Review: Fractal Design Define S

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Silence and aesthetics, two keywords to keep in mind with the new Fractal Design Define S. We review the Design Define S, a silent, stylish mid-tower chassis. This all predominantly black and white ch...

Review: Fractal Design Define S

2. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Finally! Someone with enough cojones to remove the ugly drive cages from the front and re-allocate them in the back, they don't need to be visible and obstruct the air flow, great job FD and very good pricing too!!!

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I always liked their way of building cases. I bet it's one of the most silent cases in it's respective size division. Certainly it could house a nice small gaming rig, an office PC or small workstation, and if you can go without the optical drive it certainly could house a nice HTPC due to it's low noise. The only downside: the price tag that not exactly says 'I'm a small case' :D

4. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I am just glad that they have gone back to clear windows. I bought the Arc Midi R2 with the tinted window and I have to say that as good as the case is, I do regret the purchase.

5. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    Wake me up when Fractal releases a microATX case that's as small/light/aesthetically pleasing as the still unbeatable "Silverstone Temjin TJ08-e", but retains Fractal Design noise reduction and advanced air and liquid cooling options in a modular case config. Will pay whatever it takes for that. Will not pay for anything less.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Wow i like this, only thing that i not fond of is there is no ODD bay then again i barely use my ODD so maybe i might break down and get external Bluray burner, love the fact all the HDD/SSD have been moved to behind the motherboard plate. nothing is restricting the fans now no HDD cages, just components on the motherboard

This or the Define S or R5 Black. will be used in my next build.

Define S
    (WxHxD): 233 x 451 x 520mm 79-89$
    R5
    (WxHxD): 232 x 451 x 521mm 110-120$

The R5 is pretty much same dimensions and it costs alot more neither are small cases i dont even see them as mid size either.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I haven't had a optical drive in my computer since 2007. I don't miss it.

I like how clean this case is. Might start using it for my midrange builds.

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    These make a nice tower case for the Amiga A1200, provided you machine your own backplate!

9. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    And if you do need an optical drive you can always buy an external USB drive for it.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm happy my Define R4 has no window. I don't need to see my PC's guts all the time. A person with a transparent skin/muscles would be disgusting, with all the internal organs visible, and so is a PC with a transparent side window.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1x 140mm heavily obscured front fan, 1x 140mm rear fan
    means an additional (front) intake fan should be installed to ensure positive pressure.

LOL same here
    CD/DVD has been terrible media for me, matched only by their god awful drives themselves

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Only time use my ODD now is when I need to burn an iso of one of my ps2 games. not sure why it still installed on my pc.

But i got say i like the Define s and it HDD/SSD location

13. Darksword

Darksword Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 980 Ti
    How come there were no pictures of a full build inside the case? Why were there no temperature benchmarks? Was there some need to rush this review out or something? Why not actually show us how the case works with any actual system inside it?

I don't get it. It's a nice overview, but not really a "review".

14. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Just what I need, nothing more. Well, maybe a similar case with better upper radiator support (noise cancelling).

---
    Small typo (page 6):

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I do want a new case to upgrade from a Hafx but am missing something. I have a dual res and pump (ocool repack) and also have a fan controller and I still use a dvd/cd drive (although yeah dont need this perhaps anymore although I still burn a cd from time to time).

I like the idea of something more stylish that I can fit my 360 rad but where would the pump/res combo go?

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, I didn't notice they were almost the same size! But, tbh, if the decision comes down to a size dependent one, I'd still go with the R5 due it's advanced options. I personally don't mind the OD cage that much, but I understand that people might find the additional space useful.

I hear you. I'll be dropping my OD for the first time with my next gaming rig, since I haven't used the one in my current one in a couple of years, and I still got my HTPC to brun my CDs/DVDs/BRs.