Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    i'd love to see how these new i7's perform in relation to the likes of sandybridge or ivybridge... the generational bumps of 5% here, 5% there in performance must be starting to add up by now.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well it was about time. My 2500k at 4.8ghz is still kickin but if this chips can be good overclockers i'm considering upgrading this time.

We'll see. All i know im not interested in Broadwell at all.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ~14% over 4790K in 3dMark and Cinebench is HUGE

those graphs are :stewpid:

4. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    They already have added up, nice boost jumping from Sandy to Haswell. I guess many people don't care about anything else other than performance. If that's the case they should really be looking at six or eight core machines.. that's how you gain the raw performance now.. They can only tweak so much out of a single core per generation. We aren't going to see anything large come about until a full redesign is done and those machines will be likely dozens of cores.

I'm expecting about 15-20% on the CPU side of things vs a 4790K, GPU will be a lot faster, can't wait to see the full review, I think this will be a must buy.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So it has ~ 300mhz overhead, ok except in cinebench15, guess I'll be fine until CannonLake+

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'll be fine forever at this rate. Until software catches up, upgrading is a moot point.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If only they put 6cores 6threds to i5's and 6cores 12threds to i7's they would made all Sandy/Ivy/Haswell chips obsolete. I guess that wasnt the plan, not yet.

8. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I agree, that's what they should do. But they won't because of production costs most likely. Gotta make that 120% margin. Plus they know people keep buying 4 core i5's, since it's not like they're bad now. Software is just too behind for it to matter.

What? The 5820K has a lower clock speed out of the box. At 4Ghz I can't imagine many games where it wouldn't be the same or ahead of the 4790K. It also has more L3 cache, and DDR4 support (which theoretically is an advantage that will get better and better over time as DDR4 starts to pull way ahead in performance).

It's just a better CPU. Is it worth the cost? That depends on what you're using it for. If you only game? Probably not.

10. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    That's why LGA2011 exists!
    We need to see what dx12 brings first, as it is now gamers have little to gain by upgrading, here's a rough example.

11. stillborn

stillborn Guest

GPU:
    gtx580
    Well last paragraph on the souce site says its an estimation based on previous models of intel. So yes its totally fake. I wonder why they bothered with such thing to draw attention.

12. B0GiE-uk-

B0GiE-uk- Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6Gb
    Another poxy 10% incremental chip from intel. Still no point upgrading from my 3770k.

And they wonder why PC sales are in the doldrums.

13. nvanao

nvanao Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    If 6700K can't be more efficient than 4770K, at single core/thread used and stock speeds then I won't buy new 6700K.

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I think I'm going to spam your quote randomly in the thread because people are already starting to argue.

People! ESTIMATED benchmarks.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Because TDP has nothing to do with power consumption. TDP is a measure of the amount of heat, represented in watts, that has to be dissipated to maintain a safe operating temperature.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Because they are purposelessly simplifying TDP requirements for i5.
    No harm done if Intel overestimates TDP - you just end up with bigger than needed cooler.

Take i5-4440, TDP=84W and i7-4790k, TDP=88W

If 4790k runs 4cores, 8 threads, 4.2GHz and needs only 88W cooler as recomended by Intel,
    then i5-4440 running 4 cores, 3.3GHz can surely get away with less than recommended 84W cooler. But it doesn't hurt having better cooling.
    Which in turn equates to maximum sustainable power consumption.
    So you see TDP has everything to do with power consumption.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  17. lantian

lantian Guest

From translation I conclude, that these are predictions, they don't have a cpu at hand " We have prepared the following about the potential performance graphics processors Skylake curve. Intel i7 6700 benchmark test which takes place this comparison has been prepared on the basis of performances given by Intel's processors in the previous year."
    So they are guessing the performance from what we saw last year

18. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Very interesting thanks for the link it made some good reading ,

I've always gone for a i7 , but after reading all this article i might try saving myself a few quid on my next upgrade later this year and banging the money into the GPUs instead.

I will wait to see what the outcome of the new directx has on CPUs ,as it might just make better use of the hyper threading, only time will tell.

19. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Well, purely for gaming an i7 is not exactly worth it. You're indeed better off putting that difference into the GPU.

But like you said, that might change with dx12.

20. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    So, I was thinking putting a new system together with a 5820k. I'm still on the fence whether or not I should wait for Skylake-E or just pull the trigger. What do you guys think?