XFX's R9 390X - R9 290X GPU core, 8GB vRAM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Extraordinary, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't spit at anything AMD do, I just say what I see, I moved from AMD for a reason and don't regret it

I had many years of great AMD use, but once I moved over to NVIDIA I realised what a difference there was, I just speak from experience

If AMD release Fury, and it whips NVIDIAs a$$, I`ll be extremely happy (Much nicer company IMO)

Im not a fanboy of either company, I am a fanboy of the best performance I can get

I'd be more than happy to move back to AMD if they pulled something amazing out of the bag :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You all still seem to miss the point.

Well nvidia makes new chips, but Amd made GCN a future proof chip that can be reused with just minimal touches and more cores. That's why all GCN gpus are more dx12 then nvidia Fermi, Kepler.

390X, isn't 290X literally. If it were then it didnt have better efficiency and higher speeds, maybe even that new color compression.

FijiXT is still same old GCN just with more cores and improved chip structure, improved compression, bigger registers, more cache, etc.. Nvidia reuses old technology too, there are still some G80 bits in there now -Gigathread, Polymorph engine, dCompression, etc all improved of course..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've got absolutely nothing against AMD, nothing

My only 'thing' is this:

I had a 290, it was great, I thought
    Then I had a 295X2, it wasn't

Then I got the 980, and everything the two above GPUs could do, the 980 could do better (Other than the odd CF game that worked), and everything the two above GPUs couldn't do, the 980 could do

I am an open book, I am not one sided at all, I just say what I see

I am an NVIDIA n00b if you like, this being my first and only decent NVIDIA card, Ive been AMD my whole PC life

From what I've seen, this card can do everything AMD cards can do, and when it gets to the games AMD struggles with, this card has no issues

It's almost as if:

AMD = AMD games capable
    NVIDIA = AMD & NVIDIA games capable

I want to be able to play both

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im just saying in general at this point,

You can't change much in a chip if its already good, but you can always fix voltage/heat/power issues by improving its design, for example 390X or even add new mini feature here and there (higher dx12 capability, 285X vram compression,..).

Nothing personal,
    So you made conclusions based with your 295X experience, 390X is bad because is has similar base as 295X2 or 290X?
    I saw no dual chip driver is perfect. :)

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Yeah...Just like they are keeping Intel in check.
    They aren't that important to me since they haven't done anything impressive CPU-wise in like 10+years, and now it feels like their GPU division is stalling out in a similar manner.
    They make products I can afford, but don't even want...

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    290 should've been a good card, no $hit your 980 was better than anything else, no crossfire/sli and smashes that 290. :D

The experience was bound to be positive, but I understand you on the AMD/NVIDIA game point though, though isn't it the same for some.. perhaps, AMD games? I don't think so actually since nvidia cards work good anyways with amd titles too.. :) Just where AMD might struggle are those gameworks titles. Though... in single card, I see absolutely no ****ing difference.. except nvidia has taken the performance crown right now with their Ti... but nvidia have never been good on the value side, it's where AMD shines and where ppl with a lesser budget tend to go to.

If that Ti were 550€ I'd might consider it. Just more than that is too much for me, and tbh stupid to play for a ****ing computer part.. :D (But if you got the money then what the heck.... might as well splash it on crap rofl...)

Anyways.... with your 295x2, you were bound to have a crap experience too.. but wtf, you got it for free so wtf? Who's to whine you know. :D Who's to blame.

But yeah.. your experience was bound to be positive anyways so.. :D I mean it was a given.

7. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    i hope AMD dissapear from the gamer marked.
    Nvidia destroyed the PC-Gaming with the Gameworks and shader sabotage. Doesnt matter how strong hardware they build it with software Nvidia just rip of AMD. Myself just buy a Nvidia card so you can´t call me fanboy.

AMD still have future.

Server:
    They just need a apu which can handle java, asp, php, sql and they can overtake the Webserver market with small arm opteron based apu which use ultra low power.

Consoles:
    Still have a marked for Consoles, i wish Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo take something stronger next time and not the weakest **** as possible like PS4 and XBone.

Sell Licence for GPU Unit:
    Mediatek, ARM, Snapdragon and Intel could use it for Tablets and Mobiles.

Yes PC Gaming is doomed after then because Nvidia will rip off PC Gamers with disturbed prices, but who cares?
    PC Gaming is a platform for cheater
    PS4 have already 4x more players on Battlefield Hardline as on PC (not just Hardline) and they take all good games exclusivly. Rumours says even Dark Souls 3 only comes for Consoles.

In this way AMD have his market and PC Gaming turn to enthusiasts market for people with a ass load of money... if some games release there.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You really want a monopoly in gpu market?

Nothing wrong with AMD performance atm, 290x/290/280x/280 are all trading blows with their nVidia counterparts, if not on top of them.

9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I've just been looking at some 290X benchmarks, and your quite right, the 290X really isn't that far behind the 980, and costs on average half what a 980 costs. If the 390X is 15% faster than a 290X it'll be faster than a 980 in most benchies I think.

Also, not 100% sure a monopoly in the GPU market is as bad as people think, not saying its a good idea, but supercomputers are needing an GPU upgrade, there still running Kepler and Maxwell doesn't do DP does it? So Pascal is really needed as those supercomputer guys are always wanting more and more FLOPS so Nvidia can sell tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of those GPUs to the supercomputer guys. Probably a reason why big Pascal is coming first!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

All I see is people crying that Nvidia which spends a hundred million more than AMD in research and development per quarter for GPU and GPU related products is doing so well and spending some of that money developing new ways to boost graphic fidelity.

R&D:
    AMD = $240 million USD last quarter
    Nvidia = $339 million USD last quarter

And AMD have to split that investment into their CPU and related products. Nvidia have a single architecture that starts in their lowest product (Tegra X1) to their highest (Tesla), with slight variations in between.

This is why Nvidia made a net income of $134 million USD last quarter, while AMD lost $180 million USD. One actually knows how to operate efficiently.

11. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    So you mean proprietary technologies saves PC Gaming?

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why does PC Gaming need to be "saved"?

And it's not like the damn game won't run for AMD users, it's just that the specific effects that Nvidia INVESTED money and resources to develop and push support with devs won't be available or won't run well on AMD cards because AMD doesn't see fit (as is their right) to invest in those same areas.

The game will still work fine and run great. Don't like the reality, then start writing letters to AMD asking them to invest money into their software support so that their games can look better. Asking another company to give away entire software platforms to the competition (like what AMD users are asking of Nvidia) is retarded.

How much money did Mantle make AMD? How much did it influence the industry in AMD's favor? Now how much does Nvidia's Gamework's improve Nvidia's product over AMD's offering and make me want to buy it? (answer: a lot).

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The word refresh does seem to create panic, but i don't think AMD would release this 390x unless it's a good bit better than the 290x, and a it wouldn't take AMD a huge amount of effort to take it past the 980 alot of the time.
    I don't think it's a particularly advanced chip like some people are trying to claim, but it's not a bad one either so no reason why a refresh is the end of the world.

The refresh means lower costs for AMD, which they can pass onto the consumers not in the market for a Titan/Fiji card.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk how many before me said it, but it is since the beginning, well at least directX and compute capability, Nvidia now outmatched it with Maxwell and higher dx12_1 tier.
    If you check final words he mentions Nv Fermi started it and Amd followed 1year later with GCN (7000 series).
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4455/amds-graphics-core-next-preview-amd-architects-for-compute/3

whole thread
    https://community.amd.com/thread/170284

The only thing holding GCN back is slower dx11 API calls driver part in more cpu bound games (its not efficient enough), nvidia literally doubled it in dx11 by both multi and single threaded parts.

16. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Does that all destroy PC gaming?
    I see 2 options Microsoft easy could fix this easy, like they did with Creative EAX some years ago.

1. Simply make license similar to WHQL for Games, if this game don´t keep 100% of directx and direct compute it won´t run on Windows. In the same time Microsoft must open Directx for all. This will solve all problems. Yeah in this way Microsoft get a ass load of Money, but its worth.

2. Make Xbox One games Cross Platform and let the games run at Windows 10, the only thing you can change is the resolution with extra downloadable texture packs. That will solve all problems, too.

Otherwise Nvidia taking advantage of their monopoly year by year more and more and AMD never can keep up, doesn´t matter how strong GPUs they build.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  18. elpsychodiablo

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
  19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's an insane logic to look at total PC numbers and try to compare them to specialized units (either consoles or gaming PC's). By that logic, I can say that there are billions of cars out there, but only a few million go from 0-100 in less then a few seconds therefore the racing industry needs to be saved.

And who are you to call WoW, Minecraft, etc., "crap games". Obviously they are not crap if so many people like them and play them; they might not be what YOU like.

And the changing numbers are nothing new. Desktop PC's in general are becoming more niche in the age of mobile. Either evolve (as in Nvidia GRID, Steambox, etc.) or die.

The game works, AMD users just try to turn on effects that AMD didn't bother investing resources to optimize for and then get punished for it. And of course Nvidia sponsored effects will aim to run on the parts of the card that Nvidia is really good at, such as the tessellated parts. If AMD bothers to invest a damn dime into software then they can optimize their TressFX, etc. to take advantage of AMD card's strong areas.

You're complaining on one hand that PC gaming is dying, and on the other blasting a company investing in both software, support of software with devs (which includes the hardware to run on), etc. Make up your mind.

They can very well optimize games with gameworks, they just choose not to.

Mantle - That's my point, they invested money and resources in a software that got THEM nowhere. I'm sorry, open standards may sound nice, but not when they don't help you profit, and they definitely don't help with quality control. Otherwise that's stupid management and leads to where AMD is losing hundreds of millions each quarter.

20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    So what, the Fury pro and the X version will be shown for the first time on 6/16/15 correct?

When is the actual release date of the fury cards? September time frame?