HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Just bother to read my last 2 posts

DOA5 uses logarithmic depth buffer, which is really bad for injectable shaders.
    Neither injecting it via tools like reshade nor attempting AO flags will work (i don't even think that there are flags for logarithmic depth buffers).

Unless NVIDIA will make a flag specific for DOA5 (unlikely) or a set of flags for logarithmic DB, we're out of luck here.
    Even if there was a set of applicable flags, the DB is very simplistic, like a cutout book diorama, there's not enough DB detail for AO to work on.

2. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670/2 gigs
    yeah I read your post, just didn't know what it meant. Thanks for the detail explanation. The depth map you took looks like its might work better because you don't have to apply AO to the characters to avoid any weird artifacts close up. Like AO in Tekken Tag 2.

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Well, it's not that good because most AO shaders were not made to support such DB by default.
    You can inject all sorts of AO (including HBAO+) using reshade, but they all are wonky due to DB nature.

Basically entire foreground is ignored and backdrop is shaded almost equally.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Damn, the Black Ops HBAO+ flag is VERY gpu taxing, i get 99% usage on both cards and 40-50fps.

There seems to be also a big input lag.

5. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    Yes. Much thanks for linking it. I didn't know it existed :) Good news: From what I could tell in a quick fix/no-fix comparison, the flickering is gone! Bad news: Many viewing angles murder the fps. Disabling AO brings back the fps. Must find another flag. 1F looks great though... F***. I'll get back to you.

Edit: Ok. More testing done.

Other flags either...
    • break the graphics + break the fps
    • show no AO + break the fps
    • show AO + break the fps (1F)
    • nothing; solid fps
    (this is with the WS fix)

So basically there's no best of both worlds. Fortunately, for the most part, after playing thru a few parts, the fps did not break that often, and in some parts, zero occurrences. The first part was super abysmal (as low as 25 fps), but later on, it never dropped below 50 and didn't even happen that often. So far I think it's worth using 0x0000001F and WS fix.

So, we have 2 options:
    1) Use WS fix + AO: Random occurrences of not-too-often fps drops, no flickering. (seems worth it)
    2) Don't use WS fix + AO: No proper widescreen, predictable flickering, no fps problems.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    You can contact the fix author and ask his opinion about the FPS drops, maybe they are related to the custum d3d8.dll.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    This is exactly why it is always important to have a GPU usage monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X running in the background while testing AO flags.
    Are you sure those drops in FPS/GPU usage doesn't occur without the WS fix?

Perhaps you would want to try the excellent Flawless Widescreen application instead?
    http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

8. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    There are no fps drops without the WS fix. Also there are no fps drops without HBAO+ while using the WS fix. GPU usage is 30% maximum. Flawless Widescreen has no effect. The creator of the WS fix may be able to help.

9. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    I left a comment on the author's mod guide on Steam just notifying him about the issue. Later, I can try to contact him directly.

10. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Maybe you should try in his topic on GTAForums, his pretty active there.

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Never mind.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  12. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    Done.

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have been looking through most of the previous posts in the HBAO+ thread and found a few "unresolved" cases, which might be worth revisiting for the sake of closure.
    And I still think it is very important to include proper screenshot comparisons, to keep up a certain standard of reference and proof.

14. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Someone found a working flag for Star Wars Battlefront 2 (0x0000001F). It's really hard to do comparison shots since you're never quite in the same position but I can verify it works.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I did do more testing with RE6 in case you missed my other posts about it. I thoroughly tested till wits end in both the retail and benchmark. Nothing works.

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sorry, I must have missed that :)

17. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    since i cant get any feedback on this game as its not "important" it seems to anyone on this forum i have found a somewhat working code to enable hbao+ in star trek online using this 0x00000026 it causes issues with flickering and it stops working on movement ill try fixing this later today here's a screenshot of the effect.You can see it on the railing easiest or on the back wall where the square in the texture meets up and causes a line
    flag 0x00000024 has bleeding issues but no effect gets applied

Effect

Showing the effect in case you dont see it

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well, personally I don't do a lot of testing these days with how my set up is set up. I mostly leave it to everyone else by this point. The only recent testing I did was with FFXIV and that's because I play it.

And unfortunately that really is the best way you are going to get something done that you want seen. Is to do it yourself. Is what most of us have had to do.
    Sometimes people will test for others. Which does happen a bit, but again that's ultimately up to others.

So if 26 is working but flickers,
    maybe try

0x00000022
    0x00000016
    0x00000036
    0x00000013
    0x00000017
    0x00000056
    0x00000096
    0x000000D6
    0x00000816

Just hunches

19. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    i found the 26 flag from finding games that were similar to the msaa flag im using in game msaa sucks.Ive tried over 20 flags yesterday they either come with a fps drop flicker or just dont work at all.Ive been trying to get a reply back on this topic from u or another person to see if they had any flag suggestions to help narrow it down.Ive been pushing this issue with the game devs for the past few months ive even fixed their shader code in the game but the game refuses to load it externally its at the point either make a dx9/11 hook or get driver hbao+ working

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It makes no sense to try and find patterns with the HBAO+ flags.
    UE3 games and a few other specific game series seem to be the only exceptions to this rule.
    But of course experience helps in the process.

AO testing is simply hard work, plain and simple :)