What can DX12 really do for Xbox One?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Apr 28, 2015.

1. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Netflix already leak a updated version of XBone and PS4, end of 2015 this consoles get HDMI 2.0 and 4k Videoplayback.

I remember when the **** storm starts about console games about 30 fps cinema effects and no 1080p AMD give a statement that a update could be possible.

The only way to update this console without change the specs is a small architecture + add more ES-RAM to destroy the bottleneck.

And at the past we saw some upgrade on consoles. Nintendo Ram, Sega Ram+CD and even if you compare xbox 360 classic with the latest one everything was more fluid, clear and colourful, i would call it unofficial update.

So don´t exclude an update, this console generation its possible.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The 360 upgrade was only adding HDMI on board. There were no official upgrades to the memory, cpu, gpu, or chipset.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    That has nothing to do with the cpu/gpu or RAM being upgraded. The 360 added an hdmi port.

My point is the main board and hardware on it will not get upgraded on a console. It would fragment the market and developers wouldn't support the small user base it would have.

You either put up with sub 1080 or find a work around through software. That's how consoles work.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I thought that MS improved the cooling and decreased the size of the CPU of the Xbox360 or that doesn't count as a upgrade per say.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    They did, reduced the size of the gpu and cpu and eventually combined both chips.

Not an upgrade, just reduced heat and power consumption.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't say it's an upgrade, I would more say that it's just a new reversion of the 360. The CPU still performs the same, and just the internal motherboard's layout and cooling has changed.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Exactly, there are revisions of the same hardware. That's not an upgrade. The cpu is clocked the same, theres the same amount of ram, the gpu stays the same.

Revisions - not upgrades.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep but the XO not so much as the PS4.

XBO has a higher clocks speed on its CPU than the PS4 but the PS4 has a stronger GPU but lower clockspeed for the CPU.

Makes no sense. The PS4 CPU speed should be in the XO and vice versa to balance it out.

Weaker GPU needs weaker CPU to feed it, and stronger GPU needs stronger CPU to feed it.

Common sense really.

DX12 should make this a thing of the past though and make our hardware scale accordingly.

9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    That's the good thing about dx12, throw more weak cores at it and it will perform better (until the GPU is saturated).

The XO cpu clock speed edge over the PS4 isn't much. The thing with the PS4, is that the GPU is 50% more powerful than the X1.

dx 12 on the XO or even Vulkan on PS4 won't be as big of a deal as these API's on PC because a good dev can already wring out performance on closed hardware.

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    XBO's very small % of cpu that is better than ps4 really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme. To my understanding PS4 is made/designed for a lot of instructions that would normally go through the cpu, to now go through the gpu.

11. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Dream on.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, an upgraded Xbox would piss off alot of existing owners unless MS was subsidising it, which is very very unlikely.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I will hope ps5 and xbox 2? or whatever it is will come before 2018 :D Since consoles will be left to dust next year easy...

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think consoles will peak next year. Uncharted 4, God of War, Dead Island 2. I think 2017 is where consoles will start to fade visually.

I like the idea of new systems by the end of 2018 - gives a 5 year life cycle like the old days.

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A simple answer for the OP question from The Witcher III lead engine programmer:

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/...1080p-With-DX12-Says-Witcher-3-Dev-66567.html

16. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    I think the only solution for MS is to overclock the cpu and gpu via software.
    Xbox has a very good heat dissipation sistem.

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    They already did that.

Didn't make much a difference.

So going further wouldn't be that great an idea

18. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    yeah but it's the only one solution.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    There is only so far they can push the system.

Sure they do have a beefy heatsink on the APU (CPU+GPU) but they would end up risking breaking through the 150W FCC regulation for this type of hardware.

I am sure I read that somewhere about the FCC putting a limit on the power that a console can use (ie power brick).

The Xbox One and PS4 have a 150W limit in their power bricks (PS4's being built inside the system).

If they were to overclock it, they maybe able to get around the regulation (if there is one I might be wrong) and they could just release a new power brick with a 180W-200W capacity. Allowing them to maybe push the system a little more.

I think doubt they would be able to achieve this properly though and not risk some people's systems from frying. Remember a living room can get pretty hot in the summer and with people using radiators in the winter. Also a lot of people don't look after their system either. I consistently see people covering up the vents on consoles with DVD's, Games, other hardware, etc. I also see people not cleaning as often as they should and dust can be a massive factor.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    All of the above, it's not a good tactical move by microsoft.

Think about how much money the lost with 360s breaking, I don't remember any investigative piece being done on the numbers in total millions but the % was high on early models.

It was a gamble they knew they could take to overclock, and it's likely the power brick was scaled up for that, power usage and heat doesn't scale linear with mhz increase as anyone who bothers to overclock would know. And the more you overclock the more you introduce chip errors made during manufacturing, the original xbox 1 spec was for 1.6ghz, so to get them ALL to that level they would have had to contact AMD and ask them to make sure all chips going to them could guarantee 1.75ghz, that costs money, the fact that there's a website (silicon lottery) for pc chips based on that principle.