Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    LMAO, Would you be a previously banned member? You seem to know a lot about me for just having 4 posts.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    ^His specs made me laugh.

You're the shill with your 780ti's and he's claiming to have four Titan X in his rig.

Clearly faked but no less ironic.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I complained a lot about drive 352.86. Guess I'm not doing my job right.

4. masterchan777

masterchan777 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC
    Since you'll be getting free 980Ti and Titan X, can I have your 780Ti SC? :nerd:

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, it's not. Your posts on the other hand do seem like trolling.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Shills do not give away hardware! But I have given away stuff on here before, game codes and some hardware.

7. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Poseidon 780 SLI
  8. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon

Well it would appear that your question has been answered. It was because of driver optimizations not because Kepler's architecture.

Seriously though you were the guy trying to argue that 780 ti is slower than a 970, give me a break.

How about this, prior to this driver both my gpus were at 100 percent usage, I was getting 60 to 70 fps. With this new driver I am getting 70 to 80 fps. The opening scene of the game I am hitting 100 to 120 fps, whereas before i was at 70 fps, that's with both gpu usage at 100 percent.

This is with "technology less suited for new workloads, with more compute, higher bandwidth requirements and heavier DX11+ usage." The only troll is you.

You want to know why I knew this was all nvidia's doing? Because witcher 3 doesn't look anything spectacular, especially compared to playing tomb raider 2013 all maxed with 2xssaa tressfx enabled in 3d gaming 60 fps.

Kepler may be a older architecture, but it sure is fast enough to be playing console ports. There hasn't been any games that have released that have the visual makeup for me to believe that a 780 ti can't play it.

(In my opinion)What happened was nvidia crippled kepler in order to make the 980 appear like an actual upgrade, when in fact its always been a side step. Now with the 980 ti being released they don't need to cripple kepler because the 980 ti is actually a faster card. Now Nvidia will push titan X and 980 ti. GTX 980 does not make sense anymore due to 980 ti being only 100 dollars more.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Kepler architecture rely on driver optimization. So you could say that it is down to Kepler architecture that it is performing worse without specific driver optimizations - and this was pretty much known on Kepler launch when they said that they moved scheduling to software which allowed them to save a lot of transistors. Nothing is free in this world. Same applies to Maxwell as well by the way.

I'll give you a break if you'll learn to read first, how about that?

Your opinion looks salty. It's no wonder that NV is spending time optimizing for Maxwell right now. In some cases the lack of optimization may show up on Kepler. And it's pretty clear that they won't optimize Kepler anymore since most of Kepler chips are already EOL. Maxwell is up against AMD's GPUs, not Kepler.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Poseidon 780 SLI
    GTX Titan-Z most powerful card in Witcher 3 / GTA 5 and 99% other games. And it is just Kepler :) he trolling again with his low-end crap) cuted maxwell not have a good performance with new games compare more powerfull cards (kepler), true - it is cuted maxwell have a cheating from nvidia with his hidden driver setting, cuted maxwell (970/980) have a some bad limited graphics, compare full graphics on kepler, and cuted maxwell got his fps. But, i record kepler sli video with witcher 3 maxedout 4K 30-35 fps, how many fps got 980/970 sli in this story, and how good his picture? Just if i look review i see 980sli have 30-35 fps, but its not OCed. And all about maxwell tesselation etc - it is just a merketing fake, if talking about it seriously, just look gameworks sdk - not have any kepler optimisation, more transistors more power, not long time ago.
    super translation :D
    check this out:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_review,25.html
    cuted maxwell ("cuted graphics optimise") compared kepler (true full graphics) with optimisations. maxwell not super ;)
    when AMD begin sales AMD Fiji - i go buy CrossFireX. Never buy cuted nvidia with cuted support.

11. SmashedBrain

SmashedBrain Guest

GPU:
    2x970@1500Mhz
    Have fun. Btw, there is no proper CF support for Witcher 3 yet.

Also, do u have a 4K monitor ? Otherwise, driver downsampling also doesn't work yet properly for AMD cards.

I switched very recently from 2x7970 to 2x970. Primarily because of better software support. Having no proper driver downsampling sucks if the game has no good anti-aliasing. And CF profiles were very often late for games published in the last 6 months, thereas NVIDIA often had decent SLI support on release day. DX11 draw call performance is also much worse for AMD drivers which can make a big difference in some games (e.g. pCars).

I wished AMD were more competitive for the benefit of all gamers. But their current hardware is too power hungry (=noisy) and their software lacks features and regular updates.

Performance of the 2x970s @ 1500Mhz (max boost) @ 4K + Hairworks is about 30-40fps (some dips to mid twenties in scenes with closeups of Geralds hair, lol).

One feature NVIDIA drivers should have (as AMD drivers offers) is the selectable tesselation factor. Lowering that would probably take care of the hairworks performance problems in Witcher 3.

12. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    A week of not being able to run crossfire without fullscreening was enough to put me off my AMD cards. **** that. Maximized windowed mode or gtfo. There are too many games that take too long to alt tab from fullscreen, don't alt tab gracefully or have other issues tabbing out, for me to want to deal with that **** again.

And yes I mention this anytime someone says IM GOING AMD because I would have never gone that route if I'd known this was the case. Who doesn't tab out of games these days?

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Coincidence that the Keplar fix was released the night before 980Ti launch so all the benchmarks released for 980Ti show it as a huge improvement over a 780Ti?

/Removes tin foil hat.

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    No need to show how big an improvement the 980 ti is, as it is an actual improvement over the 780 ti, unlike the 980, which needed to be artificially boosted to be better than the 780 ti.

Honestly, the 980 becomes completely irrelevant now.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    but the 980 has more vram, surely that counts.

Artificially boosted? The 980 is faster than the 780ti in pretty much ever game chart and every benchmark. You're talking out of your arse again.

16. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr
    Guys, I think it's trying to communicate :roll:

17. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    You probably should give him a break. He is obviously using Google translate and copying and pasting. What I don't get is why he is in a English speaking forum, when clearly its not his native language. Perhaps he is taking English classes and trying to learn. *shrug*

18. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    This thread needs to be locked.. its not going anywhere.

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    wanted to bump this thread, as a few friends and myself did some tests with the new unreal 4 game "The Park".

Looks like an OCed gtx970 is around 20 fps faster than an OCed gtx780.

Thought you guys might be interested in seeing that. make of it what you will :)

my gtx 970 1080p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my friends gtx 780 1080p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That's pretty much how it should be, from personal experience and speaking to people a 970 will overclock easier than a 780.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.