Review: ASUS Radeon R9 Fury STRIX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review the ASUS Radeon R9 Fury STRIX in depth from FPS to FCAT, from noise to heat levels. This cut-down version of the Fiji XT GPU comes with the new ASUS DirectCU III air-cooler. Armed...

Review: ASUS Radeon R9 Fury STRIX

2. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    I think you should begin to test newer/ better known titles,. Tomb raider ,thief ,bioshock infinite are old games not suited for today's needed processing power. Titles better suited and demanding are Far cry 4 ,Assassins creed unity + other titles I can't recall right now.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We balance old and new titles. BTW you do not mention we use GTA-V, The Witcher III, Battlefield Hardline, Alien Isolation and Middle Earth Shadow Mordor.

Also the titles you propose are from Ubisoft, I always have issues with their DRM stuff and launchers. Last time I tried I could not even login anymore. So Ubi titles are a no-go.

4. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    That was just my honest opinion. Ubisoft games are unoptimized so in order to push high frame rates in those titles you need have high and raw processing power which only newer gen. of gpu's posses. Anyway thumbs up for review. :)

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Unoptimized means inconsistent results. Thats the last thing you want for a benchmark.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Anybody who wants to go AMD should stick with this rather than the Fury X. Form factor, price/performance ratio etc. are way better.

It's kind of a weird release though, as Hilbert pointed out, it's like AMD is purposely trying to sabotage itself with this behavior.

7. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    I'm ordering 2 of this cards for my main rig. :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X
    If I was deciding between this and a 980, I'd choose the Fury. Seems like AMD is on the right track with this technology. With a die shrink and double the memory the Fury line will be able to go head and head with Nvidia.

9. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Why would a customer save 100$ over a 980ti for this hardware?
    ~450$ should be the right price.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Good, ubifail deserve even your middle finger...

Now, you done so much testing it just awesome, i hope you will have time soon to do the Kepler downgrade myth test, to see once and for all how and if nvidia neglected kepler.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Of course...AMD as usual is the company taking the risks and pushing the envelope--nVidia as usual is the company relying chiefly on pushing frame-rate bar charts & benchmarks to push the products it continues to milk. Often with a new-architecture product like the Fury you are buying potential as well as current performance & IQ, whereas the older products have already been through the wringer and what you get now is all you will ever get from them...;) It also doesn't matter what DX12 level a given card claims to support, what matters is how well it supports what it claims to support (that goes for both companies, of course.)

Hopefully after Win10 officially ships at the end of the month we'll be getting some d3d12 demos from both AMD & nVidia...!

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    With the exception of the Titan, AMD is already head-to-head with nvidia, in a performance perspective. That's exactly why the Fury X was so underwhelming - basically both that and the 980 Ti are roughly equal (or will be, when AMD updates their drivers). The Fury is a much more interesting GPU, because it's supposed to compete with the 980, but it meddles with 980 Ti territory too.

In terms of hardware, all AMD needs to do is get some 8GB HBM and a die shrink, which would hopefully result in less cooling power required. Once they do that, they've got a pretty solid product.

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I wonder what we'll see in the future, as by going by previous ATi/AMD product names, a "Fury XT" which could feature upgraded ROP count for example. I can totally see it happening.

I've said it before that these releases seem just like stop-gap measures and going by past releases from ATI and AMD, we've often seen cards released by them that perform lower than expected and then a few months later launch absoloutly fantastic cards and we can date this back to for example the ye olde 9000 series and each successive series, although the 2000 series kinda saw that trend get swapped around, where they released the upgraded chip as a new generation (the 3000 series).

Regardless of the speculation though, these cards do show promise and longevity too.

14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Although I agree with you and prefer AMD, it seems clear that NVidia's way of doing things works better. (They are making a lot more money.) Oh, and thank you for the review Hilbert.

15. nexuno

nexuno Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Looks like we have a 1440p king if the prices are @GTX980 level. Good for AMD!

16. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Great review , and a good read , AMD I think has found a good spot with this card and i wish them luck .
    I just wish ,,and would of loved to have seen 8gb hbm card and the impact that would have at 2560x1440 and higher resolutions if any :)

Its just that 4gb of vram that niggles me .

Im now waiting to see what the UK prices are going to be .

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X
    But only with a 980ti non OC'd....That is why AMD needs a die shrink and more HBM.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    This card would of been great if it was released around the time of the gm204 launch. Timing is off.

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    u are going to nitpick every single this about amd

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I am allowed to give my opinion in a public forum. Like I said too late to the party imo. What's every single this mean?