Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I hear what you are saying, but I wasn't planning a rebuild before Win 10 anyways.

My current card seems able to handle what Im doing now, but Im also not someone to buy most games as soon as they are released.

There is also the point that Fury X seems specifically targeted to a mode I cant even afford, 4x gaming on DP. Despite all the birthing I've seen it seems a very logical target to aim for.

I hope that makes sense, because its outside of what I 'do' personally currently.

2. HonderdProcent

HonderdProcent Guest

GPU:
    Fury X 4GB
    Driver 15.15?, wondering how the performance is if the win 10 drivers are released for this? Maybe it can up a few fps. Just a quick thought.

3. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Cmon don't be like that :). I'm sure Titan X owners felt salty after seeing 980 Ti benchmarks, especially when OCed. Don't forget that NVIDIA was in the dark too about the Fury X, so they took the safe route and released a dominant $650 card to compete.

AMD was never looking to compete with the Titan. They wanted the GTX 980.

4. tsk2k

tsk2k Guest

GPU:
    Adreno 330
    No DVI connector is a good thing, may that fat bulky connector rest in peace.

5. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Plus 1

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Welcome to competition, something AMD sucks ass at now-a-days.

They don't even have the price this time around. AMD obviously can see what NVidia is doing and went ahead and made this mistake anyway. It blows my mind.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hope it does not point to me. if so, refrain from things you understand poorly.
    I am not "Die hard AMD fan."
    I am "Die hard anti nVidia realist."

And mind that I have nothing against their GPUs/ mobile chips. I owned few before giving them away.
    I simply do not like nVidia as company. And that is consequence of their actions over years.

8. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Heh, I was just quoting someone who said that NVIDIA doesn't even "try" to compete, when it's the exact opposite. NVIDIA made the perfect competitive move against the Fury X (which would've dominated otherwise, being second only to the $1000 Titan X). NVIDIA's sly at competing, whereas AMD fell into their trap.

AMD's plan
    Market $100 over GTX 980
    $100 extra=liquid cooler if anyone asks.
    Benchies show that Fury X dominates GTX 980 and gets close to Titan X at 4k.
    AMD wins.

Nvidia countered it splendidly.

TBH I don't know what AMD could have done, besides lowering Fury X to $550, same as GTX 980? And remove the liquid cooler?

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The way I see it, Nvidia and AMD have both pushed 28nm to the limit. When the next fab shrink hits it will be all to play for. Things are going to be epic since we're skipping 20nm altogether; imagine what will happen when all these optimizations get applied on 14nm with HBM in the mix.

If you want to get excited then it should be for the next generation of GPUs, we should see a massive performance jump.

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great review and it is as good as the Gigabyte G1 980TI review.
    Got me a couple of Fury x cards on the way and it is what I expected from the Fury X card.
    AIO cooling for the price of a reference 980Ti and equal performance works for me.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No, not you. Look above my post though. :nerd:

12. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    What kind of Pizza? I will deliver...

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Titan X didn't sell as good as the original Titan. I hope this will be the last time we see that like of card. Most Titan X buyers could care less about the 980Ti they have double the VRAM (even if it's not needed) and 980Ti performance 3-4 months earlier than others so they see it as price of entry.

14. GHAM1

GHAM1 Guest

GPU:
    sapphireTRIXX R9 290x CF
    and to go nvidia means i loose my monitors main function lol
    3D
    so nvidia card and 3d kit
    na to costly
    my 290Xs aint going anywhere

15. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Ya, tho it'll be a while till we get our 14nm mainstream card (9800GT/GTX 660) :(

Tho I'm sure Pascal's 9800GT will be at least equivelent to a 980.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Pretty sure he was talking about a certain member with a couple 0's in their username

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Looks like Gtx 970/980s are cards for 1080p,max 1440.
    Radeons R9 are for 1440/4K.

But well the drivers for Radeon R9 FuryX@1440 are still unoptimized.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    out the box, there's 980ti out there that beat the TitanX. Of course, once you overclock both, TitanX pulls ahead a little bit.

Problem is, this costs the same as the 980ti and it's slower. Overclocking is pretty poor too. Clock a 980ti at 1500mhz on the core and it's bye bye FuryX, see you later bro.

Underwhelming, but somewhat what I expected. This had to be faster and cheaper than the 980ti for it to be successful. If 2 things cost the same, people buy the faster card. Problem is, even if the 980ti was more expensive (which it isn't, not in the UK anyway), it would still be picked over the FuryX more often then not considering it's a faster card.

AMD fed us all this nonsense promo crap and they deliver this? Price drop surely incoming on the FuryX, they can't possibly sell it for the same price as the 980ti!

Nice cooler, thermally really nice. Bit noisy though. Lack of DVI/HDMI2.0. Meh, mess.

Good review HH, enjoyed it.

£509 on OcUK mate, same as the 980ti.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Underwhelmed.. thought it would be a better card as well, looks like it's time to get a 980 Ti.. :D

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000