Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    GK110 packs a lot of dedicated GPGPU logic that has no use in the consumer applications. The Maxwell line is more geared toward graphics and spends the majority of it's resources for precisely that.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sure, but I'm saying that if the game runs bad on a rig, it won't run much better than that, there's no magic driver. At 4k, the 780ti is 4fps slower than the 970, I reckon they will get the 780ti performance up to 970 level with this driver, so that's an extra 4fps. At 1440p the difference is 10 fps though, which is more promising.

In all fairness, the 780ti should be faster than the 970 in TW3, where the vram usage is a non issue even on 2gb cards.

Still, I'm curious to see what exactly happens with Kepler after this driver comes out. I just wouldn't expect any miracles. A few fps extra, yes.

970 is easily the faster card out of the 2 :)

3. Dcrawler

Dcrawler Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 680sli Hydro(s)
    I think it would depend on what the exact problems are don't you? after all, we've been told "a couple of issues", but nothing specific. will be really interesting to see how the maxwell scales once the pascal cards are out.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's nice to want things.
    The truth is that 970 is faster than 780Ti most of the time.
    You can't convert transistor counts into performance and expect anything from this.

Honestly, the whining is getting ridiculous.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Increased performance from a driver is always welcome, especially one dedicated for your cards architecture. If anything, I'd like to see a few extra fps on the minimum so I can lower the overclock during the hot summer months.

I have a feeling, once this driver is released and the numbers are out, a lot of the same people will continue to cry foul..

6. cesaroco

cesaroco Guest

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD7970
    Yup, its really nice to want things...
    The truth is that it isn't...
    As someone posting on a technology forum, you should start viewing their reviews...

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Says a 970 owner who's card isint even as good as a 780Ti, why are you even posting here?

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    780 is what I meant to say there, sorry.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Isnt this just the 980ti release driver?

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    no, it contain the fixes for kepler, that what manuel said and it mentioned in the PDF.

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  13. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    If anything, if you want to convert transistor count into theoretical performance, less is faster, not the other way around.

14. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    If :whip: is all it takes for them to do something then so be it.

Soooo damn dodgy but makes perfect sense from an evil corporation point of view.

Sure this is now the end of such shenanigans.. riiiiight

15. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    I play Witcher 3 on a GTX 770 and honestly my performance isn't that bad. I did have to lower my settings, but the game is just freakin' fantastic. The new drivers to fix performance issues will be welcome though, possibly can turn some settings up a bit more.

16. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    This is sort of amazing. My frame rate increase to at least 10 to 20 fps at least. Some scenes the increase is close to 40 fps.

My frame rate before in the open world with everything on ultra and on, I was getting 60 to 70 fps.

Now i am getting 79 to 85 fps. Close up scenes to Geralts hair would drop down to 55 now Its at 65 70. The most intense scenes where it would drop to 45 fps, stays at 60 fps.

This is confirmation that Kepler was getting screwed, for all those naysayers. Now i am getting a frame rate comparable to 980s in sli. This is using the "old tech", you know the tech that loses to a 970. Please. So many stupid people posting crap.

17. deathroned

deathroned Guest

GPU:
    The likes of Tk are nvidia shills they were promised 980ti's and titan x's to shill for nvidia and do damage control.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol. You really think a Kepler owner reporting that he's not having any problems is indicative of him being a shill? Seriously now? Stellar logic. He even admitted something was wrong when it came to Witcher 3.

19. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    well, at least mine improved, i only play at 30fps lock on my lowly card and there are still areas that bring my fps down to 23-25fps (particularly crossroad inn in velen). Now its gone and have some performance to spare.

20. zoomer-fodder

zoomer-fodder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Poseidon 780 SLI
    it is trolling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.