AMD Fury X Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fox2232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Im "giving" my current rig to my wife so she can keep playing/working. Im going for a 100% new build with skylake. Budget around 2000-2500€ (monitor included).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Are you running in UEFI mode, secure boot=on? If so, then the card supports the UEFI GOP function--at least on my motherboard, I cannot enable secure boot unless the gpu supports UEFI GOP...

From the link...

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I thought long and hard about an insult that I could share, an insult that we'd all enjoy...but darned if could think of one...:)

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im getting the Benq XL2730Z, v2 firmware supposed to make a helluva diff, cracking screen by all accounts :)

Has a better freesync range than the Asus, which has only got 35 - 90Hz, and the Asus is getting bad bleeding reports, Benqs a much better screen from reports.

5. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Good to know, ty!

Mayb an stupid question... but... How can i know firm version? Serial num.? All are updated already? Possible to upgrade from v1 to v2?

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    It tells you in the monitors menu, the v2s are supposed to be rolling out from 1st July (may be some trickling through now though, not sure), but if you do get a v1, then you just have to contact them through support, and they'll arrange for it to be picked up for them to do the update, then once its done, they'll ship it back, takes no time at all, quite a few are reporting getting them back in about 3 days over here in the UK. :)

Taken from a review about the issue :-

7. runelore

runelore Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury x (x 2)
    Fury x vibrating/grinding noise

Hi guys,

I received my 2 XFX Fury x's yesterday and I have noticed something that worries me but I wanted to ask here..

Basically I get the noted coil whine, which is fine, I am used to that.

The issue is that when I load up a game or anything that puts a little pressure on the GPU's, I get a strange vibrating/grinding type sound from the GPU itself. This is not from the fans/radiator or anything else in my system. Also the cards are installed as required in the manual with the rads the right way up and above the GPU's.

Also, when I move my mouse around in the game, the pitch of the grinding sound changes?!! It isn't quiet either, its fairly loud and very hard to ignore. When not in a game environment or just using the system in windows, the noise isnt there..

I have uploaded a video of the sound but it wont let me post the link to it , try the below link without the spaces :

h t t p s ://w w w.dropbox.com/s/bcn37p6szrsbdzx/VIDEO0044.mp4?dl=0

For those wanting to skip to the actual sound, it starts at about 01:00 minute into the video.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else here has this, as both of my cards are doing it.. and wether I should send them back.?

Cheers for any help guys..

8. tarot

tarot Guest

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    sounds like the pump to me.
    does the other one do it?
    the only thing that also may do it is if you mounted it with the hoses up top but you mentioned you installed as per manual.

if not remove the evil one and rma it before it explodes and takes out half the planet...well maybe not that bad.

I,m guessing that is the one with the coil whine as well.

mine is dead silent regardless of what I'm doing

9. runelore

runelore Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury x (x 2)
    They both do it, I took them out and put them back individually and tested and they both do the same thing. I think I will just RMA them as you say and wait for the next batch :(

It's a sad, sad day!

Cheers for the reply!

10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    About noisy Fury's... are all of you on XFX Fury's or some brands are failing with coil whine/noisy pumps more than other brands?

Ty! Ill wait a week or two before pulling the trigger, just to be sure v2 are out :cheers:

PS: Sorry about off topic spam.

Edit: rewrited. Hope its clearer now. Need some english lessons :bang:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

11. runelore

runelore Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury x (x 2)
    Mine are both XFX but not sure about the rest of the guys here. I don't think the noise I am getting is the same as the coil whine people have been mentioning, but I can't be 100% sure.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Re-ordered my monitor, picking it up Friday :)

13. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    This sounds like the pump has caught some air, so there are bubbles in the pipes. The strange thing is that the sound changes as the load changes (associated with coil whine).

I would try using one card only, removing it from the case and reinstalling it back, all the while keeping the radiator and the pipes higher than the card. This is to try to get the presumed air pocket in the pump assembly out to the radiator. Then I would turn on Vsync and start a less demanding game on 1080p 60Hz to see how the card works when it heats up a bit on a light load (using some monitoring software of course).

14. runelore

runelore Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury x (x 2)
    thanks for the response. I will give that a try. I have a Corsair 900D still boxed as I was finishing off my custom cooling loop purchases before using it but I will strip down and move into that case tonight and do exactly as you have advised with the radiators, then try a little case tipping too :)

I will post the results but thanks for the suggestion, I really hope it works because I really don't want to have to RMA them!

Cheers again - Mo

15. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    As far as I understand, all reference Fury X cards have been manufactured by Sapphire for AMD, there are no differences between manufacturers so far.

The regular Fury will have different manufacturers. It takes about 8 weeks from production start to deliveries to retail stores (AMD Roy said something to that effect at the end of 2013 when the cryptocoin craze resulted in high demand for 280X and 290X cards, could be less for Fury).

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sounds only like coil whine combined with EMI interference to me. I had similar with my 7970 in the beginning. You can try to get the card to heat up and work like a madman for sometime (2-3 hours), and it usually subsides with time. I used to leave the card without vsync or fps cap at the main menu of Rome 2 Total War. After a couple of sessions like that, the coils settled and I never had coil whine again. I would try that before RMA (since there doesn't seem to be any other problem with the cards).

17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Have anyone bench tested this card with win 10 + the latest win 10 drivers???

Any difference compared to win 8.1 version in terms of performance?

Can anyone post please? Thanks

And yes its been awhile since I took a peek at the latest ati drivers on their site, man, drivers are like last year, holy moly, long time.

18. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Let me know how it goes :)

Honeymoon is coming to an end next week and i'll order it asap once I'm home.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Will do :)

20. Joschi

Joschi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    there are win10 drivers?