Upgrading advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Piiote, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Piiote

Piiote Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 760 OC
    Hey, im planning on upgrading either my cpu or gpu, and I need to know what would give me a more noticeable increase in performance in gaming.

The gpu I currently have is a gtx 760, and my cpu is an i5 - 4430 3ghz
    the cpu I'd upgrade to is an i7 - 4790k 4ghz, and the gpu I'd get is a gtx 970.

So which one should I upgrade?

2. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    I don't really see a point in getting the GTX 970. Save up a bit more and get either the GTX 980 or the GTX 980 Ti. I also don't think your CPU is a big bottleneck. Upgrading to the 4790k would not be very beneficial, at least for gaming.

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    The CPU won't really matter depending on what you do with it. From performance perspective the GTX 970 would be the best, obviously. Assuming that you're gaming at 1080P you should be fine for a while but the 980 Ti wouldn't hurt either... They'll start dropping in price soon enough so it might be worth waiting. Same goes for the AMD side of the story, we know the 390X is just the old 290X with 8GB but the "Fury" might be something to look out for. If you want to upgrade now then get the GTX 970, excellent card and couldn't be happier (besides a Titan X of course ;) ).