The Witcher 3 Best Performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Raziael, May 19, 2015.

1. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    R9 290X being almost equal to 780 SLI is pretty good. Shame on Nvidia for failing to optimise Kepler more like, or epically gimping it in regards to hardware tessellation.

2. TestDrivers

TestDrivers Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G
    The texture pop in is an engine problem, not drivers. I think it got a lot worse with the 1.04 patch (or was it 1.03?).

I just have flickering in menus (Character screen, bartering (the items marked with red, those the vendor wont buy flickers) now with the 15.5, hope that will be fixed as it is quite bad.
    I minimized the stuttering with vsync and framelimiting via RTSS

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    If you can't see the difference between ultra and high foliage, you must be blind. The draw distance of foliage increases alot if you go from high to ultra. You will see the shadows of trees that are farther away and you will also see more detail on the foliage.

I have no idea how i can add my on screenshots, so i cannot show you the difference, but i have two screenshot in which you can see that there is in fact a huge difference.

I think that most people aren't concentrated on what's going in the distance. This is the reason that most people don't see any difference between high and ultra foliage.

There is also a slight difference between high and ultra shadows, but you are right, you won't really notice the difference while playing. In fact i would be suprised if someone could tell the difference between ultra and high shadows.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Upload to them to somewhere like http://tinypic.com/ and wrap them in a spoiler tag.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The first is a combination of the Crossfire profile and the game. The second is the way that the game chooses to load assets, the driver has no say in that.
    Keep in mind that Kepler SLI users have problems too, including vertical white lines and other similar artifacts. The game doesn't look to be so multi-gpu friendly.

What is not absurd is that without GameWorks on, my 7970 is 2fps away from a Titan, thank you very much :D

The difference is there, to be sure. I'm just not sure it is that pronounced between Ultra and High. I prefer to play with HairWorks and HBAO+ on, and the foliage distance on High, instead of the hair and HBAO+ on off and the foliage distance to max.
    NVIDIA's performance guide for the game has some nice interactive screenshots. As you can see, the differences are not as near as dramatic.

Ultra vs High 1
    Ultra vs High 2
    Ultra vs High 3
    Ultra vs High 4

The performance hit is too great to justify the visual difference of maybe having some trees producing more natural shadows in the very far distance. On the other hand, if you can really see it and it matters so much, I digress.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The difference is very noticeable but is it worth it? Only you know! :)

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Did you check out the pics? I'm starting to believe I'm either blind or crazy (I actually mean it, am I missing something?)

: S

(I can see the bit of shadowing in the trees, or the more "debris-like" detail in the depth, but that's not "great". High to Medium is much more pronounced for example).

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Of course I checked the pictures :)

Most noticeable here I think: http://international.download.nvidi...y-interactive-comparison-3-ultra-vs-high.html

I've already got folliage/shadows on Medium so what do I care :D

9. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Yeah that is surely the 2nd thing to tone down (after shadows) - w3 is no modded skyrim that provides some lifelike stuff to look on - just sit there in a valley being blown away by the view, better visuals up close totally beats some tree shadows in the distance.

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can see the differences, but to be honest I have stopped caring about differences in games where I have to stop and pull up a screenshot to check ;)
    (Although to each his own)
    The wind mechanics the AMOUNT of stuff around that are visible make Skyrim feel like the poor cousin in the party :D

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    What those pics don't show is the fact that the draw distance of shadows is very low at high foliage. It's so dramatic that if you stand on one side of a big river, you don't see shadows on the other side of the river. Shadows literally appear out of thin air if you come close.

Ultra foliage feels less blend compared to high foliage. Of course it has a big performance hit and yeah, this would be one of the first settings i would set to high (well nvidia sh*tworks is the first thing i turned off) to get more fps.

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I thought it said 290x was almost equal to a single 780 and almost flipped out.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nah. If you actually see the performance charts AMD cards are performing REALLY well without HairWorks. The 290 is a bit faster than the 780Ti

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yes I did see the chart, I just misread it.

15. tinchotin

tinchotin Guest

GPU:
    280x 3gb
    It's very easy to see the difference while you are running or mounting roach, vegetation popping in 10 meters away, and trees popping in 50 meters away. You go from looking nice to OMG I'm inside the witcher's world and it's beautiful.

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    I agree but depends on what you play..some sites show it lower others show it higher then the 780TI.. 290x cheaper for sure.. awesome card

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  17. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    So I've been looking up tweaks for the game. And there is a flood of suggestions for edits in the rendering.ini and such. But the most common change seems to be:

Code:
    TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000.f
    TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50.f

TerrainReadAheadDistance=200.0f
    Now, these are the default values, not the suggested changes for " Beyond Ultra " as I've understood it.
    Here are the tweaks, which are recommended quite often etc.

Code:
    TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=440000.f
    TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=70.f

TerrainReadAheadDistance=600.0f
    I have been playing with these tweaked settings for a good time now. And I have literally not felt nor seen any changes made. Are these tweaks and changes people post all around just placebo ?:3eyes:

Sources:
    https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/witcher-3-tips-tricks-performance/80663
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  18. dontpokethebear

dontpokethebear Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire 7950 3072mb
    I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what those custom ini's are for. Are they for maxing the game beyond Ultra, improving performance, or both?? For instance, If i use those configs apart from tessellation and draw distance configs would it improve performance and reduce stuttering?

19. Kurg

Kurg Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II
    I fix my issues with the game with AMD drivers 15.20-150522a and Realtek Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7529 Beta in win 10 Build 10130, no more bsod or artifacts :)

20. k0rtes

k0rtes Guest

GPU:
    AMD r9 280x x2
    I've actually recorded flickering I have with 1.05 patch. I've tried turning aa off and on, playing witch vsync, different shadows settings and so on. Nothing helps. It's the same with 15.5 beta and 1038.