is it me or isn't Turok a really good game by today standards

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 8, 2015.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i was watching a youtube vid, and turok was a vid on the side, i clicked it, man the game had vegetation physics, while the character passes, this game is like 8 years old maybe.the level design is great also.

2. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    7 years old. Game was pretty fun, nothing special, just a good shooter. The good news is that the Dinosaur Hunter will get re-release.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I can't say I liked the Turok reboot. I love the original one though.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The first two games were fantastic, the rest were pretty poor in my opinion. The second has one of my favourite weapons of all time though, the Cerebral Bore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEKLa373SIw

Last edited: May 8, 2015

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Loved the original Turok Dinsoaur Hunter. I remember buying it for my new N64 back in 1996 (I think it was) when it cost £60 plus another £25 for the 8 KB memory card I needed to save my progress. And say games are expensive now!!! lol

The game has not aged very well though IMO. The draw distance is awful but the level design was impressive for its time and it was a decent length too (amazing for an 8 MB cart). Turok 2 was a much, much better game though and I got to play that on PC as well a few years later.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I loved Turok 1 and 2, can still remember one of the cheats 'bewareoblivionisathand'.

Multiplayer in Turok 2 was a blast and some of the weapon design was amazing, it's a shame Acclaim went under, they had some good games under their belt.

8. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I used to play it and liked it to a degree but as draw distances and other gfx got better in games I never went back to it. Now I only have memories of the dinosaurs. And waiting like others for a new dino game with fancy graphics. Yeah I'm mostly a graphics person as far as games.

The rest of this is about substitutes, maybe:

I guess there may be some dino mods for Skyrim. I could try those but that wouldn't be like a real full fledged dino game right? Unless the mod has lots of dinos and dino activities. And some decent missions too. I mean missions can compliment all the nice looking graphics of course.

Or heck maybe there are a few dinos roaming around in Guild Wars 2 (online game) or ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) both of with I have. But again it wouldn't be like a real dino game.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I never played the original on N64, but I played the sh1t out of the PC version on my Voodoo 3Dfx. It was jaw dropping. It's funny how we didn't care about the 20m draw distance, right?

I was a real graphics whore back then, but that's understandable, devs really liked to push boundaries back then. I'll never forget the early days of 3Dfx. Turok, Quake, Unreal and many other games just looked incredible.

Quake 3Dfx will remain one of my most cherished gaming memories. It was breathtaking!!!

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It is already on PC. Have the original disk along with Star Wars - SOTE (another n64-pc release).

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    But do they work on modern pcs and OS's?

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    There was a racing game Acclaim had, Xtreme GX2 or something.

we bloody loved that game. I still remember playing it.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The first Turok on the N64 was a great game. Well over the top weapons. Have not played any of the others though.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Extreme G, I still play it from time to time. Hands down the best futuristic racer I've ever played, the sense of speed with the better bikes was incredible. Cracking soundtrack also tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGbtMg9En5w

Edit: Changed the link since the other one had an awful player that was clearly cheating.

15. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I too loved it on the Ninty 64.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It was an OK game. I wasn't ever really into it that much. Most of my time was spent playing Goldeneye back then. The latest Turok game released on last gen consoles was absolutely terrible. I got to the 3rd level and just couldn't play it anymore.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I remember playing Turok 1 or 2 on PC and it was a blast. I loved how we could blast certain parts of the enemies with some weapons like the shotgun, it was really a cool game. A remastered version for PC would be welcome.

18. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    the first turok games were a lot of fun but it in my opinion it never was that great of a game people used to make of it.

the last incarnation on the pc was a disappointment, i tried to like it but quit eventually rather early, at that time a lot of other great games could be played

19. CryZENx

CryZENx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0
    anyone want turok 3 as a remake? :banana
    i made models in HD actually :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015