AMD Catalyst 15.7 WHQL Driver - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LtMatt81, Jul 8, 2015.

1. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I don't use motion blur in any game if possible. But these drivers gave me some improved gameplay, but lesser image quality overall.
    Driving around in gtav and looking at the trees made this very obvious for me.
    Feels like fxaa is not the same as with older drivers.
    I'm back on 14.11B2 and it loooks better.

On a side note, would this explain a higher firestrike score on my pc with the newest driver?

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fixed.

If DXDIAG reports WDDM 2.0, Direct3D 12 should also be supported by the driver.

3. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    I haven't noticed any image quality issues with 15.7. Gameplay improvements should be caused by driver optimizations (improved draw calls being one way to quantify the improvement).

Motion blur on Tomb Raider is still present but is hard to notice, due to the game running at 50 to 60 fps minimum on most cards. Perhaps the game engine reduces/turns off motion blur if the game is running significantly faster than 30 fps.

There are other people that are having stuttering/performance issues with GTA V with these drivers. Why do you revert to last year's beta drivers that don't have specific optimizations for GTA V? I would keep the latest Catalyst installed, and simply use appropriate DLLs to work around issues for specific games (in your case DX11 DLLs from Catalyst 15.5 or from beta 15.200.1023.3; one forum user swears by them).

If you are convinced that there is an image quality difference, make a comparison. I'm sure other people would find it interesting. Get a couple of screen shots (F12 on Steam client) on several locations at roughly the same time of day in-game. With DLL injection method you can be done in 20 minutes or less.

4. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    Interesting... I guess you're right.
    I thought the effect was a sort of an eye-candy not a solution to blur between frames when the FPS is "low".

PS. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    >= 11.0 is needed for DX12 :)

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Because a lot of (virtual) ink and tears have been shed for this, 3DMark gives a very good and short list on what's needed to play DX12 titles.

[​IMG]

That's it.

7. angmar

angmar Guest

No he would prob rather buy the 980 TI that is faster uses less power and cost around the same money.

8. angmar

angmar Guest

I'm getting artifacting in project cars with this driver and it sucks because there is a large improvement in framerate but the graphic artifacting makes it unusable for me. Whats going on here?

9. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    Motion blur, in my opinion, can be used effectively in some situations. Racing games, bullet time, dream sequences,... But exaggerated motion blur in Tomb Raider would be against the design aesthetics of the game. The whole game is sharp, dirty, grimy, "realistic", "cinematic",... If you add a permanent strong motion blur effect to a relatively slow 3-rd person, cover-based shooter\adventure game, it might smooth out the grim-dark visuals and make the game look fake.

10. crazyazz

crazyazz Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 OC
    I ran the API overhead test on my Hd 7850 1GB card and it said DX 12 API not supported :(

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Latest Windows 10 and 3DMark?

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So dxdiag should show feature level 12.0 for my card I guess? Or does it only show up to 11.1 :D

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Feature level 11.0 upwards supports DirectX 12.

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    To answer your driver version question,
    I try all drivers that are released, and compare them with the previous one used.
    Depending on the games played by me (or the user in general) the 15.xx drivers didn't equal those 14.11B2 (skipped the 14.12 omega).
    So I don't fix what aint broken.
    When I installed GTAV I was anxious and fired it up. It ran reasonably well on my rig, with some stuttering when driving over the older looking roads.
    It's after that I realized my drivers could be updated so I tried those.
    The 15.4 seemed to perform the same or indeed felt a little smoother, but not that much. And I lost some fps in older games, or those felt less smooth.

I'm on win7 x64 and that could explain my situation and/or my experience.

Anyway, what I meant with lesser quality is, when driving around the leaves on the trees and other objects show more tearing.
    Whether this is a cropping issue or aliasing thing, I don't know.
    I use the same settings for drivers and ingame.

Overall I experience the same as mR Yellow, while I'm not on win10.

15. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    i get huge grass artifacts in project cars. it looks like overheat.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I know :) But slides stated that 12.0 would be on 290x and 285, that is why I was wondering it's not like I care if it is 11.1 or 12.0 I just find it weird.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    With the latest 3DMark v1.5.915 and Windows 10 fully updatedm and Catalyst 15.7, you should have a DX12 test.

18. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    DirectX 12 can be seen as a whole new API (let's call it DirectCore, because Mantle and Vulkan are taken :) ). To classify the existing GPUs, feature level system is used. All GPUs that are supported by DX12 belong to one of four feature levels roughly corresponding to the old DirectX version the GPUs support.

It's confusing to the average consumer and advertising will probably try to convince people to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Feature levels will not be too important at first, because games will support all of them.

19. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Sorry to burst your bubble bro, but the issue IS related to 15.7...

I installed the 15.7 driver whilst running WOT 9.8 (with & without XVM/mods) & the hangs were very evident. Launcher worked fine but the main game hung constantly. Updated a couple of days later to WOT 9.9 & the issue remains, only now it hangs in every game screen for around 1 min 30 secs or so, works for about 8 seconds then hangs again... :3eyes:

Installed the new lenovo driver modded by asder & everything is now working smooth as silk (every game I have installed including ALL the latest AAA titles)... :eek:

The only things not working for me correctly are Frame limiter & VSR. I don't use VSR & I use AB for frame limiting, so no big deal for me.

Lastly, the Lenovo driver gives me massive drawcall improvements over all previous drivers (official releases & modded versions) with relation to DX11 ST/MT.... Mantle & DX12 also have great improvements albeit less pronounced...

My overall API overhead test results are extremely close to those of @PrministerGR & he is running a Sapphire 7970 OC @1150, as opposed to my MSI R7870 Twin Frozr III OC 2gb @1150 core...

This in itself shows that the lenovo driver is indeed a great driver, but what puzzles me most is why it is not part of the main release branch ???

AMD & their convoluted way of doing things :bang:

Stay breezy n Be lucky...

Peace :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So that hang affected 7 series cards then... Since my 290x is working just fine and my old 7850 was doing 6000ms frametimes... :D