Styx master of shadows

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jul 1, 2015.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    its gonna be the first tuesday of the month from now on

2. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Just in case anyone is interested, I attempted to get all 4 insignias on the first mission (not the prologue). It was very challenging, but so much fun!

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    As a huge fan of stealth games, I have considered this title before a few times but figured since no one was talking about it, it must have sucked.
    But I'm just gonna wait for Dishonored 2.

And I'm just gonna say it, Thief 1 and 2 were and are not that great. They have their appeals which wasn't consistent enough imo.

4. Wunderbar_007

GPU:
    That's fine, we all have our favorites :)

Could you please recommend some stealth games to a fellow stealth player? I greatly enjoy the Thief trilogy, The Dark Mod, Dishonored, and Styx Master of Shadows. Couldn't get into the Hitman series though, and really hated the new Teef game.

5. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just got this one when it was on sale too, a few missions in and it's pretty great. I really like the level designs so far

6. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I would recommend mark of the ninja if you haven't tried it, I really enjoyed it. I've also heard good things about invisible inc if you're ok with turn-based games. MGS V: Ground Zeroes is pretty good too, although it's really short.

7. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Game dialogue. Maybe I'm just not used to the style, I dunno. In the middle of Witcher, so....

8. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Hmm. Nice.

Maybe I will try it out later on. Stone can you tell me a little more about the architecture and level design? Are the buildings you move around in just big set pieces, or can you free roam to like a parapet hundreds of feet above the ground? Or are there lots of invisible barriers?

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    No invisi walls to speak of. The level design is actually some of the best I've come across in recent memory in this kind of game as it leans towards a mixture of verticality ala Assassins Creed and Batman where you can make your way through a level at points completely off the floor high above enemies. There's also an additional amount of wall scaling much like Prince of Persia where you can traverse up to much higher or lower points of a level thanks to metal crosses on the wall. Secret Goblin only size paths exist within each part of a level which is normally split up into 4 there is a hiding place where you can stock up on health or spend skill points.

You can free roam to an extent but this will often rely on you solving maybe puzzles to open locked gates that then lead into new areas of the map.

The levels all do feel pretty big with plenty of exploration and just to give you an example as far as I am aware each level has a hidden relic somewhere to be found and I'm still yet to find a single one even though I feel I've been quite thorough. Again you can revisit any mission from a hideout if you wish to be a true completionist.

Much of the time you will fast pass through a level if only to avoid the multitude of enemies so this also means you can miss fairly big portions of a level. If you'd rather attempt to take out every single enemy and fully clear an area there will obviously be plenty more to explore but as enemies become increasingly more difficult and more in numbers - yeah good luck with that.

All in all if you love your stealth games and know exactly how to get the most out of them as a seasoned vet of older games in the genre Styx delivers pretty much everything you could ask from the genre. As I've said before it does feel at times like a fairly budget AAA title from Focus Interactive compared to Hitman and AC etc but devs Cyanide have really done a fantastic job I think.

Perhaps watch some Youtube walkthroughs first and then decide? Just be sure to find one that has someone who actually loves their stealth when you do to see the game played as it should be. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Metal Gear series or some of the Splinter Cell's come to mind. There just aren't too many games quite like Thief and Dishonored. You really might want to look to give Hitman another chance, I enjoyed Absolution. Walking through crowds, covering your face as you pass by enemies, sneaking up behind them for the kill then hiding the body...good stuff.

I also played FarCry 2 and 3 as stealth, I went sneaking around everywhere, sniping out enemies, taking them out one by one, hiding in the foliage, up on hills behind rocks...etc. I had a lot of fun playing them that way.
    Metro Last Light on hard mode had some stealth moments you could do, sneaking your way around enemies, finding a good strategic position..etc.

AC: Unity...great graphics and has a lot of stealth opportunities, hunting your targets, taking them out one by one. sneaking into buildings...etc I played it after the last patch and really enjoyed it. I may even replay it sometime soon.

Hell there's even Thief 4...I know, I know, it's not the same...but really, just pretend it's called something else and play it, it has some great atmosphere, lighting and stealth gameplay and bar none controls...just ignore the fact they named it Thief and it's really not so bad at all.

Going retro, Rescue: The embassy mission on NES is kind of stealthy for it's time.

11. Wunderbar_007

GPU:
    Thank you, Duke, maybe Mark of the Ninja would be worth a shot. I hear great things about it, and it's different that what I normally play (sidescroller, right?)

Oh yeah, Splinter Cell is something I remember enjoying back in the day, haven't played any past the first (maybe the demo for Chaos Theory); should be worth looking into. Not too crazy about the Metal Gear games, just not my thing. Same for Hitman, I'm afraid, but I think I'll give the later games another shot. Blood Money supposed to be the peak of the series, right?

Far Cry, AC, and Metro are all good suggestions too, but these are all series I lost interest in years ago. Maybe seeing what their latest games have to offer could be fun though.

And by Teef, I actually meant Thief (the new one) and I have no respect for that game. It's an embarrassment to old Thief fans, and has one of the worst stories and characters I've ever seen in a game. Not sure how you could like the contextual controls either. Too bad, because the gameplay was actually decent at times, especially when the city opened up. I finished the game not too long ago and wouldn't even return to record a 100% run of it for the channel.

Regardless, I really appreciate the suggestions :) Know of any good ones coming up? Something to look forward to besides Dishonored 2?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This.

At first i wrote the game off as it was nothing like the prior games and just a poor stealth game in general. But its got some weird charm or character about it that i quite put my finger on that makes me revisit it every once and a while.

Gonna pick up Styx today. Actually looking forward to playing something. Havent had the motivation to game in quite a while.

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Thief 4 was not a bad game at all, and I'm a huge Thief fan. It is, however (like stated above) a bad THIEF game. Thief 4 is definitely a good stealth game and a game of itself.

14. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yea, I liked the latest Thief game. Looked amazing. But damn that Asylum level. And DAMN what was at the bottom of that place. I STILL have nightmares...

Any suggestions?

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Go replay the Deus Ex series with a stealth approach.. always a very stealth satisfying game when done right.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Can't think of any coming up, but one other one I would 100% recommend is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, especially if you like Dishonored (it's the same developer). It's a pretty good stealth game if you want to play it that way, and it's just a great game all around however you play it.

stealth segment starts at 1:14

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Dark Messiah is fantastic!

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    SLI - DX9:
    0x03500005 (Alan Wake, Alan Wake's American Nightmare)
    Setting Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest may also help with performance.

Ambient Occlusion
    0x00000010 (Unreal Tournament III)

Setting Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest may also help with performance.

Edit: Some GUI elements like Tutorial Message boxes and the Text that is displayed in the Upper left hand corner when in the Option/Pause menu sometimes flicker or AO passes through. Nothing game breaking so far.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Styx 2 is happening with a bigger budget and using Unreal Engine 4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-14-styx-gets-a-prequel

Colour me happy loved the first outing.

20. Jamie T

Jamie T Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    Hey Guys I made a video this game was fun, buy it onsale when you can.