AMD Catalyst 15.15 (Official Radeon 300 Launch Driver)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Everyone did, huh? You're full of it.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes, the Catalyst 15.5 D3D driver.

Because that list doesn't really matter, and they have enough on their hands already with a new GPU and a new OS hitting at the same time.

These are the D3D11 64bit DLL of 14.12 (on the left) and 15.5 (on the right).

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are the exact same version, the only apparent difference being the build date, which is 6 months later for 15.5.

Let's open them on a diff editor.

[​IMG]

The yellow lines on the guide to the left, are lines with differences. The grey lines are lines that are not present. The files have 6025 differences between them. Furthermore, even the physical structure of the file is different. This, along with the actual performance differences in the Witcher and Project CARS, simply tells you that the build number doesn't matter in this case.

TL;DR: The way that developers advance build numbers on their software depends on the way they work and what they do with it. Unless any of us is there with them, it is stupid to say that things have no differences when they so obviously do both in performance and in the physical structure of the file itself.

EDIT: Welcome back sammarbella, new adventures await :D

3. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Then AMD have a highly unusual development process. I have never encountered any sort of software that doesn't alter the version of crucial files when updated. Have you?

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Detailed explanation Pr.
    As I said before. We don't know how AMD write/process/commit drivers, we really have no idea. Unless someone works there and can give us details we can only assume. He said it all.

5. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    To the below:

First it was any sort of software, then the easy example I told you about is ignored, and now it has to be an "everyday" piece of software.

Sure, it follows that most software development uses a version scheme for a multitude of reasons. Just as it follows that blueprints are part of the development of a house.

There is nothing wrong with that and no one is saying otherwise.
    What is being said though is that the universe doesn't mandate those things to be true.
    Houses can be built without blueprints and one ought not be turmoiled with disbelief when confronted such a structure.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  6. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Again, someone give me an example of an every day piece of software that doesn't change the file version when updated. If you can't, my logic is completely sound.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The version changes so we know it's updated, it's not required.

8. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Apparently not for AMD, but I've never seen that anywhere else. Hell, even onboard NIC drivers from a small company like Realtek always advance the version, no matter how tiny.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No it is not. The AMD driver is a piece of software used by hundreds of millions of people. We DO NOT know the "rules" that push a driver version up, it is as simple as that. There is also the possibility that their internal code checking system has micro revisions that we don't see embedded in the DLL versions.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Open-source development usually follows a standard so all can follow it without learning a new style every single project. It's not good to compare to it. GPU drivers are a complex beast.

11. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Yes, PieEyed, you're so smart... Again, give me an example you know of without searching Google.

Outside of AMD, give me an example of such without searching Google. I'm not saying you're wrong in the case of AMD, but I'd like to see your thinking as to why my logic was flawed.

Still waiting on those examples of software that updates without changing the version. Guess you're busy searching Google for something obscure.

12. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I'm not sure I really understand the problem is now but you're being quite rude to several forum members. Least deserving of such being Pr. This is the website http://enbdev.com/ if you wish to pour through it all. There are probably a bazillion versions - some of which were updated without version change and noted as such. I use this software very frequently.

Found this on the news page as one of the first items
    "3 june 2015

Updated ENBSeries 0.267 for Fallout 3 / New Vegas without version change. Fixed the bug which did in previous update."

13. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    That's pretty obscure. I've never used it, so I can't refute what you're saying about it either.

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    For a place called "guru3d" it's not that obscure. ;)

On a seperate note. Have you really not known the joy of skyrim + ENB? It's really amazing what can be done. If you have the game you should check out some of the many mods for this title. As a bonus, ENB has been released for what seems like dozens of titles.

On the downside, xfire is highly recommended!

15. Quejikos

Quejikos Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    If it's updating without a version change, it's usually because it added a profile, shader, preset, or something similar and the primary EXE or DLL didn't need to be modified. This type of program is too different to be relevant.

This is all becoming very muddled. My point is that I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected a version change in the case of a significant update.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    as all A(ti)MD just get the tuto buried in this forum and get the actual version of the tool.

despite more NVidia side i agree: generaly on AMD card there is hynix mem that can go a lot faster.

17. Freaker1

Freaker1 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580
    Thank you asder!

This driver seems to be pure gold for my 280X.
    Only thing is that EnableVSR doesn't work anymore.
    Is there any chance to fix this?

18. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Just because you haven't used a site does not automatically make it obscure. Reading through this thread it's very apparent that you only care about your own opinions.

The issue is you are assuming the version we see stamped onto a file is the same as the versioning the developers use internally. It's not. That is why many do not increase even though they have been changed. They have their own internal versions to keep track of bugs and regressions. The number we see means very little to them, it changes only when they feel it is necessary. It is really not a hard concept and AMD is hardly the only company to do it.

19. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    I tried installing the all cards modded version while following all the right steps (did this before for other drivers), but got the "Installation Complete (warnings occured during installation)" message.

Since then, I can't install any other drivers without getting the same error. I tried going back to 15.5 and 14.12, still get an error during install.
    Card: 7950

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Report.xml.xsl"?>
    <monetreport xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes">
    <general>
    <cmdline>-UI </cmdline>
    <time>06/17/15 16:46:58</time>
    <action>install</action>
    <download></download>
    </general>
    <dcm>
    <device>
    <name></name>
    <manufacture>Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.</manufacture>
    <chiptype></chiptype>
    <chipid>0xaaa0</chipid>
    <vendorid>0x1002</vendorid>
    <ssid>0xaaa0</ssid>
    <ssvid>0x1787</ssvid>
    <classcode>0x040300</classcode>
    <revisionid>0x00</revisionid>
    </device>
    <primary>
    <name>AMD Radeon Graphics</name>
    <manufacture>Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.</manufacture>
    <chiptype></chiptype>
    <chipid>0x679a</chipid>
    <vendorid>0x1002</vendorid>
    <ssid>0x3000</ssid>
    <ssvid>0x1787</ssvid>
    <classcode>0x030000</classcode>
    <revisionid>0x00</revisionid>
    </primary>
    </dcm>
    <exist>
    </exist>
    <install>
    <package>
    <description>AMD Catalyst Install Manager</description>
    <result>Succeed</result>
    <version>8.0.916.0</version>
    <size>20 </size>
    </package>
    <package>
    <description>AMD Display Driver</description>
    <result>Fail</result>
    <version>14.501.1003.0000</version>
    <size>90 </size>
    </package>
    <package>
    <description>HDMI Audio Driver</description>
    <result>Fail</result>
    <version>9.0.0.9905</version>
    <size>1 </size>
    </package>
    <package>
    <description>AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding</description>
    <result>Succeed</result>
    <version>13.30.100.41120</version>
    <size>3 </size>
    </package>
    <package>
    <description>AMD Catalyst Control Center</description>
    <result>Succeed</result>
    <version>2014.1120.2123.38423</version>
    <size>150 </size>
    </package>
    </install>
    <uninstall>
    </uninstall>
    <downloaded>
    </downloaded>
    <resource>
    <hwinfo>Hardware information</hwinfo>
    <existpkg>Existing packages</existpkg>
    <pkg2inst>Packages for install</pkg2inst>
    <pkg2uninst>Packages for uninstall</pkg2uninst>
    <otherdev>Other detected devices</otherdev>
    <errmsg>Error messages</errmsg>
    <name>Name</name>
    <manufacture>Manufacturer</manufacture>
    <chiptype>Chip type</chiptype>
    <chipid>Device ID</chipid>
    <otherhw>Other hardware</otherhw>
    <download>Download packages</download>
    <succeed>Success</succeed>
    <fail>Fail</fail>
    <vendorid>Vendor ID</vendorid>
    <classcode>Class Code</classcode>
    <revisionid>Revision ID</revisionid>
    <ssid>Subsystem ID</ssid>
    <ssvid>Subsystem vendor ID</ssvid>
    <header1>Catalyst™ Install Manager</header1>
    <header2>Installation Report</header2>
    <finalstatus>Final Status:</finalstatus>
    <versionofitem>Version of Item:</versionofitem>
    <size>Size:</size>
    <bytes>Mbytes</bytes>
    </resource>
    <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error> <error><msg>Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation</msg></error></monetreport>

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    and those half-assed attempts surprisingly do work better than they sound!

thats the essence of it.

you have to understand... apart from your excursion to the fundamentals of versioning in software development... that just because you buy a "certified pre owned car" doesnt mean that a "privately sold pre owned car that is not certified" cant be of better quality in individual cases.

its the same with the drivers. some work astonishingly well and better than the last WHQL driver. and others are unstable or even slower or both.

you have to try that out and communicate your results in the forums. that way everyone has the most actual information available and can know for himself which driver it's worth trying out if you are a careful person.

on the other hand the probability of data loss or complete system failure is maybe approx.. as high as running your OS on a RAID0.

yeah maybe one out of 10 modded drivers ****s up your system. but in 99% of THOSE rare cases you uninstall it in safe mode and reinstall the old driver.
    in 1% maybe you have to reinstall windows. 1% chance of a 10% initial chance .. thats 0.1% chance that you have to setup your system from start. 1 in 1000. and that doesnt mean that your data on your drives are lost. it just means that you cant run windows because the driver is corrupt even in safe mode.
    again. there is NO WAY you lose data because of bad DISPLAY drivers.
    unless there is malintent from the modder and he actually edited the setup routine to delete something. but this can happen with any other small freeware/communityware in the internet. it happens one time for one guy then never again. so asder is making these mods for a while now and he put so much effort in it there is no reason to believe he will put malicious code into the files. (i dont say that you believe that, i am just explaining what aspects someone could be worrying about)
    basically a dev at any company could do the same from one day to another and hide some newly, still undetected dangerous code in a commercial product. again things like this happen one time. and then the guy loses his job and his reputation.

so basically if you are such a clever guy as you try to convey here... you should know what can happen when software updates go wrong in contrast to when "evil people" put in malicious code.

if you cant risk reinstalling your machine in 1 out of 1000 cases (probably waaaay more cases). -> dont do it.

if you dont have time to uninstall a driver after finding out it doesnt work better than another one. -> dont do it

if you arent happy with your performance but don't want to use modded drivers and instead just complain. -> go to hell or go to NVIDIA (almost the same right ;) ) and see if you are better off there... maybe you are. maybe not.

you see i am complaining as well when a driver is not working.
    but the difference is i try them ALL out until i found the best one for me.