Something Fishy About Seagate

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by juke, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    St3000dm001

Read this thread earlier and after realising I've not checked my HDs health in what seams like ages I discovered one of my 2 3TB Seagate is now showing some bad signs :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I updated the firmware last year which fixed the random chirps and I've checked again just now and its still current (CC4H).

Just installed seatools, it's passes all the short tests, in the middle of a long test now...

So looks like another failed seagate in the works :(

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    This is why I ordered a WD External 3TB for backups besides the
    Seagate 2tb in my server. That was already a replacement drive for the 2tb that went tits up after 2 years.
    Current 2tb already somehow corrupted once before and lost 1.5tb of data.
    It took 5 1/2 hours to copy 598 GB from my 3tb to my 2tb over a gigabit network to have a double back up of my steam games.
    Plus I didnt wanna copy each game 1 by 1 and install them in steam on my server.

I will never buy seagate again. Only hds I have ever had die on me.
    My 80GB raptor is almost 9 years old and still going strong in my server.

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    All HDD's will die eventually but Seagate ones seem to be the worst of them all.

In the last 12 or so years of computing i have had 3-4 HD's fail on me, 2 where Seagate and the other was Maxtor.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, the nature of mechanical hard drives with their moving components means that they will eventually fail. However, I expect a hard drive to last at least three years but in my experience some of them barely manage 18 months and the galling thing is that some of only have 1 year warranties!

I have just ordered a WD Black 2 TB hard drive from Amazon for £95 to replace the Seagate one that died last week. It is pricey but it is apparently faster than the Green variant and comes with a five year warranty (presumably the reason the drive costs nearer £100 than the £60 of other 2 TB drives).

Kind of pissed off at the moment with dying hard drives and can't wait for the time when SSDs are cheaper enough and large enough to be viable as mass storage for games.

5. Michael Chen

Michael Chen Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC-U
    Well, I have a storage that (unwittingly) uses 12 Seagate ST3000DM001 drives.
    Yeah I know these drives are not suggested for such use, but I have 4 failed disks in the 1st month!
    Now the storage is out of warranty after 3 yrs. I have replaced 9 of the 12 drives.
    Scared by the 1st month experience, we changed the order of a second storage with 12 WD black 3TB drives. It had only 1 failed drives in 3 yrs.
    I'd say at least avoid the Seagate 3TB model.

For those curious, we ended up having 96 WD red (not red pro) 4TB drives in the datacenter. Only 3 failed from them in 2 yrs.

6. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
  7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The drive failed with only 2 bad sectors? Bad sectors are very rarely an indication of imminent death in newer drives because the data gets moved somewhere else. The drives are designed to mitigate some sectors going bad. It is said that the majority of HDD's develop a few bad sectors in a year or two and it's almost always nothing to worry about. I have a WD drive that reports over 400 bad unrecoverable sectors and it still works. How did your drive fail? What exactly happened?