Win 8.1 pro sleep mode wake BSOD

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Cybermarc, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Cybermarc

Cybermarc Member

GPU:
    STRIX ASUS 980ti
    Hi all,

Since a few months i'm getting BSOD when waking up from the sleep
    mode.:bang:

After the computer restarts, it's asking to press F1 to reconfigure the BIOS.

After the reconfiguration everything works, until the next BSOD from wake up.

System information:

MB:ASUS X99 pro BIOS 1801
    CPU: Intel 5820K
    RAM: Gskill 16GB (4X4GB) G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-2666 Kit, F4-2666C15Q-16GRR, Ripjaws (XMP is enabled in the BIOS)
    SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500GB (On the same controller as the HDD)
    HDD: Raid 1 2X1.5TB seagate (On the same controller as the SSD)
    PSU: 1050W Seasonic
    GPu: ASUS STRIX 970GTX
    Sound card: ASUS STX (Beta driver)

Windows 8.1 pro up to date
    Nvidia last drivers
    Chipset last drivers
    SSD last firmware

Can some one be so kind to help me with this issue?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Are you overclocking at all? It sounds like a hardware issue rather than a Windows one.

First thing I would try is disabling XMP on the RAM and using the standard JEDEC profile, XMP profiles are not always foolproof and can cause instability.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Use utility like BlueScreenView to look at the source of failure.

4. Cybermarc

Cybermarc Member

GPU:
    STRIX ASUS 980ti
    @ Morbias: No, I'm not overclocking. It is just the XMP profile which is activatate on the motherboard and in the BIOS.

XMP profiles can they be upgraded? Is it possible?

Between Corsair and Gskill is there a difference?

@mbk1969 I can not find the Memory.dmp under C:\Windows...

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Did you disable Hibernation in Windows 8.1?

If not open a CMD prompt window and disable it with the following command;

Code:
    powercfg -h off
    Also, when your RAM is set to XMP does the mobo change the baseclock to the 125 MHz strap?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

That will kill fast boot iirc, it relies on a hybrid of hibernation/shutdown

7. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Correct, although as this is a mATX desktop system it can still use sleep mode 3 (Suspend To RAM), which does not write/read to/from any of the drives, such as Hibernate does.

I find this is a good way to test if the RAM/Mobo is stable and configured correctly.

If STR works ok then he can always re-enable Hibernation later.

As you probably know Fast Boot was designed for portable devices (Laptop/Notebook/Tablets etc) that may be disconnected from the domestic mains power supply and then run on battery.

The only time that STR can be a problem for desktop PC's is if the power fails and you have no UPS - which results in a dirty shutdown and possible file corruption.

I would still recommend testing Suspend To RAM a few times just to rule out a few possibilities.

8. Cybermarc

Cybermarc Member

GPU:
    STRIX ASUS 980ti
    @chinobino

- The sleep (Hibernation) is turned on, for efficiency. Is the OC not compactible with the sleep mode?
    - I'm gonna try to turn OFF the Sleep mode to check the stability.
    - The fast boot is disabled
    - The computer is connected to an UPS APC 1000W in case of power loss during the nights.
    - I have tested the system with AIDA64, is there an other better program to stress the memory? Shall I test the memory with MEMTEST64?
    - Windows Memory Diagnostics tool said there were no issues
    - Can it be a problem of the BIOS battery?

9. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Possibly - I have seen some motherboards apply incorrect voltage when coming out of sleep mode, or reverting some memory timings to SPD (instead of XMP) which results in an unstable system when using a higher baseclock/memory strap.

Also, my own testing with an the Asus X99 Deluxe with an early BIOS showed some instability (when cold booting and coming out of sleep mode) using a higher baseclock such 125 MHz, which was automatically raised when the memory was overclocked to 2800 MHz or higher using XMP.

Also you may want to try enabling/disabling "Sata Aggressive Link Power Management" (just note that when it's disabled that Hot-plug will also be disabled so don't unplug any drives while the system is running).

I highly suggest disabling hibernation and checking if the PC will come out of sleep correctly whilst overclocked first.

If it won't then I would disable XMP, set everything to stock (especially the baseclock and memory strap) and test sleep without hibernation again.

Just make sure your RAM is detecting correctly and the voltage/clockspeed/timings match up with the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) details on the SPD tab in CPU-Z.

If the PC won't come out of sleep mode when set to stock then it could be a problem with the BIOS settings, the Intel RAID OROM/Drivers, your SSD or the PSU.

Good, you can test if sleep mode 3 (STR) works.

Good to hear, this means that you can leave hibernation disabled if it refuses to work.

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to run memtest86 overnight just to be sure the RAM functions without error when the XMP profile is applied.

That's good. The Windows memory tool is Ok but does not test all of your RAM as some of it gets allocated to the system/hardware and is never tested.

Memtest86 is much more thorough and tests all but 1MB of your RAM, so I'd advise using it instead.

Very unlikely with a new motherboard and battery.

If the PC is saving your overclock settings and/or not losing time when completely unplugged from power then I'd say it's fine.

It's more likely to be something in the BIOS not set correctly such as "Sata Aggressive Link Power Management", which you may need to enable/disable depending on your SSD.

I have to get some sleep - will check this thread tomorrow, good luck in the meantime :).