running in 144htz issue with overdrive feature

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DualCORE1, May 6, 2015.

1. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    ]hi iam getting weird artifacts when running in 144htz refresh rate with overdrive on not ati overdrive, doesn't happen when set in 120 htz mode, iam running eyefinity setup with 2 bizlink active mini dvi adapters and 1 duel link dvi cable,144htz mode runs fine if i switch off overdrive but from my understanding, having overdrive on helps with ghosting and gives you a faster responce time rather than the 5ms as standard with monitor,

screenshot of issue i have been having
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You're talking about the overdrive setting on the monitor itself right? I don't see how it can possibly be the video card in that case since that setting has nothing to do with the GPU but it looks like its happening on two monitors which is weird.

Turn overdrive off and see if you notice ghosting. To be honest, on my Swift I don't notice a difference between off, normal, and extreme overdrive settings.

3. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    yeah overdrive on monitor, anyways haven't noticed any ghosting with overdrive off so probably leave it turned off seen as though its not causing any issues with gaming etc, yeah 3rd monitor with duel link cable plugged in runs fine, it isnt monitors as i have tryed duel link cable on them all and no issues. any idea what direct drive mode setting does on monitor?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You shouldn't be using "extra" overdrive on a high refresh rate monitor to begin with. If you're using a VG248QE it doesn't even have a built in scaler, so don't bother. If you want to reduce ghosting, set the trace free setting in the monitor's OSD to 60 or 80. Adding extra overdrive is just asking for inverse ghosting and glitches, like you're seeing.

Last edited: May 7, 2015

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can't really speak from experience, but with the Asus Swift and the Acer 144Hz IPS panel, the recommondations always were to not turn up monitor sided overdrive to it's fullest, usually the 'normal' on setting.

6. DualCORE1

DualCORE1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    even having overdrive on nomal setting overdrive causes same artifacts:-(

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Monitor based overdrive is only helpful when running 60Hz anything over that and it becomes increasingly useless and at 144Hz you shouldn't need it at all

pixel clock rate vs refresh rate at 144Hz it's probably near to 1:1 ratio