GTX 970 video playback issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by diamond-optic, May 29, 2015.

1. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    For a while now Ive been having problems watching videos with my 970. I'm pretty much at a point now where I am out of ideas as to what the issue is.

Basically, no matter what type of file or codecs im using, after usually a few minutes the video freezes up. Sometimes the player will just close down but thats not as common. Ive used MPC-HC, VLC, and WMP and the same thing happens with all of them. Ive also always used the klite codec pack and with or without it installed the same thing is happening (ive also tried numerous versions of the codec pack and a range of different settings). MPC-HC is the main player i use, and changing the settings hasnt helped any.. setting it to madvr, evr, or anything else makes no difference.

When this stuff happens, the video will freeze, but the audio keeps playing. The controls on the players also disappear, like the controls area will just turn all white or grey. Most of the time icons and stuff on the windows taskbar gets messed too. I can usually still control the volume with the mouse wheel so the player is still responding to a degree.

Ive tried quite a few different video drivers as well. And earliar today I uninstalled the drivers (DDU safe mode), put my old 460 in, reinstalled the same drivers (350.12) and everything worked completely fine. Uninstalled the drivers again, put my 970 back in, reinstalled drivers.. back to having the video playback issues... It happens on both HDMI or DVI to two different monitors. The only thing I have not tried is a reinstall of windows, but thats a bit extreme lol, though I do have an old 250gb hdd that I can move the contents of to another drive and do a fresh install on that, so that way if it makes no difference I dont have to bother with redoing my ssd install

I dont have any problems playing games.. gta v, bf4, war thunder, far cry 4, shadow of mordor, etc etc.. Its just videos, and ive tried a ton of different files and formats and its always the same thing..

I'm starting to think I might have no where left to go on this and will have to contact evga and see if an RMA is a solution. As I cant think of anything other then the card itself being the problem now. I really dont want to have to go through the rma process though.

Anyone ever experience something like this? or just any ideas of what I can try?

(and forgive me if theres a thread already about something like this, it was kind of hard to search for and after going through a ton of stuff I didnt feel like any of it was any help)

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Have you tried the GPU decoding option on VLC?

Making a test install of Windows on a separate HDD is a good idea.

3. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    the hardware accelerated decoding setting in vlc didnt make a difference no matter what i set it to (off/auto/dxva 2.0)

but now another wierd thing.. I was going to try and grab a quick video of what it looks like in MPC-HC when this all happens, so I was running fraps.. and oddly enough the issue never happened. And after some testing, it certainly seems to not happen if im running fraps and mpc-hc (it still happened with fraps & vlc). But when i close mpc and fraps, mpc still shows in the process list of the task manager and i have to end task manually.

im confused why it doesnt seem to be happening in mpc if fraps is running (doesnt have to be recording or anything.. just sitting in the tray)

4. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ventus OC
    Try to play videos with CPU integrated video. Remove cable from video card and pull it in motherboard HDMI output. Enable in bios integrated video and disable NVidia from windows device manager. Install Intel graphics driver and play a movie. If you will have the same issue, your 970 is ok.

5. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    Get rid of the klite codec pack! QuicKly! All codecs pack are causing a lot of problems. Why should you use that codec pack anyway? You have all the codecs you need in players(VLC,MPC-HC ,MPC-BE). having the same codec twice is always causing issues.

6. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    Hmm.. Ive been using the klite codecs for years now and have never had any issues with them until my 970. And since I use the MPC-HC bundled with the klite codec pack, I doubt they are doubling up the codecs

And idk, it seems hard to blame the codecs for the problem since I can swap back to my 460 and the problems go away..

and in response to the post before the previous one, I dont think switching to intel graphics will give any new info, its not really any different then switching to my old GPU and not having these problems..

Next weekend I plan on doing a fresh win7 install on another drive and see if that makes any difference.. I rather do it now but working long days all week doesnt give me enough time to do it. But I am still confused as to why there doesnt seem to be a problem playing videos if Fraps is sitting in the system tray..

*edit*

ok so i uninstalled the klite codec pack and put the standalone mpc-hc on.. now when the issue happens there is like a flash of another window for a second that then disappears... It shows up in the taskbar with the name 'crash reporter' but hovering over it just shows a blank window.. if i X out the window via the taskbar, another one comes up asking me if I want to send a bug report to mpc-hc (also, when this window [the one asking to send a report] opens, the video plays fine again but I cant access the controls in mpc-hc.. if i click to send the report or not to send it mpc closes down) ..but after clicking yes and looking at the webpage it opens it says:

Problem 134433: mpc_hc64!CDC::ExcludeClipRect

Dump group 308792 (1 dump, 1.7.9.0 - 1.7.9.0), mpc-hc64.exe (x64), Access Violation

mpc_hc64!CDC::ExcludeClipRect+0xd
    mpc_hc64!CChildView::OnEraseBkgnd+0x10f
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::OnWndMsg+0x386
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::WindowProc+0x38
    mpc_hc64!AfxCallWndProc+0x10f
    mpc_hc64!AfxWndProc+0x54
    user32!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x163
    user32!DispatchClientMessage+0xc3
    user32!_fnDWORD+0x2d
    ntdll!KiUserCallbackDispatcherContinue+0x0
    user32!ZwUserBeginPaint+0xa
    mpc_hc64!CPaintDC::CPaintDC+0x40
    mpc_hc64!CChildView::OnPaint+0x34
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::OnWndMsg+0x5c9
    mpc_hc64!AfxWndProc+0x54
    user32!_fnDWORD+0x2d
    user32!NtUserMessageCall+0xa
    user32!RealDefWindowProcWorker+0xa4
    user32!RealDefWindowProcW+0x5a
    uxtheme!DoMsgDefault+0x2a
    uxtheme!OnDwpSysCommand+0x50
    uxtheme!_ThemeDefWindowProc+0x209
    uxtheme!ThemeDefWindowProcW+0x11
    user32!DefWindowProcW+0xe6
    user32!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
    user32!CallWindowProcAorW+0xdc
    user32!CallWindowProcW+0x18
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::DefWindowProcW+0x74
    mpc_hc64!CFrameWnd::OnSysCommand+0xa8
    mpc_hc64!CMainFrame::OnSysCommand+0xa7
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::OnWndMsg+0x5bf
    mpc_hc64!CMainFrame::WindowProc+0x139
    mpc_hc64!AfxWndProc+0x54
    user32!_fnDWORD+0x2d
    user32!NtUserMessageCall+0xa
    user32!RealDefWindowProcWorker+0xa4
    user32!RealDefWindowProcW+0x5a
    uxtheme!DoMsgDefault+0x2a
    uxtheme!OnDwpNcLButtonDown+0x85
    uxtheme!_ThemeDefWindowProc+0x209
    uxtheme!ThemeDefWindowProcW+0x11
    user32!DefWindowProcW+0xe6
    user32!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x1ad
    user32!CallWindowProcAorW+0xdc
    user32!CallWindowProcW+0x18
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::DefWindowProcW+0x74
    mpc_hc64!CWnd::WindowProc+0x50
    mpc_hc64!CMainFrame::WindowProc+0x139

*edit2*

well its also happening without that error popup stuff sometimes.. and other times it happens then if I leave it with the video frozen and stuff the report popup happens a few minutes later... so clueless lol

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  7. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    omg i think i figured it out... and it surely seems to be something I should have tried a while ago but obviously im a dumbass lol..

seems to be evga precision..

if i close it down, videos seem to play totally fine.. OR if its running and the video problem happens, then I close down precision, the problem goes away.

I completely turned off the OSD earliar thinking maybe that was an issue even when its not being displayed.. but for some dumb reason i never tried closing the whole program

so for right now this seems to be the cause.. wierd that its fine with a 460 though

my apologies for being stupid if this does indeed resolve it lol

*edit*

and now if i google mpc & evga precision I get some hits of people having the same problem.. ughh i wish at least one of those showed up on any of my previous searches

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  8. Spitfire7

Spitfire7 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 FTW+
    Diamond-optic, I just upgraded from a GTX 260 now to the GTX 970 and I am having the same issues you were talking about. I need help. I read through this and I am seeing the issue still occurs even when I don't have Precision X16 running. I am using WMP and VLC and it happens for both. Any more updates?

My problems are this:

-WMP and VLC lock up, black screen, flicker and flash, automatically window themselves, the bottom windows bar becomes distorted and reacts to the mouse cursor with flickering and flashing.

-Text on the internet will ghost effect, duplicate the text behind it as a shadow, with visually vibrate and flicker.

-COD Ghost seems to have a blur like ghosting effect only when moving.

I am using my VIZIO 55" TV with HDMI hookups.

I thought my card might be bad so I RMA'd it only to find a brand new card is doing the same issue. Please help. I will be waiting.

9. Spitfire7

Spitfire7 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 FTW+
    I think I figured this weird very odd problem out. It was similar to yours, but I had one more factory that wasn't allowing mine to work until now. I just spent an hour on the phone with EVGA to no avail. They pretty much had me install really old drivers and still we were seeing the problem. They had no idea and even when escalated the higher up tech still couldn't figure it out. We did a full uninstall diver cleaner too. I hung up frustrated with a prayer and persistence I just started messing with everything. I opened WMP and played the video. Same thing happened. I closed and disabled the WMP codec that comes up that I installed a long long time ago which worked fine on them GTX260. I also noticed at this time that Precision X16 tool wasn't open either. I opened up the WMP video and I absolutely could not get the issue to come back. It worked, but what worked, how did I fix it? I waiting and waited and opened and closed and no issues. I opened Precision X tool and within 15 seconds big problem. I restarted the computer to now narrow down these two programs. I turned off Precision X and only had the video play with the codecs that automatically come up. Problem happened again. I closed the codecs and only had Precision X and the video open and the problem happened again. I then uninstalled the codes and turned off Precision X16 and restarted. It worked, no issues at all. I can't get the problem to come back. What the heck!!!! WOW, you have no idea how good it feels to have found this needle in the haystack. So no one on here, no one at EVGA, and no one on the internet has had this same issue to this extent before? This is that rare where only you and a few others have run into this? Weird. Well let this be the first of threads to have fully fixed this issue. Prayer really does work. I sure wish I did that a long time ago. Thank God because moments after my prayer it was fixed. Ask the good Lord and you shall receive. Thanks and thank you all for helping with this.

Do you have a new tool that gives us fan and overclocking control that will not cause these issues?