Catalyst 15.7 WHQL Problematic VSR thread.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Jul 10, 2015.

1. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    hi AMDJoe you shoulde fix framelimit because 50 fps i can reche on all game :wanker:

2. fish

fish Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT
    Great news, thanks for the update!

3. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Even though I do not mind the VSR because of my lowly card, it is still very weird that so many 8.1 users should have the option and don't.
    As for "expected behaviour".... it was expected that under Win10 only half the users will be able to use VSR even if another user has the same card and was left out?

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the reply! I guess we get another driver then, then. :nerd:
    What about the people who are not getting the correct resolutions or not getting it at all in OS's other than Windows 10? Most people in this thread do not use 10.

My guess is that after the latest backlash, they "de-patched" the driver in order to allow more cards to use VSR (and again, screwing over people using 5000 and 6000 series, for whom the registry tweaks and Wagnard's tool was working), and they didn't really test the usage cases.

5. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    nope...i got a 7850...and hardly doubt it is a problem becuase of the card, because some really seem to be able to use VSR. I rather think that VSR has somewhere a hook to the display....not really the connection type but rather the display driver in windows....
    If I were bored i coukd start up a 8.1 Windows just to say (does not work there either"2...nut I am not bored and in 6 months no one will even talk about anything but Win10...Not saying the driver is subpar, only, never promise antyhing that does not really work.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    isnt 5xxx legacy?

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No, it is not.

8. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    From the release notes:

Known Issues:***8203;
    [423410] The option to enable Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) is not available with certain AMD Radeon™ HD7800 series products

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, AMD has had plenty enough time to isolate this and provide a hotfix for it (hotfixes have gone out for less!) I'd already posted a report to AMD & posted on the AMD Catalyst forum...what puzzles me is not so much that the feature isn't working on my card, but that the GUI checkbox toggle isn't even showing up...! I would expect that the toggle box would be there but that VSR wouldn't work because of a bug--but the fact that it won't appear at all, even as a checkbox that doesn't function even when checked, is indicative of something else, no doubt. The 15.7 Cat drivers do not appear to be installing the feature at all, apparently, just as if my card was not actually a 7800-series product--but something else, like a 5/6000-series product not expected to support the feature at all. Seems like the Cat install routine relative to VSR has a bug in the configuration routines it uses to identify which products get VSR and which don't (another argument against all-in-one-so-called-"unified" drivers, but that's another story.) This would also explain why some people who own much newer products that are supposed to get the feature simply aren't seeing it show up, either.

Here's hoping that their 7/29 Win10 driver has this straightened out!

EDIT: Problem is SOLV-ED as my mentor Inspector Clusoe would say! Got new Win10 drivers this a.m. (7/26) the 15.200.1046.2 version, and now VSR is working perfectly with my HD 7850 2GB--I can go to 2560x1600, which is where I wanted to be! Good job, AMD...!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I've had VSR working after updating windows 10 to that old build now to rtm. It wasn't there before that for sure. But so weird stuff. I wonder what is the flag that does stop it from appearing on some people.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The main flag these days is the 5000/6000 flag. It used to work fine for them too, but everybody forgot apparently :D

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    VSR is still not working up to the advertised resolutions. Still max 1440p with the 15.7.1 driver. They don't even change the release notes.

13. Ruudvangoal90

Ruudvangoal90 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x 3gb
    @ 1440p VSR i am getting very ugly and blurry fonts with 280x.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    As you should. It's an antialiasing method for games, not for desktop use. The problem is that we don't get the resolutions that the driver read me is saying.

15. NiGMa46

NiGMa46 Guest

GPU:
    TG Extreem Dark 1066 6GB
    7850 2GB, Win 7 x64, used latest DDU to uninstall 14.12

In 14.12 I had VSR working using the VSR Enable tool, this gave me 2560x1440 resolution on my 1080p monitor, looked good in games and desktop (text readable)
    In 15.7 the new VSR button in CCC was missing
    In 15.7.1 the new VSR button was available, but when 2560x1440 was selected, display was blurry, looked like it was upscaled from 720p using nearest neighbour, text was unreadable, upon switching back to 1080p display was still blurry, could resolve by turning off VSR.

Problem: VSR checked makes all resolutions blurry.

Have submitted this to AMD.

EDIT: Turns out it wasn't the driver, I hadn't used AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher to unlock my higher refresh rate, so it was looking garbled only above 60 Hz.

So 15.7.1 is working great, VSR working without any hacking. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

16. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

with old (and modded) driver i had vsr both on 7870xt and 290x

now with new drivers (15.5/15.7/15.7.1) both on 8.1 x64 and win10 and both with 2 cards, no vsr option. Connected to the same monitor, LG29EA93 2560x1080 (21/9) trough HDMI or DVI cable...

i think that it's a monitor compatibility issue... but with this monitor i had vsr working.

17. darktranq

darktranq Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti FE
    Using a 290.

No VSR option in Windows 10, even now it is officially released, and even with AMD's 15.7.1 drivers. Had it working fine in 8.1.

So with what they posted about Windows 10 being beta is a load of crap.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It has nothing to do with Windows 10 but AMD messing it up. I have VSR, have had since 15.7 (officially). People are missing VSR on Windows 8.1 too.
    You need to report bugs and not just complain about it.

19. darktranq

darktranq Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080Ti FE
    Which is basically what I said, and considering AMD staff read these forums, it's feedback for them.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    This isn't the place to report bugs. AMD are aware of the VSR problem but it appears to be system specific. If you don't let them know then how can they fix it. Unless someone else reports the bug for you with a very similar system.
    Windows 10 isn't in beta.