AMD displayport causes black screen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by potatochobit, Jun 3, 2015.

1. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I know some people get black screens at boot up
    or setting the wrong monitor information causes a black screen

but lately I've been having a different problem
    while the computer is on, browsing the internet, playing a game or whatever
    the screen will go black
    the only solution is to reset the computer
    it only seems to happen on displayport and only happens once ever few days

anyone else experience this?

something weird happened today for the first time
    I changed the screen resolution to "test" and clicked apply
    I then changed it back to the original and clicked apply and closed CCC.
    but then 2minutes later, the screen suddenly reverted to the test resolution.

so I opened CCC and manually changed the resoltuion and clicked apply.
    again, a few minutes later it reverted, this happened 3 times.
    a reboot fixed it.

does this all sound like CCC problems?
    I wonder if it could be because of freesync
    Ive tolerated bad AMD drivers for years, but glitchy drivers, I don't think I want to stomach that.

just for discussion I do have a weird setup.
    I have an LG ultrawide monitor 2560 resolution but I also have a new 290X with the strange OC(UEFI).
    I wonder if my graphic card could also be dying.
    others have reported RMAs.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    I'm pretty sure if you google "290 blackscreen" you will realise you aren't the only one.

This is a memory problem, downclocking your memory and disabling HW acceleration in browsers stops it completely.

3. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    absolutely no way am I going to disable hardware acceleration lol
    I would get rid of this card and change to nvidia before doing that

I used AMD overdrive to downclock the memory like you suggested and kept the browser off, seemed to work I dont know
    but recently I still got a black screen and this time the fans came on FULL BLAST which is very weird.

anyway, there seems to be lots of suggestions as to why this happens
    from people saying that the memory board is incompatible or drivers are bad

I guess I am going to have to start an RMA
    I was just past the 30days return window with newegg is annoying

I wish I had known how much a serious problem the 290X is having
    I had a 280x for awhile and heard nothing about this on other forums

ANYONE BUY SAPPHIRE REGULARLY?
    when I got my new package, inside was actually dusty and little white bits were all over the static packaging.
    I cant tell if sapphire makes products in a shed in china or if I was cheated and newegg sold me a returned item as new

4. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Sapphire is great, sounds like you got cheated.

And yeah, you'll still get random black screens from things that activate 3d mode suddenly, that's why disabling browser/flash accel stops it. Heck DXVA might even trigger it I think.

Full hardware programs (like games) don't have this sudden change so they aren't subject to black screens.

5. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    do you know if the STEAM application could cause the black screen to happen?

6. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    If that only happen on DP but not on other port, then it may be the "displayport pin 20 problem", google it for details

7. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    It might not be a bad idea to swap the DP cable. I had a similar issue (black screen from wake) that I'm pretty sure had something to do with the mini-DP to regular-DP cable I was using with my old 7850.

No problems now with a regular-DP cable on my 290x. I had some strange issues under my old Win7 install that had gone through a few hardware upgrades - like during GPU driver installation it would BSOD after showing a bunch of red artifacts, but still manage to install the driver after trying a second time. I took the dive and tried 8.1 - its running great and all the weird driver problems went away with the fresh install. So that might be worth a try if your windows is getting piled up with old crap.

8. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    hi thanx for the replies

I actually am using the monoprice display port cable
    not sure how I should fix this, better read some more

for now I will change back to HDMI just to be sure

9. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    ok I switched to the HDMI cable and got a black screen today, so its been about a week
    I also lowered memory down to 1200
    uninstalled flash player and removed chrome
    reinstalled it
    going to try the 15.6 drivers but I heard they are basically the same as the 15.5 I was using
    so I guess I will send it off on RMA

10. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    The driver is the same + Batman profile.

Just RMA it already. The card is not operating at its specified characteristics. If you have to downclock it, it's a product that lies to you in the box.

11. atticus806

atticus806 Guest

GPU:
    980 Ti Classified
    I've been having similar issues with my recently acquired Devil 13 (with Hynix memory). I've tried an Acer 1440p 144hz monitor, a 4k Samsung UD590, and now I currently have a BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144hz monitor. All the while trying the different displayport cables that came with them in different combinations. I experience the same black screen issues, browser issues, as well as some hard crashes on game launches.

Confirmed I had up to date BIOS on Motherboard and GPU. Some drivers were better some were worse. Memory downclocks and hardware acceleration reduced the frequency of the occurrences, but never alleviated. Even with reduced occurrences it was still a daily occurence during 3-4 hour sessions on my PC. Refresh rates didn't seem to matter as it occured on 60, 100, 120, and 144. Hard to say what is truly to blame or rather if its a combination that is to blame.

You definitely aren't alone on this struggle and it seems no one persons situation has been exactly the same. I was able to test another Devil on my PC for about 2 hours and had no issues during that time frame, but I don't feel like my test period was long enough to make a solid determination.

Ultimately, I decided to RMA my Devil with Powercolor to see if is any better with the returned product.

12. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Ok, I got my RMA back a few weeks ago from sapphire
    I installed the same 15.6 drivers that were causing problems on the previous card
    I have not had a black screen occur since

I am now using 15.7.1 for the past week on the display port with freesync and audio
    and no problems

(audio switching did stop working sometimes through the display port on 15.7 but seems to be fixed in 15.7.1)

this is on windows 7, btw

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  13. |ALE|

|ALE| Guest

You must give +25mv with afterburner...