Samsung Magician 4.6 Download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    I am too getting this message

Samsung does not have enough money to spend on bandwidth quota !!! anyway thanks for guru3d for the news and the download link.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
  3. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I finally updated the firmware and now I have an "Advanced Performance Optimization" option.

I ran it and it fixed my low random writes. From 18000 to 81000!

Now, the question is if with the new firmware performance will be consistent, or will we need to run the new option from time to time.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The firmware/software automatically triggers the optimization when it determines its necessary. It also eats about a 10th of a percentage of wear on the drive each time it runs.

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Here are my benches.
    [​IMG]

Not that good, IMO.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Updated my 840 Evo to the latest firmware with Magician 4.6 - no issues, read speeds of old data still perfect for now. The latest firmware is supposed to fix the issue of Read Speed Degredation of Old Data - only time will tell though!

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I don`t think they would of put the evo fix in Magician if it was permanent. Time will tell though. Big waste of writes just doing that tbh.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The real 'Evo Fix' is the new firmware that was released for the 840 Evo with this latest version of Magician v4.6. The "Advanced Optimisation" tab of Magician that you're probably referring to is an additional way of gaining performance by defragging, the firmware by itself is supposed to fix the read speed degredation of old data, "Advanced Optimisation" is just a nice to have extra really.

(I did the Advanced Optimisation on my drive and it only put 20GB of writes extra onto the drive - no biggie at all!)

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    It is supposed to be the fix. Rewriting old data will def "fix" it as well being doing that a long time. How big is your drive?

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    No it's not, the firmware is the main fix, it re-writes old data more often than the previous firmware, as well as supposedly improving the ability of the drive to read old data that hasn't been re-written already (related to the voltage drift). The Advanced Optimisation function in Magician is designed to defrag the data to make it contiguous from the SSD's point of view, thereby further increasing performance beyond a 'normally' performing drive. Here's the info on it:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...Q-Firmware-Review-Finally-Fixed/After-and-Opt

and here:
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...DB6Q-Firmware-Review-Finally-Fixed/Conclusion

By definition the Advanced Optimisation feature will also rewrite a lot of the data, and therefore improve read speeds if the firmware hasn't yet been given a chance to refresh the old data itself with a necessary period of idle time.

(My drive is 250GB, with 10% over provisioning, and also 23GB of Free Space)

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    When I did it it used about 80gb.

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Cool, it must just come down to how much data you have on your drive & also how fragmented that data is. The more data you have & the more fragmented it is, then the the more writes the "Advanced Performance Optimisation" function will use I imagine. The data on my drive probably wasn't very fragmented - (I had re-imaged my OS drive and Games Partition about a month previous, so I probably had low fragmentation and therefore only 20GB writes with the "Advanced Performance Optimisation" function).

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Well dandy for you I guess.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So what to do now? I'm running two 840evos with stock firmware and never ran the performance restoration tool. The next step would be installing the new Magician crapware, and what to do then?

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    And dandy for you too, I wouldn't fret about 80GB of writes!

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Just install Magician 4.6 & update the firmware - should hopefully fix it, better than leaving it with whatever you have now! Simple! It does look like they've finally fixed this, but we can't tell for sure until another 6 months down the line!

EDIT: Use the Read Speed Tester at this site to periodically check read speeds of old data (it's been created specifically to monitor the Evo problem - SSDReadSpeedTester2.04.zip.):
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1512915/...es-benchmarks-needed-to-confirm-affected-ssds

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Okay, will give it a try once the SSD needs to be formatted for my next setup anyway.

18. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    i ran the magician benchmark before updating and i had higher read / write / etc than after the update.

Everything dropped after the firmware update, not by much but still dropped.

19. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Optimize the drive a couple of times and it should be back to normal.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Worked perfectly.

Here are my 120GB 840 EVO scores right before the firmware update, and after with one optimization run. Now my scores are way above even Magician's recommended scores for my drive. Check out the Random IOPS difference!

[​IMG]