KB3035583 update crashes AMD driver.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by testooo, May 16, 2015.

1. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    Hello,

I've reciecned an update from windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

and suddenly funny lines on the screen started to show more like corrupted hardware, but when I rebooted in safe mode, the screen was just ok. so uninstalled (DDU) amd 15.4 driver, and went back to normal start up, it seems the issue has gone, furthermore I tried to install the driver again and the windows rebooted in the middle of AMD setup.

I don't know what was the cause, but do you think the windows update has something to do with this?.

please can someone shed some light about this ... !!!

spec: win 8.1 pro (64)

cheers

2. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Remove the KB3035583 update and see if the problem goes away. BTW, that is an optional update. I have it installed and I have no problems (am on 8.1 pro x64 too).

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Lines all over the screen with graphic drivers installed, crashes with drivers means only one thing: cracked bga solder joints between GPU and PCB on that HD 5650, probably because if OC and higher GPU temperatures while OCing GPU. It has nothing to do with that Windows Update you are talking aboutr, nothing more than coincidence.

Most of people will recommend you to bake that HD 5650 in oven, but my vote goes to GPU reflow with let's say some nice heat gun. Try to find here on Guru3D forum few of my posts where I'm talking about propper GPU reflow procedure with heat gun. If you can't fint it I'm gonna do that for you few hours from now.

4. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    I agree with you its may be the GPU joint, as I was playing bf4 that crash happened, BSOD with an error video tdr failure atikmpag.sys.

now I am runing windows on vga driver. as I can't install any driver.

I've tested also VGA and HDMI connection they both dead,

do you think I can do the reflow with a hair dryer ? also can you point out where I can find a tutorial or a video for doing that .

cheers

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It could vary between models, but most standard hair dryers don't reach high-enough temps for reflowing.

Heatguns are the usual tool for reflows though (can pick-up a cheap one for like $20). Can use a household oven too (I had success with this by baking my friend's laptop motherboard back to life :p).

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
  7. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    Thanks all

@CrazY_Milojko

I'll try to read everything, and let you know as soon the mission accomplish.

cheers mate

8. testooo

testooo Guest

GPU:
    HD5650 / OC
    actually after a long research, I've decided to go with the oven method as many people rate it more.

so I did the baking method, and now I am typing from the same computer with everything works so perfect.

what I did:

I left the motherboard for 7 min on 200C in the oven, and then left the whole thing to cool down for 20 min.

I've tested everything so far nothing damaged or malfunction.

cheers all above ...