default like you said so, I made these additional changes to get where I'm at:

direct X 10
    distance scaling to 0
    Grass on Normal
    Post FX on normal
    I left Vsync on

After I made those changes I saw a good increase in additional FPS. What really made it hit 59-60 FPS consistently in a good amount of areas... was doing what you said to be cautious lol.... I started catalyst control center. I forgot and I'm not sure but..The profile gets auto loaded once GTA V starts up. That really made a big difference and minimized the drops to 30 fps quite well. I also confirmed that crossfire was working when eyefinity was turned off and one screen was being used. I saw a "constant" 57-60fps. Before all this evencross fire on one screen was dipping to 30 frequently.

I think with your guide and the changes I made...if they work for you..could be a temporary, yet long term solution until they add additional optimizations. I'm pretty happy where this is at and like you I have put in countless hours to find a solution.

If anyone is still having frame rate drops after this you can always switch back to one screen and you should be well off with higher fps.

4. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Glad you had success:)
    Just be aware that it may not last and you may have to fix it again, it worked great last night for me but tonight I had to go through the process again to get Crossfire working well again! Stuffed if I know why!
    I am also having the problem that the game crashes if I load story mode. I have to load online mode then switch to story mode.
    I love the detail of the game so I will stick to High settings and be happy with 40+FPS at 4320x900. I have particle quality, shader quality and texture quality all on very high now plus dirext x 11 and am still getting between 40-70FPS:thumbup:

Update: I have deleted the metadata.dat file located in "Grand Theft Auto V\x64" and that seems to have fixed the crashing when loading story mode.

It now seems that I have no stutter and better FPS with crossfire compared to single GPU and game is running fine otherwise:)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

5. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Update

Ok, second day of testing and still working as it should:) Below is exactly what I did, maybe not all this was needed but this is what I did and I now have crossfire working better than single GPU with no stutter. Thought I would rewrite it so its clear:)

Crossfire with 2 x HD 7950’s and eyefinty playable at 4320 x 900 resolution, 40-50FPS with everything on high, particles/shaders very high, post FX ultra.

I believe software that controls the GPU eg:Catalyst was causing a lot of the issues. I suggest not using any GPU OC software when playing GTA 5 if you have any issues as your first fix.

I hope this works for others, please let us know if it does.

After trying many things and wasting a lot of hours here’s what fixed it for me and I did it in this order.

-Deleted any custom profile I had for GTA 5 in Catalyst

-Uninstalled all AMD graphics software using windows control panel/repair/express uninstall

-Run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) for AMD in safe mode and restarted

-Installed 15.5 Beta from AMD's website but left out Gaming Evolved App

-After restart in Catalyst turn on Crossfire, Turn Off both sliders in AMD overdrive, set up my eyefinity display and then left everything else as default

-I went to Task Manager and disabled Catalyst in Startup

-Restarted PC and went to where GTA 5 saves/settings etc are. For me "Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V" and deleted "settings" and then went to " Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V\Profiles\85C9CC63" and deleted "cfg" and "pc_settings.bin"

-I then went to GTA 5 install folder and deleted "GTA5" and "GTAVLauncher" applications as well as "metadata.dat" that’s in "Grand Theft Auto V\x64"

-I double clicked PlayGTAV from the same folder and the game launched and verified files/reinstalled missing files and set up default graphics as I had deleted the config files

-I then made changes in game to my preferred settings and it all worked as it should

I have not enabled Catalyst on restart again but I have opened Catalyst and as long as I don’t change anything in Overdrive settings then it does not seem to break the game.

I have no idea what the Metadata.dat file does, but since I deleted it the game loads quicker and does not crash when loading story mode.

6. arsenic

arsenic Guest

GPU:
    asus r9 290

Thanks again. This is a great temporary solution for anyone until this gets sorted out more.

Also, I have a open ticket with AMD right now in discussion with whats wrong with crossfire in relation to GTA V. I'll keep everyone posted if I can extract any information from them.

Also in tuning I used Heaven benchmark tool to get higher FPS from any additional tweaks you or I may do.
    Just thought i'd toss that in there.
    [http:]//unigine.com/products/heaven/

7. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Rockstar = No Support!

It seems for me that the above fix is only temporary and after playing GTA 5 a couple times something gets corrupted and I have to scrub everything again.

Also below is the unbelievable response from Rockstar support! They don't mind taking the money for PC sales but expect us to all have console style basic PC's. :mad::bang:

"Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

We do not support Crossfire, SLI, or multi GPU graphics solutions and recommend disabling them to play Grand Theft Auto V.
    If you have any further issues please contact us and we will provide you a solution.

Best regards,

Rockstar Support"

If I wanted PS3 Graphics I would play it on PS3, never go online and then sell it again!

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    They simply reply you with the plain truth, what is not a very common thing!

Assume it, there is nothing more.

Take a look at what we get from them with GTA 4 in PC, this is WAY better game port.

That's a "perfect" game port to PC from consoles in their terms.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. arsenic

arsenic Guest

GPU:
    asus r9 290
    Yup

Pretty much. I told aMD the same thing and they recommend disabling all startup programs lol. Gotta love cookie cutter support. That was in my response to my full page explanation. Even gave them our solution too and referenced this thread.

10. GhostriderJnr

GhostriderJnr Guest

GPU:
    AMD Fury X 4GB
    Unfortunately it took a lot of backwards and forwards from them with many messages with unhelpful troubleshooting ideas over weeks before they finally gave me the plain truth when they gave up because it's to hard. Had they just given me the plain truth up front and not wasted my time and money then I would not be left with such a bad opinion of Rockstar!

11. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Yesterday's patch has seemed to fix most of my crossfire stuttering along with the other crossfire fixes. There is a hitching that seems to occur every 10 second or so, however. Maybe this can be fixed on AMD's side?

12. thecremeegg

thecremeegg Guest

GPU:
    ATI 280x Xfire
    So.....anyone else still have this issue or just me?
    If start a new game, the intro snowy sequence runs perfectly but as soon as I get to the bit where I drive the car as Franklin, the performance tanks to 10 fps or so.
    I'm at my wits end with this!!

13. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    I have the same exact issue.

I am getting 130fps in the prologue sequence, but as soon as i pass it, i get 20fps. When this happens, I see that the game uses 900mb VRAM only - this is terrible. GPU usage also falls down to 1 % on both cards.

GTA V online is unplayable too.

14. thecremeegg

thecremeegg Guest

GPU:
    ATI 280x Xfire
    Glad it's not just me then!
    Plays great on the 1 card but that's not really the point :rolleyes:

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I have very busy days lately and i can't play the game myself.

Is this problem occuring since last patches?

Is it working well without them?

I know it's not easy to play steam games without last patches (roll back to previous patches installed), physical and GOG version allow it.

If the game works fine in single GPU mode, the problem must be a broken CFX in last patch(es).

I don't think there is anything new in 15.7 broking the CFX profile.

16. thecremeegg

thecremeegg Guest

GPU:
    ATI 280x Xfire
    It's not the patch, it's only since the latest few ATI drivers it's happened. I can use 15.5 and it works ok whereas if I used 15.7 or any of the Windows 10 drivers then I get this issue. It's definitely a driver issue, AMD are just useless.

17. Gaditurbo

Gaditurbo Guest

GPU:
    r9 290x 4g crossfire
    +1 :cry:

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Have you tried using the 15.5 DLL inside the game's folder? With single GPU the game is better here with the new driver.

19. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    i contacted rockstar support and they basically told me, too bad, as windows 10 is not supported by the game.

20. thecremeegg

thecremeegg Guest

GPU:
    ATI 280x Xfire
    So it'll fix itself in 5 days I presume.....:bang: