Receiver with analog 7.1 input where to find?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Mr_Alexander, Oct 22, 2013.

1. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    It needs to be VGA to HDMI with an external power source such as USB.

I'm using clone right now on my PC. Only the resolution needs to match, not the refresh rate. My ROG Swift is 2560x1440@144 Hz and my receiver is 2560x1440@24 Hz with a custom resolution. I can clone them and the monitor runs at 144 Hz with all functionality (G-SYNC, 3D Vision).

You may need to add a custom resolution of 4K 24 Hz using CRU before it will work.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  3. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
  4. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI

5. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    By clone I mean throw out your sound card completely and plug both monitor and receiver into the GPU. Then you can clone them at 4K 60 Hz and 4K 24 Hz.

The converters only work in one direction. It has to be VGA to HDMI and the power has to be external. Still, you're wasting your time with that obsolete card. Just get rid of it.

Whatever benefit you think the X-Fi has is no longer valid. It's degrading your system's performance and stability and has other issues like the receiver constantly reverting to stereo mode from 5.1 when changing resolution etc. and the settings not saving.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Ah ok. I get what you are saying about cloning now. I will try that.

As for the VGA convertor is the last one I posted not one way external powered one? Would you mind linking me to one what would work?

7. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    The second one seems okay. Try to get something with USB power so you can just plug it into the PC. Whether it generates a signal without a VGA connection is still unknown.

8. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    OK clone method isn't going to work for me. I actually have only one HDMI port on my video card. What I have going into my sound card is an DVI to HDMI cable. I have a display port out if that would help me.

How can I tell if a VGA to HDMI convertor will generate a single with something plugged into the VGA side?

9. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Just use a DVI to HDMI cable for the AVR. The GPU will generate an actual HDMI signal even on the DVI port (It won't be restricted to single-link DVI resolutions.).

You can't tell without buying the adapter. I suggest you forget about it. The X-Fi HTHD is a waste of time and god knows if it'll even work on Windows 10. It's already buggy on Windows 8.1.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    So DVI out of the video card to the TV for picture and HDMI out of the video card into the receiver for sound. I'll still get 4k@60, 1080@120 and all that other fun HDMI 2.0 stuff?

Do I need a dual link DVI to HDMI cable to do this. I had a single link DVI to HDMI cable I tried a while back and it didn't seem to do the trick.

11. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    DVI to HDMI is always single link since HDMI-A is single link. It's identical to a HDMI to HDMI cable when used with a GPU that can generate both signals. Only HDMI to DVI is restricted due to the receiving end only getting single link DVI. It doesn't matter which you connect to the receiver or TV if the end point is HDMI.

12. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    I pulled out that old DVI to HDMI cable and its working. I have 4K@60 and 1080@120 in clone mode with audio coming out of my receiver. I still need to check my bluray player software to make sure I can still can DTS-HD and all that in in undownconverted 24bit audio. Now, the reason I was keeping my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD was because I have a lot of older PC games that use EAX audio. The X-Fi being a Creative bases sound card was able to play these old games in full surround using Creative Alchemy. Is there a way I’ll be able to preserve the EAX sound using my Nvida card to process audio?

13. LocutusEstBorg

LocutusEstBorg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Pay $30 and buy X-Fi MB3 to get EAX 5 over HDMI. The disadvantage of this is you'll need to manually change the playback device for bitstreaming to the HDMI device since X-Fi MB3 creates a virtual playback device.

14. uVSthem

uVSthem Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 SLI
    Yeah, found that during a google search earlier. Was looking into if it would work with the Nvidia card. I guess I know my answer now. Thanks for the help.