390x bios leaked

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by WarDocsRevenge, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    post a link to the modified bios you customised and i will take a look.

2. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
  3. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Your bios looks fine.
    the only thing i can think of is windows is not fully idling your card.
    or the other thing i can only think of is that your card has a default low limit offset, and no matter what you do you cant get it under that.
    or you could be using 2 monitors ? try with only 1 monitor plugged in.

if its like my card cause i cant get under 897-900mv on idle is cause i have a low level limit set on my card and yours could be the same.

if you really want more idle voltage temps. you will need to use msi afterburner and lower the voltage with that it should let you go lower but watch out, go to low and you will freeze up or black screen.

4. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    Only one 1440p monitor. I tried one modded 390x xfx bios and the 2d clocks were at 900 but i got a "display driver stopped working...." error every time i started up my pc, but then worked normal afterwards.

5. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yeah must be hardwired/programed in to your cards voltage ic controller.

im also hardwired/programed as i cant get under 0.879-0.900mv
    but when used in combination with msi i get awesome 2d temps.

0.794-0.800mv

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  6. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    xHey guys, thanks for you'll hard work for getting this far modding the Hawaii BIOS.
    I've a question but i'm not gonna re-read the whole thread again.. D:

Is there a way to set voltage Offset instead of setting a minimum voltage globally?

7. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Well after that little look in into TDC , I decided to look for info on the Vapor-X 290X VRM due to the rising TDC in the official roms I've been collecting.

The mosfets & drivers are the same as ref 290X PCB (other components differ + an extra phase for PLL (I think)).

Link:- Translated VX290X OC

Link:- Translated Ref AMD 290X

So 10 Phases x 40amp , Max 400amp :eek2:

No wonder load temps on VRM are so low as it's divided by 10 :D.

Only in roms where VolatgeObjectInfo table have one already, denoted by 8d 00 xx 00 , xx being a value which you convert to dec and then multiply by 6.25mv to get what is offset set to.

8. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    400 amp wow lol :D
    guess 206 is nowt then lol

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the reply, can i use OneB1T reader to find it or i need to use Atom in Linux? :(

I fired up my Hex editor and found this.
    [​IMG]
    The value is 2 so 2x6.25=12.5 but my card came with +13mV offset.. should i try mod the value? :nerd:

10. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Some interesting and comparative info here Link:- http://cxzoid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/r9-290x-vrm-design-specifications-run.html

They skimped on the Vapor-X 290 , glad I got an X! but TBH phases help stability / cut noise but I also read somewhere 5+1 is more than ample for 1200/1600, where binning / silicon lottery come into play.

Link:- Asus marketing info on their VRM

Due to Voltage controller being same as ref (IR3567B) and it only has 6+2 phase they use doublers. More info Link:- http://www.modders-inc.com/sapphire-vapor-x-r9-290x-8gb-tri-x-video-card-review/3/

This interleaving doubling would also apply to the Matrix / Lightning as I think they use same controller. Link:- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_290X_Lightning/4.html

Some interesting info on voltages here Link:- http://www.overclockers.com/asus-rog-matrix-platinum-r9290x-graphics-card-review/

HawaiiReader I think can find it under develop tab, not sure how & don't think you can edit in it.

In your image you have found it, why MSI AB does not show it as 12.5 is it rounds up figure and does not show decimals.

I would use atomdis to create tables for ROM and double check, but due to how many roms I've been looking at I'm pretty sure that is it. I tell by the 74 denoting table length and then the other hex values after it.

Also be aware if you flash a rom without offset and find you have one in MSI AB (after uninstall/reinstall with saying no to keeping settings) then your voltage controller chip has a programmed offset.

11. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Demmit, i didn't think this through. I don't think you can make -ve Offset which is what i need. :puke2:
    I'll try make it +0mV instead.

12. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    You can make -ve Offset.

Don't know formula but from tests via MSI AB and checking I2C dump / The Stilt MLU roms with - ve offset, you do it this way:-

Change hex xx out of 8d 00 xx 00 to

-6.25mv = hex FF
    -12.5mv = hex FE
    -18.75mv = hex FD
    -25.00mv = hex FC

and so on for other - ve offsets of 6.25mv steps, but as you can guess at some point they stop becoming negative offset.

13. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    Plug2k,

Alright, I have returned from testing the revised BIOS you provided me with in the post above last night. I did the same sorts of testing as in my previous post. Everything seemed fine except for playing actual games.

With all settings at stock on the above BIOS you provided games would launch but immediately crash. Feeling that voltage was the culprit here I opened MSI AB and began increasing the Core Voltage by small amounts until I got all games to run stable for at least 30mins+ of gameplay.

In the end I had to add +56(mV) to the core to get my cards stable on this BIOS at 1050/1250. The above BIOS you provided sets the card to 1.281(mV) max and my cards require 1.328(mV) to be stable at the 1050/1250 clocks leaving the powerlimit untouched as you said.

After completing the initial round of stability testing with the voltage ONLY, I went back into MSI AB and set the Power Limit to +50% and set the Core Voltage back to stock. Games booted but took slightly longer to crash than with the Power Limit at +0%. Although no matter what I tried, leaving the Power Limit at +50% did not allow me to get the card stable at a lower Core Voltage.

So in the end yet another BIOS revision is needed. I will be happy to test it as well!

TL;DR: The Latest BIOS revision you made for me is unstable at stock voltage of 1.281(mV). The stock voltage on the BIOS needs to be at least 1.328(mV) and it probably wouldn't hurt to bump up the Power Limit a bit more either.

Thanks So Much!

-Insan1tyOne :)

14. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Very strange, that your card would require so high a voltage to get stable @1050 core.

1.35v is really way to high for it, but you asked for it, just make sure you check and keep a eye on your temps when using this bios

as its set for 1.3v-1.35v depending on droop.
    and when you get back in to windows, make sure you reset back to defaults with msi afterburner, then test and dont use msi afterburner.

for recording your gpu voltage and temps using GPUZ.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Download : http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=26251847777178474600

*note, really though this is quite a high voltage for default reference clock speeds, im currently using around that voltage for 1180 core lol
    also power limit has been topped up, you shouldnt need to use powerlimit in msi at all.

15. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    Plug2k,

I completely agree that this amount of Voltage is very high for a measly clock of 1050/1250 Mhz. I mean 1050 Mhz is only 103 Mhz higher than the R9 290 stock clock of 947 Mhz and the memory clock remains the same. I guess my cards really are lemons... Regardless though, I will flash this new BIOS and then reset MSI AB to defaults and not change any values.

I am not so worried about temps though as having both of my cards cooled by AIO water-coolers helps keep the temps down quite low. And I always keep GPU-Z running in the background to monitor all of the sensors on both cards.

I will report back on my findings with this newest BIOS later tonight. I believe that at 1.3-1.35(mV) this BIOS should now be classified as an custom water-cooling / AIO only BIOS as the temps could get out of hand on air-cooling.

Thanks Again!

- Insan1tyOne :)

16. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:

Yeah if anyone downloads that bios or you give it to anyone, *state ONLY FOR PEOPLE ON WATERCOOLING, i hold no responsibility if anyone burns out there card on default fan stock cooling.

17. Dionysos

Dionysos Guest

Okay... another try. :infinity:

I am currently using BIOS version 015.042.000.000.003747 (from MSI) on my Sapphire reference R9 290.
    techpowerup.com/vgabios/149574/msi-r9290-4096-131205.html

I guess it's the latest BIOS for reference R9 290 with UEFI GOP.

What do I have to change for:
    1050 MHz GPU clock
    +50mV
    +50% power limit

Thanks in advance! :)

18. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    Plug2k,

Agreed. If I pass out this particular version of the BIOS to anyone it will be duly noted that it is ONLY for use on water-cooled cards. But anyone who is flashing a modified BIOS to their GPUs should understand the risks. If they don't they shouldn't be flashing the BIOS in the first place.

Regardless, I think it would be very interesting to see someone who has an R9 290 with a full-coverage waterblock use this latest BIOS revision and see how far they can go. :wanker:

Thanks!

-Insan1tyOne

19. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    I don't know what I did wrong, I changed these values and flash it always BSOD at Windows startup, anyone knows why?

[​IMG]

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Its obvious. 1: your card might not be stable @891mv stock
    or 2: you edited wrong,

ignore the voltage table, leave all those on defaults.

only change the other 2 you circled and also change the 4 in the limit tables tab.

then try again.