Kingston SSD with low Benchmarks

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tinchomey, Apr 26, 2014.

1. tinchomey

tinchomey Guest

GPU:
    HD Radeon 6950
    Hi! first sorry for my english. Im from Argentina

I just have bought a Kingston 120GB V300 SSD. I have low numbers in AS SSD Benchmark 1.7: check it out

i59.tinypic.com/160xw14.png

I saw some pictures from the same SSD disks (120 gb V300 kingston) that have better numbers
    I had activated AHCI with Windows 7 installed (I forgot to change it when I format my computer) I just change the settings in the registry and then I change it in the BIOS (I'd followed a guide on the internet)

so... Thanks for read :)

2. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Return that drive as fast as possible. Shame on Kingston for doing what they did.

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yup, that drive is affordable... but for a reason.

Return it and go for Samsung or Intel.

5. tinchomey

tinchomey Guest

GPU:
    HD Radeon 6950
    The merchant don't sell anything like this for this price.. I can't change this.

What a luck... I can't do anything to save some speed? 300 points is too low compared to other tests...

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Burn in hell for this Kingston, not cool keeping the same model number.

7. MaeClark0318

MaeClark0318 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/O
    still think intel doing better with SSD though
    not saying Kingstone is bad, but if you may want to try with Intel

8. shagularpus

shagularpus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950ssc
    I have 2 of these. Fortunately I got them both early enough that they have the original NAND and v.505 firmware.:) They are both fast at >370 MB/sec sequential reads on my cheap SATA II motherboard.:)
    In the future though I will steer clear of Kingston after reading so much about the switch.:puke2:

update: Full ATX sata3 mobo now. Actual (real world) sequential performance of this drive are reasonably speedy read speeds pushing 500MB/s. But the write speeds are dismal at around 150MB/s. Actually a little slower than my big 2TB HDD. Ouch!
    At least the OS, programs and games on the SSD should be quick anyway. Just don't expect to quickly write huge files to it.:thumbdown

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  9. shagularpus

shagularpus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950ssc
    You can get these for a song now in the US. Less than half what they were a few years back.
    Mine's been relegated to hold some of my many (space hogging) games since I replaced it with a Samsung 850EVO 250GB as the main boot drive.

I do like the way modern flash storage is kinda like the LED bulb. They just don't fail catastrophically the way Incandescents and HDD's do:)

10. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Before returning your SSD I suggest making sure it is plugged into the AMD sata controllers and not a third party one, look at your motherboard instruction manual to find out which is which. Secondly try using a using a different benchmarking tool as AS SSD usually puts slower speeds than what you actually have. I recommend using ATTO disk benchmark instead.

Even after I put my Mushkin striker into the right sata slot AS SSD was still showing slow speeds but after running ATTO I discovered that my ssd was performing just fine with proper speeds.

Last edited: May 15, 2015

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    AS SSD is worst case scenario and it shound be used to measure your SSD speed. ATTO uses uncompressed data and it always shows rated speed.

12. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    AS SSD writes completely uncompressible data, normal user data is not completely uncompressible.

OP can always run AS SSD, ATTO, and Crystalmark to get a general feel.

I was simply letting him know that he shouldnt worry if AS SSD is giving him low scores and that there are other benchmarks that he can try.

13. shagularpus

shagularpus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950ssc
    Just ran the AS-SSD benchmark on mine after 2 1/2 years of use and 11.2 terabytes written.
    This is the original 505 firmware and represents normal operation IMHO.

[​IMG]

14. IronFinn

IronFinn Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X 2GB DDR5
    I read a couple days ago about the chip change. I wont be returning my Kingston drive the price is just too good. As for performance it is still slower than most modern drives (a difference of 100mb/s compared to Samsung EVO is what I read) -470mb/s seems to make sense! is your writing speed really 144mb/s? Cus the EVO writes at 520mb/s

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The definition of deception.