Exclusive review: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But look at that graphics score bro, that's what counts, and that's where you shine, 24.5k right there bro. :D Beating the 980 Ti nicely. :)

There's no way a 980 Ti can beat 970 SLI lol.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    +1
    Great!

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    but do you think it will beat it by far or ust a little bit. let's say I have great scaling in a specific game and the 980ti also runs great on the same game. i know it's weird but yeah. I'm still awaiting some more custom boards to come out to see if they can do even better but I doubt it.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Trust me mate, the graphics score in 3dmarks doesn't really care about anything but the gpu grunt. It's the ultimate gpu bench, always has been. You could go from 1600mhz ram to 2400mhz ram, from 4 cores to 6 cores with HT, you name it, the graphics score will remain the same, 95% representative of the gpu grunt of that shiny PCB slotted into your PCI-E slot.

There's margins for error though, there's discrepancies. I just find it funny when people boast about their P Scores... when they don't really matter at all, 3dmark is all about graphics score.

you always make me laugh :)

@HH, cheers for re-running the bench and showing a score close enough to the one in the review. It's a bit below, but withing margin of error.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

5. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    Lol after seeing some troll here i am guessing that AMD fanboys is having a brain fart after seeing GTX 980 Ti poor guys cannot see anything positive on AMD side.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    People who are that invested in a brand that they feel the need to defend one or the other out of blind loyalty, defending a purchase or otherwise would instead do well to just get a life..

All these years of people bickering about which is better and why makes me really weep for humanity at times.. buy what is within your price range that works for you. All the rest of the bitching and whining and arguing is just a waste of energy.

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    980 Ti will always be better.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    To those interested,

First off, Oj has been barred from this website. I got fed up with the attitude and accusations, I don't see how I deserve to be talked to like that. That said, I re-ran all the 3DMark benchmarks this morning. There are tiny differences that easily fall within a random margin, the Extreme mode still hovers well above 9000 which should not be possible to the criticasters, the standard FireStrike run hardly shows any difference.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_soc_review,24.html

As stated throughout the review, we run the benchmarks with Gigabyte's OC Guru II software enabled at best performing mode available, OC mode. If you purchase an SOC edition, we assume you'll be using that performance option.

All benchmarks have been run twice, all validation scores have been included on the page.

9. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    First off - he was big troll--- good riddens I say.

Second - you're doing a great job Hilbert, very much enjoying your articles very often with a smile on my face because of the fresh and energietic writing ;)

Third - No you do not deserve being talked to like that, people tend to forget that this is a free site and that no one forces them to be here.

You have my thanks and admiration for running such a great site and let's not forget all the Don Mods :D

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We all admire the work you do Hilbert, your reviews are very thorough and well informed.
    Shame you have to put up with a few bad seeds here and there but you'll always have our support :)

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    F*ck that man, some random noob.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Kudos to you Hilbert for handling it so well.

13. taims11

taims11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Did not saw this statment on review, looked from "Introduction" and "Test Environment & Equipment"

Found it after this post in "Product Showcase" (page2)

People do not read all the article (lets be honest). I would be nice if you put in "Test Environment & Equipment" page
    GeForce GTX 980 Ti - Gigabyte G1 Gaming - 6 GB GDDR5 graphics memory (OC GuruII OC mode)
    or something like that to avoid people like me asking dumb Questions.

But otherwise i loved Your review and ordered 980 Ti G1 for 767€ in Estonia right after i read this review.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where the hell did you get it for 767 bro? :D

15. taims11

taims11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB

16. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Well if people do not read the whole article, they should not going full retard and accuse Hilbert from cheating. Not you off course, but the two jokers that got banned :)

My bet is the price will be the same, or maybe higher.

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's mentioned on several locations. Second to last paragraph on the first page:

However if you combine it with their OC Guru software and place it in OC modus, this puppy will default towards 1291 MHz on the Boost clock with a base-clock of 1190 MHz -- hellooohooww !

First paragraph in the conclusion page:

I do immediately need to address one side-note though - please keep in mind that at default the product is clocked at a 1152/1241 MHz base/boost clock. That's pretty nice already, but in order to get the 1190/1291 MHz base/boost you are forced to use Gigabyte's OC Guru software. I do dislike that, if you are going to offer an OC mode, then it should be set like that in the BIOS. End users should not be forced to use software. Not using the OC mode will result into slightly lower perf as the clock revert to 1152/1241 MHz.

But fair enough I can understand it can be confusing, I added an extra comment in the sys info page as well make it even mode clear on the introduction page.

19. taims11

taims11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB
    Huge thanks. Keep up the good work!

20. Khalil71

Khalil71 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980ti G1/6GB
    I have one of these cards and was having issues where OC GURU II was not displaying the LED section and the mode checkboxes under the GPU clock section. Solution was to download a copy of Gigabytes site and install as admin.

My Firestrike Extreme score, i7-3770k @ stock,

(G1 Default: 1152 clocks)
    Graphics Score: 8739

(G1 OC GURU 2 OC Mode enabled 1190 clocks)
    Graphics: 9115

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.