Problem with front USB ports

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Arumat, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Arumat

Arumat Guest

GPU:
    Hello,
    I have the following problem with the front usb ports.
    If I turn on the computer and plug an external 2.5" HD the disk light turns on, but the computer doesn't recognize it. If it's a flash drive what a plug the computer recognizes it.
    If I plug the external HD before turning on the computer it recognizes and both front ports are able to recognize it without any problem after removing it.
    The moba is a gigabyte z97.

Could someone help me solve this problem?

2. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You can try re-seating the cable lead that attaches to the motherboard from the front of the case. Make sure all the pins are clean and that the power pin isn't bent or anything like that. What kind of case is it?

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Are you trying to use a Sata to USB converter? If so the HDD might be old and require a little more power ;) If not try reseating the connector and blow the dust of and reinstall the USB drivers.

4. Arumat

Arumat Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for your replies :)

Is a corsair 400r, it has 2 front usb.
    I'll check the cables.

is a 2.5" WD, but not the current model.

I don't think that the problem is power because sometimes it works. The feeling that I get is that sometimes the front usbs go into "low power mode" because with flash drives they always work. I checked the BIOS, but the only thing I found was a legacy usb option and didn't get what it does.

5. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Then try to change things in the power schedule. Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings\Advanced Settings\USB settings and there you go :)

6. Supermile

Supermile Guest

GPU:
    Raedon 5670/ 2GB !
    And dust man....I had problem with all pc components ,because of lot of dust,,,,that s my experience if can call that like that...

7. Arumat

Arumat Guest

GPU:
    Changing the power setting in the power schedule and for the usb hub didn't work guess that I'll have to open the case to check the cables and clean it.
    Could it be a BIOS setting? Because the ports give power even with the computer off.