Go for 980Ti or wait for Pascal?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Zamiel, Jun 23, 2015.

1. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I agree with the 290x as the temp card it's power will be enough of an upgrade till Pascal, if you don't mind the power it sux and the temps.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You can wait forever for the next thing. If you need something now, buy it :) You can always sell later and buy Pascal when it's out.

I'll get Pascal on release day for sure.

3. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Thank you for all your thoughts so far.

@Halfmead: Normally I play @ 1080x1200 BUT after DSR was integrated in the nvidia drivers I play @ 2560 × 1600 whenever it's possible because that looks insanely good :) But with the 680GTX this is only possible with older games

@ -Tj- Thats my problem, I want all the sliders to the max :D

At the moment I'm considering this card http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Zamiel, where are you based? Can you link some online retailers in your country? I'll have a look and recommend what would be a good buy. Others will too, I'm sure. Pricing varies a lot from country to country so it's difficult to recommend the best card for you unless we know what's what.

5. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok... I would either go with the MSI Gaming 980ti or MSI Gaming 970 for now and then go Pascal. The 290 would be around 40EUR cheaper than the 970, but I'd go with the 970 over the 290 if on budget. If you can afford the 980ti, go with that, it's near enough 970 SLI performance and great cards.

7. Zamiel

Zamiel Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    @ eclap
    Thank you for your advice. I really think about the 980ti now, because up to 1 year to pascal is a long time and my 680GTX is no fun anymore. I can afford a 980ti, thats not the problem, but I can't afford another high-end card just one year after. And even if I could, I wouldn't do that. A card that expensive has to last 2-3 years in my opinion.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think it will definitely last 2-3 years. It should at least.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The 980ti will last a while. I'd just get the 980ti now and maybe in 2 years from now look at some Pascals that outperform it by some 20-30%. Hell, my 970 was never as top end as the 980ti is and I've had it for almost a year now and I have no issues. It plays everything I can throw at it perfectly fine, although I can't run copious amounts of AA and max every game, but with a compromise here and there, it performs just great!

Look at it this way, the 980ti is pretty much a TitanX, only with less vram. Most people buying Titans keep them for at least 2 years, if not longer. The 980ti will do well.

Pascal is a bit of an unknown atm, we'll all have to wait and see how that works out. Waiting game is a no go in PC hardware. You can never do wrong getting a solid card for a reasonable price. 980ti atm is a THE card atm, offering great value for money.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015