Help with overclocking a Gigabyte 980 G1 Gaming

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mahanddeem, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Hello,
    When using MSI AB and gpu core and vram at stock (1228/1380 ingame, 7010 vram), my gpu never exceeds 74% power usage.

Even when I increase core to 1550MHz (which is 170+ in core slider) and 100% power limit with stock voltage, I don't see different power usage (same or a bit more; maybe 78-79%). But I'm having DX error crashes. and I'm on 353.12 NVidia driver (high oc or crappy latest NVidia drivers?)

Do I still have to increase power usage to 122% in AB? even though MSI AB never reports more than ~75% on default 100% power limit?

Thanks

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Hi , The G1 have one of highest power factor set in bios, so seeing 70-80% max, is normal .
    You just have to find the highest clock with best voltage for stability .
    Test voltage and clocks for GPU core only first.
    Once found then move over to OC memory .

Many are having issues with 350.12+ drivers as far as stability, so first run stock to make sure your stable with whatever driver your using to test, then work up on OC .
    On power slider, you can just leave it maxed , it probably not going to mater on G1 unless you mode bios for higher voltages . but start at stock voltage and work up .

3. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    i used this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking, that guide is mean for bios flashing so be carefull, i'm using it and it's fine and since new drivers are having issues with OC cards, flashing the bios and having it in "Stock" the sistem it's stable and good (at least for me), the stock clocks of the bios are 1291/1531 and 7012, you can read more in the article

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thanks guys.

5. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    1550Mhz is a lot for a 980. 1500Mhz is usually stable. 1550 often not. Just test stability in 50 Mhz steps first. Then u can try smaller steps. When u think it's stable lower the Mhz by maybe 20 Mhz just to make sure it's really stable in all situations.

The reason u don't see a higher power usage might also be related to the temperature of the card. It could be that the card is throttling because of the cards temperature.

And u have to monitor the actual GPU speed. The speed u set in Afterburner is only going to be used as long as the card doesn't get too hot (or as long as the power limit is not reached).

The power limit u can simply leave maximized since it has no negative effect.

Also, I see no advantage of flashing a custom BIOS as mentioned, since your card already has a sufficiently high power limit.

6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1550MHz is in-game boost speed(I agree it's a bit overkill), I have AB OSD active.
    GPU temp is 58-62C peek(with 60% fan profile) on 1550 vcore, unless the throttling can happen relying on other temp, I doubt it, cause gpu temp sensor is the only sensor on card(I might be mistaken and other hidden temp sensor is there)

So throttling due to overheat is a very distant theory.

7. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    Sure, in that case there should will be no throttling due to temperature.

The low (for that speed) temperature also helps to keep power consumption low.

And your GPU might have a lower than average standard voltage requirement (GPUs are voltage binned from factory), which is always nice to have.