AMD blames lower than expected PC demand for poor results

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Jul 18, 2015.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    When did Randy Pitchford get the job as AMD's PR man. lol

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah I see your point regarding their awful pr department. But you will always have amd "fans" defending them do the death and say something like "say something intelligent next time".

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    One of which is so much of a fan he's running an Intel CPU.

AMD needs to fire their marketing division and hire someone that knows what they're doing, I'm getting sick of overhyped products that fail to even come close to delivering. While the Fury GPU's aren't outright terrible, the fact they bragged about them being overclocking monsters and launched them with locked voltage is mind boggling. Then there's the terrible pricing that in some cases means they're competing against themselves.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I blame AMD for releasing old cards as rebrands, with a price hike to boost. Also, for releasing FuryX months after a better 980ti, which costs the same, only is faster faster and has more vram. Poor show from AMD. Can't believe they're making these childish excuses. Remain quiet if you have nothing sensible to say.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I've been calling out their PR/Marketing department since the "Fixer" video's. They are not acting like industry leaders (I know they aren't but they should conduct themselves as such). Instead they act like a bunch of Fanbois.

It's sad really. AMD has been a model of how not to run your business the last few years.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Quarter results, actually read their 10Q. Those kind of statements are located in the MD&A section of the 10Q. They are boiler plate broad brush strokes to explain the general consensus of the sequential decrease in sales and overall ongoing trends in the pc market. It's a section that has a purpose of showing that the management is aware of what is going on, in a broad sense, in the market they are functioning in. Comments given by the source article in this case is trying to put such explanations in laymen terms and mainly to create interest in their article to generate traffic to their site. Other words, they are playing horse hockey because not many individuals actually understand how to interpret 10Qs and 10Ks.

7. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    AMD confirmed for whiniest company ever.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I haven't bought an amd cpu in over 9 years, when they have something worth buying again, I will consider them again. Gpu side they do not interest me much with the fury and fury x, but at least those cards are worth considering. The 300 series is a joke as well, clocked slightly higher than 200 series cards and the 390x 390 is way over priced compared to the 290x and 290. With pretty much useless 8gb of vram in single cards.

9. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    Why AMD is blaming customers?

Did Fury X beats GTX 980 Ti at the same price? NO

Did R3 390X beat GTX 980? NO

AMD said Fury X is the world fastest card? In computing yes but overall it is crap.

10. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    That is why one of the reason why i hate AMD.Their marketing is like 12 years old child.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    AMD it is not our fault that your products are way behind the times especially CPUs.

12. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    This........Even GPUs.

I they cannot compete than they just need to say is better than give false hope and false hype.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Is consumer demand for their products down? Is it down? Yes. There is nothing wrong with their statement. Every negative Nancy here is sounding like a bunch of prep-school girls spreading the latest gossip with their own spin on it. There is no room for marketing spin in these SEC documents. Their marketing team may not know what they are doing but that does not translate to their financial end not knowing their jobs. Learn to see the forest from the trees. One is going to trust a gaming/semi-tech site on financial insight? Said it before, saying it again: Story is nothing but click bait. Read the actual article. Buried way down is the statement that they were strongly hit by the lack of oem interest in their laptop offerings. Remain enthralled by the sensationalist article title. Remain ignorant.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The thing is demand for both of AMD's competitors is not down, so no this is not overreacting or sensationalism it is truth. They have missed the mark with their products and blame the consumer.

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Except for the fact that they beat Wall Street estimates. Net income was only down 2% over this quarter last year.

http://www.capitalcube.com/blog/index.php/intel-corp-earnings-analysis-by-the-numbers/

btw... I thought PS4, Xbone, and Wii U were going to put AMD back in the game with huge increases in revenue? Seems to me everything nVidia said back in 2013 in response to all those articles that said "nVidia lost big, AMD teh win!" was right on point.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/150892-nvidia-gave-amd-ps4-because-console-margins-are-terrible

http://techreport.com/news/24501/nvidia-didnt-want-the-playstation-4

You should have seen the console fanboys go ballistic over articles like this.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Think the margins are pretty low with the game consoles, not really worth it for nvidia imo.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do you really think they are blaming the consumer or communicating that what they have to offer is not wanted by the consumer. They are stating that their products are lacking appeal in the market place. They are saying they failed. The blame is not on the consumer but on them for not providing what the consumer wants. What is rule #1 in business? Provide a product or service that consumers need or want. If failure occurs, the business or that segment/arm of that business will fail if an adjustment is not made.

That is why I am saying everyone in this thread has missed the mark because of some click bait article. How can anyone take any kind of financial insight from that site. Those releases are investment tools. There is no room for PR or marketing. It is not a stockholders presentation booklet. There are strict guidelines of what information is presented and how it is presented.

Click bait is click bait. Find the proper perspective.

EDIT: Every release, I mean every release, goes through legal council before it hits the press.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay you can continue to think the way you are thinking but the fact still remains, AMD are their own worst enemy and they refuse to change that. They blame everyone else but themselves. They release sub-par consumer level CPU's and APU's that aren't really competitive in terms of price or performance. On the GPU side the convince all their customers to wait for R9 3xx and Fury then lay a goose egg with rebrands and Fiji under performing. The only people to blame is themselves but they won't.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    You are confusing the finance statements with their marketing snafus. The remarks in their 10Q clearly states they have no one to blame but themselves. Do not blur the lines between pr/marketing and financial analysis.

20. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    AMD isn't blaming the customer. The Fury and Fury X has sold really well (thanks to everyone that bought them!) It's the full systems that feature AMD components that haven't performed as well. It's full systems as a whole that has decreased in sales.

The rise in people using smartphones and tablets has contributed to the decrease in system sales as well as the impending launch of Windows 10.

The cards are selling and we've received some great feedback from the people that bought them :)