Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. wunkley

wunkley Guest

GPU:
    780Ti SLI
    Also running Afterburner here. v 4.1.0.

Win 7 64

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Win 8.1 x64. MSI Afterburner 4.1.1

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have Dolby Home Theatre running as well, that program has to be closed before enabling or disabling SLI.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Thats weird. I have Windows 8.1 x64, and I use MSI Afterburner 4.1.1 as well plus Chrome with zero problems.. And I have SLI as well..

The 352.86 drivers used to crash on me in the Witcher 3, but since using the 353.xx drivers I haven't crashed at all.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Running PrecisionX version 5.3.5 here with no OC's on GPU or MEM. Using Win7 x64bit. Getting the "driver stopped responding" error with any driver greater than 350.12. I get error sometimes with no applications open but have noticed it using IE or Outlook 2013 and also sometimes when changing on screen resolution.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's not weird because it is not specific to MSI AB, it is just an attempt to guess the problem source. EVGA users are trying to blame EVGA Precision for the same issue:

http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2343546&fp=1

7. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Yeah actually, I'm under the impression that somewhere around the first DX12 driver branch (and GTA game ready drivers for stable) the drivers became somewhat unstable. I've never gotten TDRs on this particular card until the 352.xx branch. Granted I haven't gotten many TDRs regardless, but it's a concern nonetheless. Might be on mostly D3D11 titles, since I've played a lot of D3D9 stuff lately with no issues.

8. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Here's an odd thing. I was getting Display Driver Stopped Responding & Recovered on the Game Ready TW3 driver using Chrome so I rolled back to 350.12 and wasn't having any issues since then(also exported TW3 profile and imported into 350.12) with Chrome or games.

I tried playing TW3 today and it worked fine, then I tried it with Afterburner and alt tabbing outside caused the same balloon to show, this is on 350.12. This kept happening while I was outside the game but if I returned to the game, it played fine, no issues but as soon as I Alt-Tabbed, it started again, eventually"TDRs" continued every few seconds even after I closed every application until I simply restarted the PC, since then it's been running fine.

This has puzzled me even further because now it seems that driver alone is not the problem as what I've just reported was on 350.12 which was running smooth for days until today I tried MSI AB. Seems somehow Afterburner or maybe just the RTSS component tie into the crashing issue.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I am not attempting to blame your software in any way, if it came across like that I apologize, TBH my system is stable up to 350.12 driver running multiple versions of your software both evga and msi for years and riva tuner before that.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I also think its afterburner. I tried 353.06 with GTAV and AB running with a +165 on core and memory, crashed every 10 mins. Went back to 350.12, no issues. Reinstalled 353.06 today( weekends time to mess about ), running Fraps instead of AB, but used AB to set 165 core OC and 140 mem OC and been playing GTAV for the past hour, only delta is AB and 25 reduction in men OC( will try with 165OC just havnt had time yet )

@Unwinder - not trying to blame your software man just trying to get to the bottom of it, for me its either AB or 25mhz on mem OC,which has been fine since I got this card.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    What happens if you run stock speed vram 7000mhz?

12. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Also using MSI Afterburner + Windows 8.1

I was running the nvidia 347.88 drivers for awhile and have never had any problems, so I upgraded to the 353.06 and within about 1hr Chrome crashed with a driver has stopped responding. Making sure hardware acceleration was off, it crashed again with a driver has stopped responding. It would do it through youtube, on a forum, looking at a photo.

Upgraded to the 353.12 and I had lots of Driver has Stopped Responding while in chrome, but was worse was it also crashed while playing a number of games with the same problem.

347.88 and previous to that were faultless, however what ever you have done with the 353.X range is not at all good.

( Underclocked, Stock, Overclocked ) It doesn't matter which, at some point it will give you a driver has stopped responding :bang:

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Just been using 165 OC on mem and core the past hour with no AB looks OK so far, GTAV btw

Also forgot to mention, this time I only installed nvidia driver and physx, no Experience, 3D or audio

14. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
    Afterburner 4.1.1

I get this crash all the time. I see nVidia have been taking driver lessons from AMD. Would I lose much performance on Witcher 3 if I reverted drivers?

16. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Is there anyone crashing that isn't using MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision?

17. Shelledfade

Shelledfade Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I also have crashing in games with 352.86 and 353.06, however oddly not so much with chrome though.

The witcher 3 was unplayable with the newer drivers, it also crashes other games as well, sometimes with an irrecoverable black screen that required a manual restart. I switched back to 347.88 and the issue is mostly gone. Had 1 tdr in the witcher 3 yesterday with 347.88, other than that thought its been way more stable than the newer drivers. I'd experience at least 5 or 6 tdr crashes a day when trying to use the newer drivers in games.

I also use MSI afterburner. Had crashes with 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 which is what I'm using now.

I tried using precisionX 5.3.5 instead of msi afterburner but that didn't change the amount of TDR crashing I was getting in games. Tried using kboost mode in precisionx as well, but that didn't do anything either.

Also lowered stable overclocks by 50mhz on core and memory just to see if it was the oc, and still tdr crashed frequently.

~~~ Also manualG why does nvidia only seem interested in the google-chrome tdr's ? These newer drivers are crashing games badly as well or is that not a concern for nvidia?

Bit of an update on the background programs that I use:
    Razer synapse 2.0 -version 1.18
    Logitech gaming software versoin 8.58.183
    MSI afterburner 4.1.1
    Rivatuner Statistics server v6.3.0.7688
    Samsung magician

Other than that just bare-bones essentials.

18. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    @ManuelG

I can trigger it with EVGA Precision 4.2.1 when the polling time is set to < 4000ms. 4000ms sensor poll is pretty stable, I've had the odd TDR, but maybe 3 or 4 in the last week max. 3000ms gives TDR's pretty frequently.

GPU is GTX780, reference model standard reference clocks. OS is Windows 7 SP1.

I've had Outlook 2013 open when it triggered it, as well as Firefox on occasion. I did get a TDR not long after Windows ran it's weekly performance thingo too this morning.

19. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    350.12 & 347.88 no TDR & freeze issue but what happened to latest driver?? when u goin to fix manuelG? if u wanna avoid our question, y don't u leave nvidia company? i hope someone can replace u cos u're useless p***K!

20. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    [​IMG]