GTX 780 Burned Help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ChatBR, Jun 12, 2015.

1. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Hello my friends.

I appreciate your time to read and help with my issue.
    I recently bought a GTX 780, PNY, stock bios and reference blower cooler.
    Installed it on a brand new system with a RM650 PSU.

Everything worked fine for a week until I heard something popping inside the case and a burnt smell.

Turned everything off and took carefully every component of the PC. The smell came from the GTX 780 and it seems like there is a burn mark near the C523 on the back of the PCB. Couldnt find any other burn marks anywhere.

Tried to turn the PC back on and nothing. Replaced the GPU with an older graphics and still nothing. The PSU also ended up dying.

I tried to install the GTX 780 in another healthy PC ( in second PCI-E slot ) to see if Windows would at least recognize the card but the computer refuses to boot up with the card installed.

I dont understand much about PCBs, so is there something that can be done? Or the 780 is dead for good?

I took the best pic I could of the burn mark but I can get any other pic of the PCB if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Burned-780-Link

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sounds like a mess.

If the 780 smells burnt and doesn't post in another rig... It's dead.

If the rig it was in won't power up and it fried your 780, there may be other damaged components aside from the PSU. :(

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Screenshot of it?

Possibly psu died and took the gpu with it

4. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    I just thought maybe there was some kind of fix that could be done.
    Seems sad that just a little piece of the whole PCB burned would make me throw it all away...

But yeah, the rig it was in works after changing both GPU and PSU. I dont mind changing the PSU, but the GPU costs way too much so I wont be able to replace anytime soon if I cant find a fix. Thats what makes me sad.

5. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Probably.
    There is a link in the end of the original post for the GPU's PCB.
    The PSU looks perfect on the outside, and I wouldnt dare open it anyway.
    The expensive part for me is the GPU so thats why I am trying to find a fix instead of replacing, since I couldnt afford to do it anytime soon.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Reinstall your drivers, usually fixes it. Just make sure to check mark "repair burn marks".

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ Very "helpful" advice, and nice way to raise your post count...

Most likely...

OP, no doubt there is SMD capacitor missing/burned on position C523. Take that 780 to some local well equiped electronic repair shop, let them check the rest of the PCB, to check the value of that nearby C525, and to solder similar or identical SMD capacitor to C523. Cross your fingers that just missing/burned C523 is the cause, but... But I have a feeling something else on PCB is also damaged and it caused just C523 to get burned, burned C523 is just a result, not the cause... Probably VRM on the other side of PCB gets damaged. According to this picture that PNY GTX780 you have is using NVidia's GTX780 reference PCB:
    [​IMG]

...and VRM is exactly on the opposite side of PCB for sure. My bet is something else inside VRM section is also damaged and it burned that C523, just changing C523 probably won't do anything.

This is how it looks when damaged VRM section on reference 780 burns C523 and much more around it:

[​IMG]

So... Let them take a good look on VRM section, I'm 100% sure something inside VRM is damaged.

8. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    u are from Brasil right ? Try Sending a mail to your "Hardware Yoda" Ronaldo Buassali maybe he can help you.
    Milojko +1

9. ChatBR

ChatBR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Thank you for your time to explain what might have happened.
    I will try to take the stock cooler out tonight and check the PCB on the other side
    I dont really know any stores of that kind around here but I will try to contact Buassali like Lexer98 said. He probably knows where I can seek help and I will come update the post when possible.

Thank you both for the amazing help.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    RMA the card, I would not put that card in any working pc imo.

11. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    If the local warraty is expired. Sending the card back to USA is really expensive in countrys like Brasil or Argentina

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Alright guy, relax. It was a joke, lighten up. And lol at post count...

In all honestly, as interesting as your information is, even if there is a chance that it could be repaired, you risk breaking another PSU (or worse) if and when it blows up again. As others have said, it simply boils down to RMA if you can, and if you can't suck it up and get a new GPU (I've been in that boat).

13. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  14. low351

low351 New Member

GPU:
    PNY 780GTX j
    Exact same card, exact same burn spot

My PNY 780 just burnt out last night in the exact same
    spot

I would post an image but the site won't let me, I haven't posted enough it seems.

Low.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    That really sucks, That is alot of money to come out of your pocket! I would be furious myself. I have seen a couple guys (Bake) there Video-card in a oven- I do not know what that does so dont go trying it unless you do some research,I hope your able to resolve it.

16. Nhirlathothep

Nhirlathothep Guest

GPU:
    Many GPUs
    no, the oven-trick is not related to this kind of problem.
    i saved 2 gpus with it, but it s a different problem (solder)

17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thanks for correcting me on that,I knew it had something to do with the PCB but was not sure exactly what. Regardless I hope this guy can fix that 780 somehow.My personal opinion on Hardware i general if you can....Always purchase some type of extended coverage.I get the Micro center 1 to 2 year deal whenever I buy something,for 10 dollars its worth it.