Google Launches Android M Late May

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Google will introduce a new version of Android called Android M in late may at its I/O event. It's not mentioned what new features the OS will get but Google does hint about Voice Access....

Google Launches Android M Late May

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Gives everyone access to through their voice alone? Another feature disabled on my devices then :D

3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    A new version when 5.0/5.1 has such an awesome market share :flip:

4. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    2 devices running 5.0 (GS5) & 1 running 5.1.1 (N7 13) & 1 running 5.1 (N7 12) here. Instead of complaining, you could buy products that are actually supported for a decent amount of time.

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Android Milkshake.

I´m running 5.1.1 so bring it.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You mean like the Nexus 9, a Google tablet which just 5.0.2?

Google is definitely dropping the ball on updates. I get that OEMs/Operators delay updates, but if Google can't keep it's own Nexus devices at the latest, I don't expect OEM's to do it either. They need to improve the updating process somehow.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm just wondering why they're already working on the next 'big' upgrade, since 5 barely saw any use. Just to include voice commands? I hope they don't want to do a win10 fail and put it on every device, no matter of what nature it is... that never helps imho.

8. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Ok i'll pass this one,waiting for the XXX version.

9. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Same here, I have 5.1.1 on 3 devices, but it's not about the 0,0001% (us), it's about the entire Android world. OEM's are lagging behind and even some Nexus devices! Sony for example dropped the entire low to mid segment! That's bloody insane.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Lollipop barely has 10% adoption rate!

The devices you listed were top spec'd and high supported devices. Samsung is known for dropping support of a phone because of low sales or something like that. Support should not be based on units sold like it is, not everyone has the money to afford a flagship phone.

Last edited: May 7, 2015

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i'm waiting for official rom, or say cloudy version of 5.1.1 for LG G3.

12. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I hate to say this, but i´m switching to iOS on my next phone. After many many years, i´m willing to try the competition. This, thanks to Samsung and Google.

13. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Yeah, but...

We are always critical to MS about these things because they are late in mobile, but lets face it. Android M: announced in May, available late autumn, mainstream in late 2016 if ever.

14. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    And looking at the issues 5.0.x faced... I sincerely hope they don't drop the ball again. I've been an Android user since 0.9 until now and to be honest, it's turning into a cr*pfest. Especially when OEM's decide that the previous mid phone is supposed to be under powered when EG: 4.4.x (Kit Kat) was AIMED AT LOWER END DEVICES!

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The biggest issue Android faces is there are way too many Android devices. It's calmed down with the amount of devices the big names put out, but there are still too many and not enough differences between them either.

16. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Exactly, for every dollar in price difference there is a different device, which is nuts. Just look at Samsung, I can't make any sense of it and I'm a dev/tweaker/proffesional IT'er :bang: Imagine how the average consumer fares :') Not that it makes that much of a difference if you only use it for photos and Whatsapp.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well... tbh, for me it was pretty clear, not going for Samsung (like makaveli above), and for a device with pure android, being the Nexus 5. Can't say I've had regrets, never had troubles with my phone, it's OS, or Android 5.0 and the following.

But, I have to admit, I've never had an iPhone.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The new versions of android are not relevant to most, since they not getting the update, whetever it takes years or just stops.

Google need to make updating UNIFIED, we the users most choose wherever to update or not, not the opposite.

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I swear the only reason they called Android 5 'lollipop' was because it sucked so much. Literally every device I installed it on had some sort of major bug. My S4 never even got the lollipop update because the update was so crap on other regions it got pulled before it rolled out on mine!

I don't see the point of lollipop, it didn't appear to bring anything useful to the table and made simple things more complicated. Hopefully 'M' does better, though I don't think it could really do any worse. Then again I don't mind staying on kitkat, it's been the best version imo.

20. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    True, I agree completely with morbias. If there were no devs on XDA etc we would be doomed. For me it feels like 5.X was meant as a major test for ART 1.0, it wasn't yet fully implemented ;) Curious what "M" will offer.