Steam is monetizing mods. Yes, you read that right.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Seketh, Apr 24, 2015.

1. -Maxx-

-Maxx- Guest

GPU:
    GTS 450 1GB 824/4252 Mod
    I think Valve is wrong making this decision. I'll try to make a point:

1) It's wrong to introduce paid mods into a consolidated modding environment like TES V one because it may likely cause an important loss of balance in the modding scene of the game.

2) It's wrong to give such an unfair slice of the cake to the content creator because he'll probably be obliged to charge an higher price in order to make a decent income.

3) It's wrong the refunding system because 24 hours is a too little amount of time to completely understand the goodness of a mod (I'm thinking about the bigger ones particularly).

4) It's wrong to put a price tag because it's pretty discouraging for people to buy before trying something like a mod.

My solution?

A donate button for every mod and Valve takes a really small percentage to cover storage/bandwidth costs (5 to 10% of any donation may be fair enough); nothing for the developers and the publishers, they already benefit from the presence of the mods as an incentive for new people to buy their game.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This sums up my thoughts exactly on this whole mess.

[​IMG]

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have no issue with paying for good mods. This is how I would like to see it handled.

1. Steam approach a modder who has a mod on Workshop and offer them to sell their mod.
    2. Steam let the modder decide wether he wants to make money from his mod, if so, modder dictates how much he wants to charge for it
    3. Steam takes 10% cut from the sales for enabling a platform for this to happen
    4. Game developer takes 10% cut from the sales for making the game
    5. Modder takes 80% of the sales

Either this ^ or simply allow a "donate" button under the mod. Money still split the same way.

Taking 75% away from the modders is disgusting, simple as that.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The Workshop doesn't even load anymore.

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I would say it's more complicated than that, Valve need to bloody put some effort into curating the workshop.

This post is from reddit and I agree with everything.

This thread title was : If modders got 75-100% of the mods they sell would you be okay with it?

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    of course. then there's licensing issues and copyright issues. Still, I was just trying to point out the sickening profit share put in place by Valve.

There's so many potential pitfalls in taking this forward that I think Valve will struggle to get this scheme going legitimately, anyway. All they're doing atm is tarnishing their reputation and pissing people off.

7. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Apparently Bethesda didn't know anything about it either. LOL

[​IMG]

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    [​IMG]

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Can't wait for Valve to come out and say that this is of course happening in co-operation with Bethesda and that they're both in on it. This will make Bethesda look like liars and Valve suddenly will look slightly better, because they're the lesser out of the 2 evils.

Wait for it...

EDIT: That TESO support guy will get the sack.

10. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    [​IMG]

11. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    This whole situation seems to be serving nobody right now. The terms for modders are bad, the internet doesn't like paying for content without support or QA, Valve and Bethesda seem like turds for disrupting the modding community for seemingly meager payout.

Can someone just pull the plug on this?

12. -Maxx-

-Maxx- Guest

GPU:
    GTS 450 1GB 824/4252 Mod
    I can't believe that Valve is doing this in the same year they are launching the Steam Machine and all the other things related to it, how can they be so short-sighted?

13. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Steam Machine is going to be a big bust.. That's just Valve catering to "PC Master Race" folks.. It's basically Alienware 2.0 w/ Linux

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ohh man I get that quote that ****ing funny.

15. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Thank god someone got it..

Edit: To those who didn't.. When the U.S. was invading Iraq back in the day this was their PR person. Who kept denying the U.S. was in fact invading Iraq.. When in reality their was U.S. tanks literally blocks away from his press conferences... Invading Iraq

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    At that point there were American tanks in central Baghdad...

So yeah.. that.. that quote.. just... winning.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  18. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
  19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well hes right. And this quote, from 2011, has nothing to do with modding and the sale of mods. Gabe is referring to complete games and how we access them.

Lets not go misquoting and twisting things for the sake of an argument.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7oIjBMY3Q
    Boogie also has a pretty level headed response to this. Though, the flaw I see with his logic is, he is upset about the 75/25 split, then complains they don't have the means to police the system. Ideally, the fact they take that cut means they WILL have the means to get people to police it. Sure, it remains to be seen if it will work out that way. Other then that, he has pretty much stated the same I have already said here.

And yeah, crap like that picture is why Reddit is trash. Full of misinformation, which I think is the main reason why people are loosing their heads over something so benign, and if worked on has great potential.