help with 290x crossfire freezing, but single gpu ok

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by |ALE|, Jul 13, 2015.

1. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i have a problems with my crossfire setup

i5 4670k 4.4ghz
    2x4 8gb2400mhz
    z97m gaming micro atx (latest bios)
    290x reference card 1000/1250
    290x dc2 card downclocked from bios to 1000/1250 (and edited frequencies table to match 290x reference card).
    win 8.1 x64 updated

latest bios for both 290x

i had a "old" thermaltake 875w xt psu.

playing crysis 3 vga are not sincronized, sometimes, the second goes up but negative scaling, only 450w on my wattmeter

playing bf4 huge scaling and performance but after few minutes my screen goes black (sometimes i hear audio freezed) and i must shuwdown from power button my pc and because if i push reset, my pc keep running without showing nothing.

i have changed psu thinking my thermaltake was too old, i have ordered a lepa (yuelin manufacturer) maxgold g1000-mb 1000w. I have the same crash/freeze, identical situation.

driver cleaned, 15.7 (and older), windows quite cleaned (it's only a pc gaming...), ulps disabled.

i don't know where to start.

i have tried to put stock my cpu/ram... no luck

on my mobo with two card i have pcix 3.0 8x for line.

with single card (on first slot) both 290x reference and dc2 runs very well without problems.

may be a pcix (the second one) fault? format and reinstall the SO i think can't help.... any help will be appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    ULPS is disable?

3. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

yes.... i'm playing alien isolation 2560x1080 maxed with filter at over 250fps frpm 30 minutes about.... max watt 600.... bf4 its a great stabilty test but it crash...

4. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    so, in single card both are running perfectly?, i mean are you running in single only the first one, or you tryied also se second one in songle mode?

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    which drivers of all did you try out?

6. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

both cards were tested in single mode on this pc and on an other mine pc.

now i have disabled this service

http://www.trigonesoft.com/index.php/download

it's a small app to resource monitor (cpu, vga, ram, service) on a tablet... i have played with bf4 for 45minutes without freezes... i'll continue to test and report..

EDIT

no luck, i have tried an other time without the service enabled and after 8 minutes bf4 freezed... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  7. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

15.7 whql and AMD Catalyst 15.x (15.200.1040.0 June 8)

8. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    Weak PSU

Personally I think your aged "Bronze Certified" power supply is too weak for your setup.

Here is a Power Calculator site you can plug your info into, near the end is a section on capacitor aging. If you use 10% your rig will show 831 Watts needed but if you use 50% aging it will show 1050 watt needed.

Even a new 850 PS "Bronze Certified" would have a problem but a "Gold Certified may be ok. Good luck

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

BaNsHiE

9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I am suspecting the PSU as well. That particular one has a 5 year warranty I think.

What are your temps?

10. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

now i have a 1000w gold with 92a on 12v... i'm trying stock cpu/ram (tested also with old psu)... my temps are really fine

11. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    have a 850 xfx gold, 2600k @4.5 and 290's at stock clock + watercooling, but i cant have oc on vga or it will shut down him self :(, need more power

12. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    If you are satisfied that the PSU is enough then I would move to the Sound card, I know that sounds strange but I have had MB's that with sound enabled in bios it would crash but with sound disabled it never did.

I bought a small usb sound adapter for $8.00 and played with that for two yrs. and it never crashed again. Mine was a Realtek onboard sound and conflicted with some driver. Try playing with it disabled or if its a sound card remove it and play.

BaNsHiE

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    That's impossible. You can't have 92A on the 12v rail with a 1000w power supply. 92a x 12v = 1104 Watts

14. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

15. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

can't ne a PSU problem, on full load i get 650w peak with CPU oc...

16. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    You said your temps were fine, does that include VRAM temps?

17. BaNsHiE

BaNsHiE Guest

GPU:
    Saphire 7970 TriFire
    I know your pain, had a 6990 crossfire that had same problem and that was a bad PCI power cable. Spent alot of money finding that one.

My current build is all water with three Saphire 7970's and as I removed the coolers to put the water blocks on "one" card had a missing thermal pad on one of the memory chips, so if I didnt find that it would be black screening because of that alone.

Have had the issue with realtek onboard sound also, so you see there is no easy answer to anything.

I have learned to start with PSU then cabling then components then OS, I hope it's not the last thing you check and save some frustation.

BaNsHiE

18. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i know that i don't speak very well english... but i have just said that my cards works great in single mode... so no vram faults (temps/bad chips) or any other problem.

psu changed
    both cards working in single mode

now i'm trying without the oc on the cpu... and on win 10 x64!

19. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    You need to look at the temps while running CrossFire. Heat increases if you run more than one card at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  20. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

i have a good ventilation

first card has a kraken with h75 and a cooler with fan on vrm

second card is a dc2 with fan curve modded to ensure low temps.

test on cpu stock and win10 ... 1 minutes of bf4 single player, freeze.

psu no
    oc cpu no
    cards working
    so no
    drivers i don't think...

maybe the second slot of my mobo...??? UFF...