Review: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2015.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I knew it amd cant beat Maxwell, kinda hopes this would happen. But next year fury will trash 980ti when drivers are optimized and nvidia gimp maxwell

2. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Disappointing. I will admit I had my doubts, but I hoped this card would trash the Ti so we could have some serious competition.
    Well let's wait for drivers I guess..

This ^.

People overhyped this card too much. Users happily named this 'titan x killer', when in reality board partners at E3 said themselves that it's not up to par, even to the Ti.

Keep us posted, Fox. I'm skeptical it will help much, but AMD does seem to have a driver overhead problem.

Are you serious? Weren't you the one hyping up the Fury X in just about every thread you could get your hands on? Oh yeah, it was you:

3. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I wouldn't be so sure :D
    [​IMG]

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Cheers for the review Hilbert.
    Great as always :)

Could you possibly do a couple of FLIR photos front and back with the covers off ?
    Hardware.fr's sample had much higher temps than yours, and when they measured the VRM's (from back with back cover of), they were about 104°C.
    Seeing as you also have FLIR camera, it would be great to have a second opinion.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it is better than 290X despite not as expected...
    to be around Titan X and 980TI is a very comfortable place in performance even if you are not the fastest by 50% more lol.

what bother me more it 's the price too close to the 980TI if AMD start to be expensive... :puke2:.

what i love it is the memory :) it is a nice stuff.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    XD lol!

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Hilbert that is one hell of review congs!!!!!
    Now i hope u soon will have time to look at kepler

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lets be real here. You may be disappointed by gtx 980Ti if it came even 5 months ago. Which actually has better performance per dollar than gtx 980. (It is here for 1 month only.)

Then be bit more realistic in those benchmarks. You get there total average conclusion that 980Ti is like 5% better than Fury X. Some of sites used only nVidia sponsored games.
    And some of those benches went to 200fps for 980Ti vs poor Fury X doing only 155.
    That kind of things get averaged to final conclusion? Are those people mental?

Each benchmark should be limited to 144Hz as there is no faster screen today. Then you see how big/small is difference between 980Ti and Fury X.

Card delivered very good performance per watt and per $, bit under 980Ti for now. But that is Driver thing at least on lower resolutions.
    Definitely good for people who do use down-sampling.

9. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    You do know that NVIDIA countered the Fury X by basically releasing a Titan X at $650, right? An OCed 980 Ti is a Titan X with less RAM (that doesn't matter as nothing takes 6GB so FPS is the same)

If NVIDIA "didn't try", then AMD would've destroyed the GTX 980, and justified the $100 price boost with the liquid cooling solution.

NVIDIA destroyed AMD's plans with the 980 Ti.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    but there will be a new gen of GPU from AMD and Nvidia too...

290X is a nice AMD GPU btw, keeping it isn't a bad thing.

11. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Btw thanks for dat review HH :D.

Just finished cleaning the drool off my desk.

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    The main questions are:
    What card we buy and What games will play?

FuryX is good,still there but 28nm is not more woth it for Amd.

After Batman AK fiasco what the heck? We play only GTA V & The Witcher 3,only 2 games who worth change your card.
    We wanna spend lot of money but what we gonna play?

Sad moments.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    After reading all the damn reviews. Unless you are going 4K with lesser monitor going nvidia is the choice really if you really have to upgrade. With the same price that is considering fury x is actually pretty powerful what I don't like is amd having piss poor overhead so it loses a lot in lower resolutions. The card is way faster then 290x and starts to trade blows with 980 ti and titan x when you start to need power but most don't play at damn 4k :D

So yeah disappointing surely and yet I think it is fine. I just want 14/16nm cards already.

I am actually more interested now what does Fury and Nano bring to the table they might be the winners here.

14. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Yeah I bought a R9 285 when it was on sale....don't see the point of getting anything bigger before we see DX12/Pascal fallout.

15. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    Wow with the amount of hype from AMD fanboys, I was expecting this card to destroy 980Ti AND Titan cards.

It can't even go over the max FPS by 980Ti reference card, forget beating the OC versions of Ti.

On top of that, let's not forget that Gameworks/PhysX will still work better on nVidia cards. To make me buy Fury, AMD had to basically give us 20% better performance than Ti to make it worth sacrificing Gameworks/PhysX effects in games out there. I was expecting way too much thanks to the hype.

Anyways, now that the AMD circus has died down with disappointment (yet again), I will wait for new GOW remake, which will have more Gameworks integration to buy 980Ti.

Thanks for the review.

16. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Nobody was expecting a $650 card to approach a $1000 card...but we were hoping the Fury X's massive memory bandwidth would usurp the 980Ti.

That said if I had $650 burning a hole in my pocket and coulden't find a whore or pizza, I'd get a 980 Ti.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You're blind my friend. Nvidia didn't have to do anything. GM200 was taped out when GM204 launched. They released it so they could move on to Pascal not because of AMD vaporware.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why do people think drivers are going to magically speed up the card by magnitudes? Here's the breakdown for the 290x from release driver (13.11 Beta 6) to driver at time of review (Catalyst 14.7 RC1, about 9 months after launch):

-In 3DMark the R9 290X gained 2.5% in FireStrike and there was no change in FireStrike Extreme.
    -In Battlefield 4 the R9 290X gained 1.3%.
    -In Bioshock Infinite the R9 290X saw no change.
    -In Metro Last Light the R9 290X gained 1.8%.
    -In Sleeping Dogs the R9 290X saw no change.
    -In Tomb Raider the R9 290X saw no change.

http://www.ete-knix.com/examining-amds-driver-progress-since-launch-drivers-r9-290x-hd-7970/

(remove the dash in the www.-.com)

So where are you all coming from that "drivers will make massive boosts to performance"? It's like buying a car which gets 50 km/l and saying that when the "new car oil" thins it will supposedly get 70 km/l which may put it ahead of its competition... in a few months. It's absurd.

Here's the bottom line as I see it:

GTX 980 Ti advantage over FuryX:
    -Faster on average
    -More memory (4gb vs. 6gb)
    -Uses less power
    -Better connections (DVI-D and HDMI 2.0)
    -Better driver support (sorry, until AMD releases WHQL drivers this will stay)

FuryX over 980 Ti:
    -Smaller
    -Comes with water cooling (either an advantage or disadvantage)

So why on earth will someone choose a FuryX over the 980 Ti?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Die hard AMD fan... One person comes to my mind. :nerd:

20. GHAM1

GHAM1 Guest

GPU:
    sapphireTRIXX R9 290x CF
    thats true, but then this would be cheaper lol
    i like to keep up to date, esp when upgrading selling the 290x now for eg means i can still get some value back making upgrading a lil easier. that selling it a year or so later so will give fury a month or two chance before i decide.