Static Shock can kill you PC hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kx11, Jun 3, 2015.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thought this was common knowledge, that's why we get anti-static wristbands, and at the least, earth yourself quickly before handling hardware by touching the chassis while still plugged in, or a radiator pipe etc

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    It's impossible just by touching the components with your hands. You can rub your feet on rugs or do whatever you want but the components today are far more durable to a mild static shock than they were 20 years ago when ppl had to wear these stupid wristbands. Zapping them with high voltages however is a different thing.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not impossible, just less likely then it used to be.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No it's not impossible, static is electricity, electricity can kill components

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah any veteran PC builder knows this. In some situations static electricity can damage hardware it will still function but act weird. When I was building a computer for my school project in a PC Management class I had to take for my major and my Professor touched my CPU on the top and I heard the static electricity sound and I was like omg there goes my CPU but my computer functioned with no issues fortunately. I was like thank god.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Lightning is static electricity, pretty sure that can kill components too lol

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You guys look like nerds wearing those static wristbands :)

Just be smart and ground yourself before touching components... common knowledge.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    My old boss in a repair shop bought some 'Wireless" anti-static wristbands

He showed me them, and they were indeed wireless, so I asked him how he thinks they are going to work wirelessly, but it turned out they were literally just the bands, no wires, had to buy them separately lol

The guy didn't know the difference between RAM and a CPU, no idea how he came to own a PC repair business

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I almost pointed out that this is common knowledge, but judging from some of the replies it's not as common as I first thought.

You can ground yourself just by tapping the inside of the PC case while building in it, the wrist bands aren't really necessary.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yup, anything that is grounded / Earthed will do, quick touch earths you

Only time not to do that, is when you are messing with live mains components, otherwise you become the route to earth, which is where electricity wants to go, so if you shock your left arm, and are grounded with your right arm, electricity will happily jump across your chest (Heart) and straight to earth

Not good for the human body

12. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i was always taught to grab your screw diver and rub the metal to neutralize and static in your hands before touching pc components.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I used to think this was bollocks until I had a few strange hardware failures. Now it's anti static wrist band or nothin'. Also remember to replace your wrist band every 2 years or so, as they do wear out eventually.

14. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I never had any issue with static electricity ... anyway in my house i don't have carpet, that s*** can charge you with static very easily

15. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Static discharge can also degrade components without immediately destroying them, this effect is more common.

I used to work in one of HP's factories as a procurement engineer, was very frustrating getting the shop floor workers to wear their anti static-gear. Every time I went down to inspect some faulty motherboards I'd see workers without. The majority of boards we RMA'd were damaged through poor handling practices.

16. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    I used to always see those wristbands and think "yeah right, that will never be useful" then I killed some brand new RAM with a static shock during a day when humidity was especially low. I always wear an anti-static band now, though usually an ankle band so the wire doesn't get in my way.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Screwdriver would have to be earthed/grounded for that to work

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    fwiw, static electricity is also created by air rushing into a vacuum cleaner hose which is why you should never ever use a vacuum cleaner on PC dust bunnies!

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hair dryer set to cold & soft paint brush for me

20. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Spray a little Static Guard on the vacuum hose before using on a PC works to prevent the static.

I turn the vac on and spray right into the open. I also do not make contact to anything inside the PC with the hose or extensions. And if any component needs a little help motivating the dust bunnies I use a horse hair brush.