help with 290x crossfire freezing, but single gpu ok

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by |ALE|, Jul 13, 2015.

1. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

may be i have founded the trouble....

i have removed the card on first slot leaving only a card on the second slot.

1 minute of bf4 during gameplay i had a both image and audio slowdown for two second... like freezing but not freezed. The game continued to run without problem... i think that in a dual card condition this slowdown could freeze my pc...

so may be i have a 95% working second pcix slot... not easy to rma...

2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    What GPU-Z say about the bus interface?

What is the PCI-E X.0 xXX reported in the case you only use the second slot and in the case you use both slots (both GPUs)?

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Wait what? You said you had a reference r9 290x. So i assumed it still had the reference cooler on it.

4. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    This explains alot, he has someones failed experiment as a second card and wonders why it crashes.

PCI slots either work or they dont, Hope you didnt pay too much for the mut hybred you got there and I question now if its a 290x at all.

5. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

a reference card is too hot... i pur a kraken with h75... i hope to test an other MB z97 may be today....

6. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    temperature on both cards gpu/ram? maybe some kind of overheat? fa caldo :p

7. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

dottorfoggy it's all ok (caldo o non caldo!)

now started to freeze with single gpu... i have a great question on my mind.... the other changes from 1 card to 2 card was installing 15.7 driver (win 8.1 and win 10)

the only game freezing my pc is battlefield 4..... i would like to know if some hardcore gamers of bf4 has system freeze with 15.7.... now i'm playing with Windows update latest driver (single card, win10), about 45 minutes without problems...

8. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    me, no prblem with bf4, all ultra, mantle, 1080p, cross fire
    same for assetto corsa, after 2 hours no problem, cf and single too
    have some strange browser crash on explorer, first time for me

9. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    what kind of browser crash?

if it happens during video playback... just disable "hardware acceleration" in flash and in advanced options of browser.

10. MSIMAX

MSIMAX Active Member

GPU:
    3x 290x cfx
    i used to have similar issues with my trifire setup they would clock to 1100-1200 on their own but when in cfx middle card use to cause freezing around 1050-1070 psu is 1300 evga g2 but through testing ive found out different bios makes my 290x perform better u can try asus latest bios. if you use gpu tweak first flash with pt1 bios then update through gputweak itll give you their lastest bios. i used pt1 and can now play at 1100 gpu on all cards .currently running the xfx 390x mod bios as this has the same results but it allows 2d clocks to save power.

11. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

no problem at all to pass benchmark... but bf4 still keep freezing pc. other games at this moment are not relevant (from my games library) because no one use both gpu at 100%....

i have tried to limit the framerate in bf4 to 120fps (2560x1080, full maxed, blur off, msaa off, fxaa medium, resolution scaled to 130%) and helped a little... games freezed after about 25 minutes and not after few minutes... my bioses are latest release for both cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  12. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

sad "eureka" i have tried metro last light redux, full crossfire support and usage like bf4... after few minutes black screen/freeze and must shutdown pc.

my issues are hardware... but i don't know where to look...

13. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

founded the issue. my reference card started to freeeze in single mode. i thinked about fault mobo, fault PSU... and it was the reference card. i had in single mode some.crash but initially i was thinking it was an oc problem of my PC.. mah! thanks to all, i hope to resolve.

14. mustrum

mustrum Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    Did you try to downclock or up voltage on cards?
    My cards need more voltage to run without blackscreen in crossfire then single.
    If i keep my clocks i used to have with one card in crossfire it results in a blackscreen. I allways looked at my new second card and thought it is crap until i found out my "old" card needs a little more voltage now.

15. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i don't want to touch voltage/frequencies. i have bought this card used... i return it to the seller.

this card started to freeze (sometimes) after first setup but having a crossfire i was thinking it was a crossfire problem or a psu problem... i have bought a new psu... the problem was that the freeze wasn't in every games but only in intensive games and not ever... now i have tried metro last light that is full intesive (more than bf4) and the card freeze in the intro or 1 minutes after gameplay...

now the card freeze at launch of a 3d application in single mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015