High DX11 CPU overhead, very low performance.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, May 4, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Wouldn't it be easier setting maximum cores in the BIOS and disabling HT?

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I am very happy with my bios settings and I prefer not to touch them with a ten feet pole. When it's time again, I'll do it with the bootloader method.

3. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    It will keep the first four logical, 0, 1, 2 and 3, but I'd say leave it be. It will probably just add more frame variance to the dual-core graphs from the windows processes, and I haven't found anything conclusive about scheduler differences/latencies when using an affinity mask.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That was my thought too. In the end, the app/game can only use what the affinity mask allows it to use. A lot of games (Dying Light, StarCraft 2, Heroes of the Storm) change their own affinity mask automatically to non-hyperthreaded cores automatically, which means that it probably works as advertised.

5. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    Removed for your own good

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe with your "help" it's possible to break a record of closed threads started by the same user in under 24 hours for one reason or another.

Your post is really REALLY helpful to this purpose.....

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Jesus, if that's not irony then I don't know what is.

If there is a "festering pile of noobs" here, you must be their King..

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-high-overhead-drivers-on-dx11.209726/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Priceless....:D

:ban:

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Reported for name calling.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Just another day at the zoo.. :p .,...

10. zerowalker

zerowalker Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    About the "run games in Duo or Quad".
    Confused, do you want to run on threads or cores?
    I mean if you got a Quad with HT, to run that as a Duo won't you have to shut down HT and then either force Windows to 2 cores, or just set process affinity to 2 cores?

Cause if you have HT on, isn't it a bit "risky" as it might run on a thread instead of a core?

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Not arguing for the reporting reason, but it kind of adds to the trolling by publicly stating why you report someone.

The report box reason is there... for a reason.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Figured that out myself.:)

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This is almost painful to watch..... these guys have way too much spare time. It's like being trapped inside a sanatorium where the patients have got loose. :D

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's actually pretty funny.

Because I remember back in the day, having the exact same conversation at TPU, only it was about NV drivers.
    And getting banned for stirring the trouble, but not before receiving PM insults from moderators, or perhaps it was within the thread itself, cant remember.
    The behavior from these mod(s) was so unprofessional that I sent email to W1zzard informing him about his mods. Haha silly me.

3 months later Nvidia released 270.something driver with sck.775 optimizations, effectively fixing the issue.

The key thing for getting things done IN ANY FORUM, is to stay on topic, and not get sidetracked by arguing over petty inconsequential things. For example see Vbs's posts.

15. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    :stewpid:
    You keep attacking people. Calling everyone noobs, liars, trolls and shills. If there's a speck of decency in between mods and site owners you will be the one who will be banned.

16. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    FFS its like denying climate change. Argument produced, evidence shown, now all we have to do is wait for AMD's reaction.

Its not like they'd ever admit it though. I'm sure we all noticed Matt's absence after the modded VSR driver hype.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I want to simulate an i3. So what I basically want is two "actual" cores plus two hyperthreaded cores. The "actual" cores are 0,2,4,6, 1,3,5,7 are hyperthreaded. The benchmarks are just that, the Dual results are 2c+2HT and the quad 4c+4HT.

PS: The guy calling Pill an idiot gets reported for namecalling, Pill and TK calling the rest of us a zoo is just fine I guess. :infinity:
    No, maybe Pill will put a line on Paint over a picture again and then I'll have evidence that that was misunderstood too.

18. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    thanks for making that point for me
    its amusing to watch you troll these threads tho a perfect example of how far guru3d has fallen you can't make a point grounded in facts or logic so you ****e post ... smooth
    gj on the selective quoting btw 10/10

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In a "perfect forums" world where everybody must follow the same rules it should be as you say.

In this case it seems that some users have special "powa" to do whatever they want without any kind of consequences for them apart closing other people threads.

Maybe VBS correct reaction had been different if he was who spend a lot of hours testing and benching to get a thread closed by a storm s***.

From the past experience you posted you must know how the things work when you must obey different rules than others.

20. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    its a matter of fast hardware being fast enough to offset the ****ty DX11 path in AMD's drivers and DX11 being **** over-all
    nvida went to great lengths to "optimize" there DX11 path more then implementing command lists and command string compression some of the stuff they have done is actually not per-the Microsoft DX11 spec and AMD's substandard programming shows
    AMD's drivers should have command-lists and command-string compression thats the bottom line here anything over that is gravy