Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2015.

1. baasgene

baasgene Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    sheesh, I think it's safe to say you got a bad card there Hilbert. I cannot imagine that Asus quality control would approve over 80 degrees temps. It would be interesting to see the Asic quality of this card, it would be an ideal candidate to squash the supposed importance of a good Asic. But if it's a low Asic then there might be credibility to it after all.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Amazing price? It costs 900€ here and the normal AMP! version 821€ while the MSI one costs 800€. What's the Extreme part about that card?

3. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Every time I see one of these 980ti reviews I can't help but think that nVidia must be cursing AMD for forcing them to set the 980ti's specs as high as they did.
    They're essentially throwing the Titan out with the bathwater.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Indeed lol, no 980Ti card is priced "amazing", they are great looking and performing, but the price/performance ratio is still bad (with Titan X's being mind blowing...).

5. Lina Inverse

Lina Inverse Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 G1
    kitguru's review also shows a much lower max temperature.

Maybe you got a faulty card Hilbert?

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Really liked the look of that cooler, 12+2 power phase design etc but tbh those temps are a bit high if you ask me. I know card is factory OC'ed, it's quiet under load and that fan curve can be adjusted by sw but still I was expecting something in 70C range under load with fan curve presets in card's BIOS.

Anything new about MSI 980Ti Lightning?

7. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    82° Load temperatures with THAT cooler? For what are there 3 fans on the card? Are they even spinning? Sry but this sounds like a joke for me. I was so interested in this card because I want a 980Ti with top cooling stats and I REALLY thought with such a cooler, this card would do the job. Now I'm just disappointed. And then, they even downgrade the factory OC...

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even with the Strix 970 there were inconsistencies in temps from review to review and user to user, +/- 10c load in some cases. Seems same with 980ti.

9. Gamer deluxe

Gamer deluxe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 4GB
    AnkH_82 is absolutely right. At the beginning the "most silent cooler so far" is mentioned while noise level load is at 41 db in table.
    And IDLE temparature is much too high. 48 C with those massive heatpipes while MSI and ZOTAC perform at around 35C?

There must be something wrong.

10. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    Ok this card is out for me, when will you review Evga 980 Ti Hybrid?

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My guess, never. :rolleyes:

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Regarding the high temps, even if the review sample was a faulty card, then this doesn't say much for the quality control!

13. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Thanks to this review again!
    Hummm... to me is no surprise at all...
    Asus last years lost leading to MSI because the "superior quality" that too much people say (asus fanboys to me) does not exist more.
    I sell too much video cards and last lot of ASUS just break me down with 2 RMA and the R9 Series to hot that can toast easy a egg over the chassis...
    This 980ti just prove what i just saw before. More clock, more cooler to this performance? And the worst its more expensive...
    Make no mistake and go by the G1 or MSI that are better products more cheap... if you want total power go by AMP! EXTREME...

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yeah, 48c iddle tells me that the cooler isnt properly seated and / or the tim is bad.

When hillbert saw the 48c iddle, it would have been niced if he had checked for the above.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's Hilbert

16. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So many naysayers,.. I think a lot of people dont understand what Hilbert explained about this hardware. Asus traded a bit of temp (which is still cooler than reference) for a more quiet experience. If you trully want to compare the g1 or MSI lightning with this (which are also excellent products) you'll have to compare them at similar decibals. If ypu dont care about that then simply set the fans past 55%... Make it 100% fan speed, sure you'll feel like you're sitting next to a jet engine but you'll have way better temps.

17. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My EVGA acx2 runs at 55c idle so I know this is a trait of the gm200 with passive cooling. In it's defense, my case isn't ventilated when iddle, everything is off except for a water pump that's passively cooling the CPU at iddle (passive-aggressive)

18. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    It's a faulty sample, kitguru did a review on this same card, scored 73C under FURMARK, 67C average gaming. Please, guru3d, redo the review, check the card, or try another sample.

Update: just checked another site (less known), got 69C average, 71C with OC. Definitely something wrong with the sample used by guru.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  19. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    51% - from page 9
    [​IMG]

20. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I did some comparison MSI 980ti vs ASUS 980ti.

ASUS seems to have more advanced PCB design, than MSI. Plus ASUS card has more phases.

MSI PCB

ASUS PCB

MSI has better cooler, at least in area where it directly contacts the GPU. But ASUS disperse heat from most of VMRs with main heatsink as well, and MSI uses some cheap small heatsink for it.
    Also on ASUS main radiator, you can notice that the part which directly touches GPU has bad quality (there are gaps between heatpipes on GPU contact area), also it seams that part of the GPU is barely touching the main heatsink (heatpipes are bent).

MSI GPU HEATSINK

MSI VMRs & MEM HEATSINK

ASUS GPU & VMRs HEATSINK

So guys, what do you think? Which one is better? Better go for quiet and fairly cold MSI or maybe a better designed ASUS (PCB wise) and downclock it a bit and increase fan speed?