Fixing Micro-Stuttering in Fifa 13, 14, 15...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blackfyre, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thank you for your input. I'm going to try the Monitor Refresh Rate -1FPS = better input lag theory.

EDIT: After a full game I could say that input lag was 0 (you were right) but forcing 59FPS made the game stutter from start to finish (constant micro-stuttering) if I limit the FPS.

EDIT #2: I thought I could be a smarty by using CRU to overclock my monitor to 63Hz, and use the "Game Settings" to Force 60 FPS, but I guess EA assume everyone owns a 60Hz monitor and rather than calling it v-sync, they named it FORCE 60 FPS, I know, I know, we all already knew (but yes, the game was just running at 63FPS). So it was useless. Basically if you have a 120Hz monitor and can do 120FPS, telling the game to "Limit FPS to 60" from the Game Settings Menu, you're probably just going to get 120FPS anyway (that's EA's wording for V-Sync).

So yes, after an hour or two of doing different tests with FPS capping, I gave up on it, FPS capping = Micro-Stutter galore with Fifa (well, based on my experience anyway, others are free to try and report back if otherwise). One thing I can confirm however, input lag is non-existent as reported above if you force your FPS to be lower than your monitor refresh rate. Thanks Vbs for that information.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Can you run FIFA in borderless window mode? There are some tools available on the net for this, if it's not directly supported by the game.

Borderless window uses a special rendering mode (compositing), which is natively vsyched and buffered, with minimal input lag. You should disable vsync and triple-buffering in this mode.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I'm going to run it in Windowed Mode first (with your suggestions), as opposed to full-screen, and I'll get back to you. But Fifa doesn't have Borderless Windowed Mode as an option. I've played games that do have it as an option, like Far Cry 4.

By the way, just as a side note, although input lag is there, using the Wired Xbox 360 Controller, I get nearly no input lag (it's barely noticeable), it's only really noticeable on the Wireless Logitech F710's (which are used predominantly by my brothers). I do get an unfair advantage while versing them :)

EDIT (Update #1):

Game is running at 300+ FPS in the Menu's and is super smooth (but only in the menu's), using Windowed Mode with V-Sync and Triple-Buffering OFF (putting them ON doesn't force V-Sync in Windows Mode by the way).

During gameplay, the game is running between 136FPS and 140FPS and it is constantly micro-stuttering (non-stop). (I thought it might be Aero related, so I tried with both Aero Enabled and Disabled, from the game settings and RadeonPro, and the results are the same).

EDIT (Update #2):

Decrease INPUT LAG for Controllers:

After multiple hours of testing I can confirm that applying the below settings, significantly decreased input lag (FOR FIFA 15) on wireless controllers (for my brothers) and eliminated it on the wired controller (for me).

There is no need to run the game in Windowed Mode.

SET:

Monitor Refresh-Rate = 59.950 (Set using CRU)

Tweaks:

Tick (Enable) Triple-Buffering
    VSync Mode = Double VSync
    Dynamic Frame-Rate Control = 118

Feedback from those having input-lag issues would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  4. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Yes, I used to lag/stutter a lot before I discovered the tweak.

And blackfyre wouldnt increasing refresh rate decrease input lag? wtf I dont have any problems with input lag even on my wireless 360 controller

You can also use bordered fullscreen program: http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

Do it manually, not from the game and it should be fine, otherwise disable bios settings that might increase it too.

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Couple of questions:

1. What do you want me to disable in the BIOS?

2. I tried Windowed Mode and the game was constantly stuttering, wouldn't Borderless Windowed Mode be the same?

Higher Refresh Rate is definitely better, but I found on a 60Hz monitor, setting it to 59.950, and using Double VSync, resulted in decreasing input lag.

By the way I bet the majority of people don't notice the input lag from the controllers (when it's minimal), when my friends who predominantly play on consoles come to verse us, they never notice the input lag; most people are just used to playing with that little bit of input lag (consoles and TV's input lag are usually greater than monitors input lag). But once you eliminate it (or decrease it rather to insignificant levels) and get used to it (it becomes easier to notice).

It's like once you game at 144Hz + Motion-Blur Reduction (Strobing), and go back to gaming at 60Hz, you can't help but notice the forever existing motion-blur that somehow you never noticed before.

6. xeltic

xeltic Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x
    Disable power saving options, diskdrives(cd rom etc whatever you dont need)

Use windowed mode with the windowed borderless program so your native refresh rate is applied from windows sorry my explanation sucks :banana:

You can also use dcp latency to check how responsive your comp is and input lag is noticible man you're right , I got a crt also which I use for competitive FPS games like QL,CS and smash melee the difference is night and day lol

What is double vysnc btw? RP setting?

7. Dreamcream

Dreamcream Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X
    Thank you mate. I can play Fifa 13 without stuttering with this program.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I play with a good wired mouse/keyboard combo, and I use the Direct Input option. Everything else gives stutter when you turn in a car etc. I play the game in first person mode almost exclusively.

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Wrong thread mate haha unless you're driving cars in a soccer game? In which case you're cheating. :3eyes:

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I confused it with the GTA V thread, lol sorry :banana: :)

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It must be a side effect of low BRAIN usage caused by AMD drivers...:D

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Can those suffering from Micro-Stuttering in Fifa please test VBS Driver 1023.3 (latest one currently available) and get back to me?

Please test for at least 30 minutes. This seems to have fixed that ONE occasional infamous lag-spike that occurs once every 20 or so minutes. I played for 3 hours yesterday, and 2 hours today, with not a single micro-stutter and/or lag spike for the first time.

Maybe AMDMatt forwarded my request to the driver team. In which case, thank you!

13. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015