Nvidia forces Eidos to pull Tomb Raider Patch

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by reever, Sep 16, 2003.

1. reever

reever Master Guru

GPU:
    9700 Pro softmod
    Funny, this is a TWIMTBP game, runs bad on Nvidia hardware, yet they say they pull the patch because it was not supposed to be released and is being used as a benchmark, but then go out to explicitly state that AOD performs especially well on Nvidia hardware? Makes you wonder the real reason they pulled the patch

2. Twinke Masta

Twinke Masta Guest

Who likes Tomb Raider, seriously, i dont neither does millions of others, so Tomb Raider is not important, but the girl is hot though

3. reever

reever Master Guru

GPU:
    9700 Pro softmod
    Technology used in games is almost universal. How exactly does the quality of the gameplay have to do with performance when the features used in the games which determine performance, are used in MULTIPLE other games?

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Each game has its own game engine, or games of the same kind might share a common, slightly modified engine. (Quake, Unreal engine , :wink: )
    Half life uses theQuake2 engine for example. But valve modified it and added its own enchansements. (Well i think Half Life looks better than Quake2)
    Its up to the games developer if they are going to go totally on the API's way of doing stuff, or if they are going to add some of those GL_nV_XXX or D3D optimisation code when it detects a certain card. (ATi has its own code that can only be used on ATi cards and so you need a kind of emulator for that.)

Not a programmer yet though :D

5. Fat Drew

Fat Drew Guest

Wheres it say Nvidia forced them to pull the patch. I don't see that part of the statement. Can you show me?

6. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    That was a very stupid thing to say. First is that THAT game sells A LOT. Second is that we are here to discuss the reasons that took EIDOS to delete the patch, not because the game is better or worse, but because nVidia is getting chewed up and doesn't want ATI to leave them like idiots. The reason nVidia doesn't like this bench in particular is that this Tomb Raider was nVidia's "way to be played" and the patch showed that ATI played it better, and the fact that THIS game is pure dx9 makes it an even bigger problem for nVidia, because it shows what other future games will perform with both ATI and nVidia. If someone knows a little spanish: "A nVidia le da envidia como tira ATI."

7. Djuice

Djuice Guest

it not about tomb raider.... It about PS2.0 and the way nvidia cards utilizes it... Nvidia has a large control over the gaming market as the majority of vid holders uses nvidia cards... giving nvidia a large amount of power to control what companies want...... Therefore game companies must optimize their gaming engine just for the Crappy cards the nvidia pulls out of the ass....

8. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Ahh another Gamersdepot piece of anti NV propaganda..
    And no it doesnt anywhere in that quote say that Nvidia made them pull the Patch, but the little commentary that the wonderful people at GD put before it "NVIDA's Money Lures EIDOS To Pull Patch" (great spelling btw) is a little accusatory in nature <cough> I can't take anything these hacks report on seriously, because the bias they exude is overwhelming, though i'm sure certain people will eat up their articles without question....Lemmings!

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Hey... well even if it's not something that they have proved... I think it's something that anyone would call "common sence". nVidia did pay a lot of money to EIDOS to make Tomb Raider and nVidia's cards "the way games are ment to be played", so anyone that has read the whole article about EIDOS removing the patch (other articles are in more than one place... like the very respected "The Tech Report" web page) knows that it TOO abvious that nVidia has played a VERY big roll on that decision, maybe not money... but politics, and politics indirectly means more MONEY.

10. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  11. ZoinKs!

ZoinKs! Guest

This is such a strange turn of events, I'm having a hard time believing it. I wouldn't put it past nVidia to do something like that, though. I'd like to hear some more sources...

12. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Exactly, It's not beyond NV's antics, I just would like to hear it confirmed by more than one website (I use that term loosely in GamersDepot's case).

Everyone's so eager to jump on the bandwagon lately, quoting the same site, while not questioning the source, and in my book it makes for shoddy journalism, but hey they all want hits.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  13. Fat Drew

Fat Drew Guest

That same argument could be applied to ATI and Valve and their close relationship.